Season 22/23 - Page 112 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

6 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Just watched the highlights

Have no love for the Thistle luvvies however it's no wonder they are fucking raging

The penalty decision to let County back into the game was ridiculous made worse by the one that wasnt given to Thistle

I thought neither were penalties. 

County's one was a classic "consolation call", if the scores are tighter I don't think it would be given.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

County's one was a classic "consolation call", if the scores are tighter I don't think it would be given.

Hate shite like that, players not getting a second yellow with two minutes to go as their team is 3 down etc. 

On 6/4/2023 at 8:01 PM, CumbernauldJag said:

Not winning by more on Thursday has cost us.

Did think though their penalty was soft but losing the 2nd so soon after kick off has killed us.

Bannigan should have scored in extra time and Docherty should be embarrassed with his penalty. 

Absolutely.  I walked away from the game on Thursday almost feeling disappointed that we hadn't won by more, when I'd usually be delighted at beating higher league opposition.  Poor though County were on Thursday (and throughout the season) it was clear they had players who were a step up from those we normally face in the Championship and could hurt us if we weren't careful.

It's taken until this lunchtime to have the stomach to watch the highlights 😂 and they confirmed my gut reaction on Sunday that the penalty decision turned the tie. It wasn't clear cut - as in a 'clear and obvious error' - but neither was the one we were denied, IMO.  Either or neither could have been given so it sticks in the craw that one was while other was denied (rescinding the red card was the right decision though). 

However, the bottom line is we missed chance after chance after chance over the two legs (Mullen and Bannigan's misses on Sunday were shocking) and our defending for the second and third goals was awful. You can't do that and expect to be promoted.  It's also a bit of a mystery to me why Doolan only made one substitution in normal time, especially as Lawless and Tiffoney were running on fumes by then

It's still been a good season though and I hope the team takes heart from the way they played firstly to secure a playoff and then get to the final and come within a bawhair of winning promotion.  If they can focus on that and not allow Sunday's result to get to them (it can happen to teams) mibee next season can be even better.  

On 6/4/2023 at 7:59 PM, vanderark14 said:

Putting the top three and 2nd bottom into two semi finals and a final would be better IMO

It would, but the current arrangement is in place as a compromise.  Originally the powers that be didn't even want a playoff (in the latter days of the SPL it was the only top division in senior European football that didn't have some kind of playoff system). 

The way it is set up is designed to favour the team from the Premiership and it almost always does.  It's certainly a huge task for the team finishing third or fourth in the Championship to get through to the final and win.  The only time I think that has happened is when Livingston finished third in the Championship and in the playoff final beat...Partick Thistle.  🤦‍♂️

On 6/4/2023 at 8:26 PM, dandydunn said:

I assume Docherty is the guy that missed in sudden death? I’m that situation, every penalty should be laced, it’s far too important to try and be smart. 

Aye, that was him. 🙄

I thought he was waiting for the goalie to dive first, which he did - but then he puts it to the same side that the goalie dive to.

You won't be surprised to know he doesn't normally take the penalties.

Funnily enough I am looking forward to the new season.  No point in being negative.  Ok, it will be a two horse race again but hey ho.  Going to go to Tynecastle for their European night if I can get a ticket.  Only been to two.  One with my pals to see Celtic at Old Trafford against Rapid Vienna and one to see Rangers against Juventus.  Crackling atmospheres at these games as it takes the fans away from the mundane.  Haven't made my mind up about Scotland as get fed up being depressed as well as spending a fortune.  But maybe Cyprus.