Season 22/23 - Page 33 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

38 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

It seems ridiculous to suggest a manager who took us to a European final 6 months ago should be under pressure.  However it seems to me that the European run was papering over the cracks of some very mediocre performances in the league and that has only got worse as we've progressed in to this season.  We are unbelievably dull to watch at the moment and seem to be going through the motions in every match.  As much as the manager needs to take his share of the blame for that the board and in particular Ross Wilson are culpable too.  The squad is really stale, summer recruitment was poor (Colak and Lawrence aside) and the ridiculous saga with Kent and Morelos's contracts is a further distraction we don't need.  They should either have had the contract situation sorted in the summer or sold.  We now face the distinct possibility of 2 players we could have got a combined £20M for in the summer leaving for nothing.

I'd like it work out for Gio, he seems like a nice guy, but I'm just not seeing anything from his demeanour or his tactics that shows me he can turn the form around.  I fear another spanking from Napoli midweek (4+) and if that is coupled with dropped points against Aberdeen it'll be very tough for him to come back from that.

Any thoughts on a replacement? I’ve seen some mention Michael Beale and wee Davie Martindale on Twitter 🤔

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

It seems ridiculous to suggest a manager who took us to a European final 6 months ago should be under pressure.  However it seems to me that the European run was papering over the cracks of some very mediocre performances in the league and that has only got worse as we've progressed in to this season.  We are unbelievably dull to watch at the moment and seem to be going through the motions in every match.  As much as the manager needs to take his share of the blame for that the board and in particular Ross Wilson are culpable too.  The squad is really stale, summer recruitment was poor (Colak and Lawrence aside) and the ridiculous saga with Kent and Morelos's contracts is a further distraction we don't need.  They should either have had the contract situation sorted in the summer or sold.  We now face the distinct possibility of 2 players we could have got a combined £20M for in the summer leaving for nothing.

I'd like it work out for Gio, he seems like a nice guy, but I'm just not seeing anything from his demeanour or his tactics that shows me he can turn the form around.  I fear another spanking from Napoli midweek (4+) and if that is coupled with dropped points against Aberdeen it'll be very tough for him to come back from that.

From what I saw of Rangers last season, mainly in Europe, the energy and drive in the team came from Bassey and Aribo (maybe some from Lundstram and Tavernier). They got good money for them but I don't see those qualities replaced.

2 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

How do you see the 2nd half going?  😁

Setting aside the recruitment problems at Rangers that ive banged on about previously, its clear that the current side arent working.

Id imagine its made worse because Celtic are playing with such energy, have a clear direction and are exciting to watch. Rangers always look very controlled but directionless. When the ball goes wide, you never get the impression that the winger is looking to drive into the box. So they consistently just move the ball about until a cross gets put in. 

Doesnt help that GVB consistenly plays with 2 and sometimes 3 defensive midfielders. Even in Europe this isnt a good idea as it makes ball retention almost impossible.

Domestically there is zero need for Rangers to play with more than 1 defensive player against anybody except Celtic. So for me that means 1 from Lundstrum, Jack, Davis, Kamara and imo probably Arfield aswell although could probably argue that he is slightly more attacking.

For example if Rangers setup with Lundstrum, Tilllman and Lowry CM with Kent and Sakala out wide and Colak through the middle they would have much better attacking movement and creativety without exposing themselves at the back.

2 hours ago, slasher said:

Any thoughts on a replacement? I’ve seen some mention Michael Beale and wee Davie Martindale on Twitter 🤔

Beale seems to be flavour of the month but he's just knocked back the EPL to stay with QPR so unless he has a strong affinity with us during his time here I can't see it.  Martindale is a non starter.  He's obviously a decent coach but doing it with Livi is a different proposition than at Rangers.  Maybe that's just me being snobby but it just won't happen.

Who would I go for?  No idea.  My first requirement would be someone that plays attacking, exciting football.  The boy Knutsen at Bodo Glimt seems to tick that box and has got his team over performing on a shoe string budget so he might be worth a look.  Other than that my knowledge is pretty limited.

2 hours ago, Bobster said:

From what I saw of Rangers last season, mainly in Europe, the energy and drive in the team came from Bassey and Aribo (maybe some from Lundstram and Tavernier). They got good money for them but I don't see those qualities replaced.

