Kieran Tierney... - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Kieran Tierney...

Big Ramy 1314

8 hours ago, Bzzzz said:

Even Gazza managed to learn enough Italian to get by, if he can then... IMO there's no real excuse for "not adjusting" when you're a rich young person with everything on a plate... I'd LOVE to see more Scottish players go abroad, Lewis Ferguson has shown how it CAN be done, maybe we're no as shite as we're constantly told we are!? 

I think we underestimate how daft cognitively football players are for something like learning a language. Watched an interview with KT a couple of weeks back about being in Spain and it sounded like he was still trying to get his head round yes no please thank you despite having Spanish tutors in after training every day

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/8/2024 at 1:26 PM, Diamond Scot said:

A few of my mates have moved abroad and loved it.

The reason why I havent are things like wanting to be close to family etc but these day to day concerns are largely taken away if you have money. Ie if a parent falls ill you could private jet back in a couple of hours.

I'd love to work abroad, if the right thing came up I'd be offski! (see that!? I'm good with languages!)

Massive player for Scotland.

I know Mctominay got the glory for the goals vs Spain and rightly so but they couldn't handle Tierney's pace for the second.

We all know he is homesick and wants to go back to Glasgow, but Celtic can't afford the transfer fee or wages.

Newcastle would have been ideal for him. 

Hope hes match fit for June

20 hours ago, GroundsKeeper said:

I know Mctominay got the glory for the goals vs Spain and rightly so but they couldn't handle Tierney's pace for the second.

We all know he is homesick and wants to go back to Glasgow, but Celtic can't afford the transfer fee or wages.

Villa would be my choice. Great manager who is getting the best out of mcginn. I think Tierney would really excel there.

On 1/10/2024 at 11:18 AM, mccaughey85 said:

Villa would be my choice. Great manager who is getting the best out of mcginn. I think Tierney would really excel there.

would definitely do a job at Hearts and could use the Shankland money to bring him in

On 1/9/2024 at 2:36 PM, GroundsKeeper said:

This x100. We are a completely different team with a fully fit Tierney. Possibly the most underrated player in the current squad (other than maybe McGregor?)

On 1/9/2024 at 10:36 PM, GroundsKeeper said:

Tierney is the player we are most worried about losing as I reckon with his record there is a 50/50 chance he will have another injury before the summer we just have to hope he gets only a knock that keeps him out for a couple of weeks rather than anything more serious.

Absolutely love KT, my fav Scottish player & he is so key to how we play, be absolutely gutted for him & us if he was to miss another major championship .

Where is proof he is homesick for Glasgow? Please KT don't return to that level of football until you're 30+

7 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Tierney is the player we are most worried about losing as I reckon with his record there is a 50/50 chance he will have another injury before the summer we just have to hope he gets only a knock that keeps him out for a couple of weeks rather than anything more serious.

Absolutely love KT, my fav Scottish player & he is so key to how we play, be absolutely gutted for him & us if he was to miss another major championship .

Where is proof he is homesick for Glasgow? Please KT don't return to that level of football until you're 30+

There have been a lot of interviews about him seeing leaving Glasgow as a massive step. Anywhere he goes in his career after is much easier he says which is why he jumped at the chance to go to Spain. Says he would one day like to return etc

I can honestly say after nearly 7 years of living away that I miss Glasgow a lot. But deep down I know a permanent move back there wouldn't be the answer until much later. I think a lot of Glaswegians can relate to this feeling tbh.

Although still haven't looked into the background of KT being born on Isle of Man?

Well Athletic Bilbao's policy of only picking Basque players and Sociedad only Basque and a small number of foreigners creates that situation every year. Would be interesting to see how the OF teams, or indeed most the SPL would cope with that local player policy!

Edited by mcnish
Correction

7 hours ago, mcnish said:

Well Athletic Bilbao's policy of only picking Basque players and Sociedad only Basque and a small number of foreigners creates that situation every year. Would be interesting to see how the OF teams, or indeed most the SPL would cope with that local player policy!