Kent was excellent in Europe last season.  Unfortunately those performances have been outliers over the last 12 months and at best he's a poor man's Peter Lovenkrands.

20 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Setting aside the recruitment problems at Rangers that ive banged on about previously, its clear that the current side arent working.

Id imagine its made worse because Celtic are playing with such energy, have a clear direction and are exciting to watch. Rangers always look very controlled but directionless. When the ball goes wide, you never get the impression that the winger is looking to drive into the box. So they consistently just move the ball about until a cross gets put in. 

Doesnt help that GVB consistenly plays with 2 and sometimes 3 defensive midfielders. Even in Europe this isnt a good idea as it makes ball retention almost impossible.

Domestically there is zero need for Rangers to play with more than 1 defensive player against anybody except Celtic. So for me that means 1 from Lundstrum, Jack, Davis, Kamara and imo probably Arfield aswell although could probably argue that he is slightly more attacking.

For example if Rangers setup with Lundstrum, Tilllman and Lowry CM with Kent and Sakala out wide and Colak through the middle they would have much better attacking movement and creativety without exposing themselves at the back.

Absolutely right. Jack and Davis need to go at the end of this season.  Jack is perma-injured and cant be relied upon.  Davis is still a good player but we need to move players like this on and create a pathway for the likes of Lowry and McCann who both look good prospects.  I will say though that more often than not I think we look a better team when Arfield plays as he's as close to a box to box midfielder as we've got and always carries a goal threat (domestically anyway).

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

Beale seems to be flavour of the month but he's just knocked back the EPL to stay with QPR so unless he has a strong affinity with us during his time here I can't see it.  Martindale is a non starter.  He's obviously a decent coach but doing it with Livi is a different proposition than at Rangers.  Maybe that's just me being snobby but it just won't happen.

Who would I go for?  No idea.  My first requirement would be someone that plays attacking, exciting football.  The boy Knutsen at Bodo Glimt seems to tick that box and has got his team over performing on a shoe string budget so he might be worth a look.  Other than that my knowledge is pretty limited.

Kent was excellent in Europe last season.  Unfortunately those performances have been outliers over the last 12 months and at best he's a poor man's Peter Lovenkrands.

Absolutely right. Jack and Davis need to go at the end of this season.  Jack is perma-injured and cant be relied upon.  Davis is still a good player but we need to move players like this on and create a pathway for the likes of Lowry and McCann who both look good prospects.  I will say though that more often than not I think we look a better team when Arfield plays as he's as close to a box to box midfielder as we've got and always carries a goal threat (domestically anyway).

Id agree regarding Arfield but thats more of a damming indictment of Rangers than a positive IMO. There was a thread in the summer where there was lots of back and forth about Lowry and more generally youth at Rangers getting into the team and becoming 1st choice. I said that resigning guys like Davis and Arfield cant just be looked at through the eyes of what they bring to the squad but also through what they take away from others in terms of opportunitys.

As it turns out Lowry has been injured however the point remains. Its much safer to through in Davis and Arfield than trusting somebody like McCann but all that does is stunt growth.

A good example is Leon King who has done fine since he came into the side. If all Rangers CBs were fit he wouldnt have got any real meaningful gametime. Devine not even starting at RB at home in the cup against a Championship side shows you Rangers views on youth progression.

Celtic reguarly play O'Reilly, Abada, Ralston and to a lesser extent Walsh. Sometimes teams need abit of youth to provide energy and a little abandonment that comes with youth.

8 hours ago, slasher said:

Someone mentioned to me at the weekend Duncan Ferguson with Souness in the background. They were drunk tho, or I was.

Surely it's got to be a foreign manager ?

No way they'd go for David Martindale (aka Jimmy Calderwood Mk. II) and I can't see see them going for Robbie Neilson either. They also won't go for Steve Clarke who has made it crystal clear in the past what he thinks of the bigots in the Rangers support.

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Surely it's got to be a foreign manager ?