I guess for years until fairly recently Rangers and Celtic were split completely between protestant or catholic backgrounds (or at least Celtic or Rangers supporting families) for home grown players. I suppose that could be a Glasgow equivalent of the Basque region exclusivity with these teams. But to be honest it doesn't make sense to make that comparison to Country the size of Scotland. It's more the equivalent of Leeds United only having Yorkshire players or a Cornwall team (can't think of any top level ones at the moment) having only Cornish players.

I'm sure Yorkshire have entered teams in some of these tournaments for unrecognized countries actually.

23 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

I guess for years until fairly recently Rangers and Celtic were split completely between protestant or catholic backgrounds (or at least Celtic or Rangers supporting families) for home grown players. 

So the story goes, if there was a choice to be made Jock Stein would always sign a protestant ahead of a catholic, because he knew Rangers would never sign the other guy.

1 minute ago, Toepoke said:

So the story goes, if there was a choice to be made Jock Stein would always sign a protestant ahead of a catholic, because he knew Rangers would never sign the other guy.

Aye admittedly the split would be historically much more on the Rangers side. Reminds me of that old Rikki Fulton sketch 

49 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Yeah, I'm not one for defending Celtic in general, but it's a bit unfair to lump them both together. Kenny Dalglish, Jock Stein and Danny McGrain are club legends and all protestant. That was in the 60s.

Rangers didn't sign a Catholic until Mo Johnston in the 90s. And I think their first Irish Catholic was Jon Daly around 2012.

On 1/15/2024 at 3:27 PM, er yir macaroon said:

Tierney should stay in Spain. Probably his best chance of being ready for the Euros.

He's there for the full season isn't he? Can't see Arsenal recalling him this month.

Beyond that I think Villa might come in for him as both their FBs are 30 + and they've been trying to move Digne on to Saudi land for last six months.

Emery signed him for Arsenal and he'd fit well into the formation they play I think as it dosen't require the full back to come into midfield as much, more up and down the wing which Tierney excels at. Villa also played a back 3 a few times away from home.

Would be a good move to continue playing CL as he's done this season.

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Sadly, seems Real Sociedad are not interested in signing Tierney:- https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/kieran-tierney-set-arsenal-transfer-31911448

A bit of a worry to think he'll have uncertainty over his future at club level. Not ideal for preparation for the Euros.

Or, puts himself in the shop window in Germany 

On 1/14/2024 at 9:19 AM, N4Footsoldier said:

I guess for years until fairly recently Rangers and Celtic were split completely between protestant or catholic backgrounds (or at least Celtic or Rangers supporting families) for home grown players.

Now that is complete and utter shite. 

Jock Stein wasn't catholic, neither were many of the Lions. 

I don't think Celtic have ever had a policy like that. Rangers, well we know they did until Souness. 

As others have said, don't think you can lump both clubs in together. Celtic have always signed players from various backgrounds. From experience, they've always had plenty non Catholics in their support too. 

Edited by Squirrelhumper

On 1/18/2024 at 3:42 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

Sadly, seems Real Sociedad are not interested in signing Tierney:- https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/kieran-tierney-set-arsenal-transfer-31911448

A bit of a worry to think he'll have uncertainty over his future at club level. Not ideal for preparation for the Euros.

I am guessing that arsenal would want more than they can afford. Shame as he is starting most weeks there and they are a decent side. 

I wonder how much arsenal are wanting for him. If it's under 15m then thats a bargain imo. Saying that he is injured alot so thats probably what knocks his price down.

On 1/18/2024 at 3:42 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

More like they can't afford the 25-30m Arsenal would want.

I presume he has one year left given he signed for Arsenal in 2019?

Could see likes of Villa, West Ham, Fulham and perhaps Newcastle all being in for him.

23 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Now that is complete and utter shite. 

Jock Stein wasn't catholic, neither were many of the Lions. 

I don't think Celtic have ever had a policy like that. Rangers, well we know they did until Souness. 

As others have said, don't think you can lump both clubs in together. Celtic have always signed players from various backgrounds. From experience, they've always had plenty non Catholics in their support too. 

Aye aye conceded as above