No way they'd go for David Martindale (aka Jimmy Calderwood Mk. II) and I can't see see them going for Robbie Neilson either. They also won't go for Steve Clarke who has made it crystal clear in the past what he thinks of the bigots in the Rangers support.

It won’t be a Scottish manager as there basically aren’t any options. British? The only one I can think of that could be an option would be Sean Dyche but his brand of football isn’t what I’d be hoping for. 

Cheers for the reply to my question Fairbairn. Good to see it kicked off a football discussion. As for a replacement, one of the Rangers lads in my company on Saturday was saying he'd have Gerrard back in an instant, if, and as I was saying my Rangers mates seem to think it inevitable, Van Bronckhorst is shown the door. 

48 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

Cheers for the reply to my question Fairbairn. Good to see it kicked off a football discussion. As for a replacement, one of the Rangers lads in my company on Saturday was saying he'd have Gerrard back in an instant, if, and as I was saying my Rangers mates seem to think it inevitable, Van Bronckhorst is shown the door. 

I don't think Gerrard would be a good move for Rangers but it would give  the non OF fans a laugh. He was overrated IMO. He got ten in a row stopped but IMO that was partly down to what happened at Celtic Park, keeping lennon was a disaster, I said at the time Gerrard only needed to be semi competent to beat lennon. I genuiely think the current Celtic manager would have and would still wipe the floor with Gerrard.

53 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

I also see your team has draw Highland league opposition in the cup again, Formartine away. Fraserburgh drew Arbroath at home. 

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I also see your team has draw Highland league opposition in the cup again, Formartine away. Fraserburgh drew Arbroath at home. 

Aye, watched the draw with interest yesterday. I see Formartine come from a place called Pitmedden. Looks just north of Aberdeen from what I could gather mileage wise. Will be a good day out for the fans that one, and a chance to progress if we play to the standard expecred.

Decent draw for Fraserburgh too - home game, you never know what can happen.

I liked having Gerrard as a manager but looking back I think his reputation carried him a long way and 1 trophy out of 9 isn't a great return.  He definitely improved us beyond recognition in Europe (I don't think we'd be sitting with a -15GD in the UCL if he was still here) but other than the league winning season he under achieved overall domestically.  Celtic were obviously still riding high when he first arrived and he had to build a squad so the first 2 leagues probably weren't realistic but I don't think it's stretching to say he could and should have added a couple of more domestic cups, and probably a treble in his last full season.

In terms of restoring a bit of the zip that the players seem to be missing I think he'd probably do a good job but there would always be the lingering doubt he'd be away the next time a mid table EPL team came sniffing around so I think it's best for all parties if a line is drawn under Gerrard and we move on to newer targets.  I see Pochettino and Tuchel are still out of work so I'd settle for one of those if we had to....

46 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I see Pochettino and Tuchel are still out of work so I'd settle for one of those if we had to....

Didn't the former knock back an EPL team recently?

Surely the latter would be an expensive risk given he's fallen out with just about everyone at each club he's been?

I think Sean Dyche gets a really rough deal. He speaks very well and its clear that his style of play is based on the players available to him. He did an unbelievable job at Burnley, not only keeping them in the league every year but actually getting them into Europe one year. 

Yes he played some direct football but it was clear for all to see that as soon as he left that the players werent capable of staying up by going toe to toe with better financed teams.

Surely thats a sign of a good manager. Ive no doubt that if he got the Rangers job or indeed a job like Everton for example that his style would adapt to suit the new tools.

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

I think Sean Dyche gets a really rough deal. He speaks very well and its clear that his style of play is based on the players available to him. He did an unbelievable job at Burnley, not only keeping them in the league every year but actually getting them into Europe one year. 

Yes he played some direct football but it was clear for all to see that as soon as he left that the players werent capable of staying up by going toe to toe with better financed teams.

Surely thats a sign of a good manager. Ive no doubt that if he got the Rangers job or indeed a job like Everton for example that his style would adapt to suit the new tools.

Off topic, however we had 2 or 3 decent chances to wrap things up in normal time at TM

Would (Aye, if yer auntie had balls and aw that) have been a well-deserved win too

Ran out of steam in ET

3 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Totally agree.

I think he's better (or as good as) than many of the managers who seem to get rotated around top jobs in England and Europe.