Season 22/23 - Page 31 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

3 minutes ago, Jersey Jim said:

Just out of interest,  how would you know what the former Mods would have done if you’ve only been a member here for 10 months.

I always checked the board.+ as I am a Scotland Supporter.  And I know as well as you that the football thread has just become a name calling thread when two people disagree.  But that guy who called me a n****e last week took it to a new level.  You have asked me a question and I have answered it.  Do you think that this would have been acceptable before?

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VAR can get to fuck after that today. I’ve been against it for a while and today merely confirmed my suspicion that they’ll still make as many horrendous mistakes!

Great game, the jambos gave it a go and we struggled to get around their press at times but we kept trying and when we did we looked like scoring every time. The crushing disappointment on that tramp Neilsons face at full time has made my weekend!

It seemed to work well at Fir Park, but don’t expect that every week. 

Seemed a long delay in Aberdeen second goal when everyone could see there was no infringement at all amd the 5 minutes injury time seemed excessive for little stoppages in the game, I assume that was for var checks, which if it’s a fiesty game, we could be looking nearer 5 o’clock before we leave grounds 🤷🏼‍♂️

1 hour ago, slasher said:

VAR can get to fuck after that today. I’ve been against it for a while and today merely confirmed my suspicion that they’ll still make as many horrendous mistakes!

Great game, the jambos gave it a go and we struggled to get around their press at times but we kept trying and when we did we looked like scoring every time. The crushing disappointment on that tramp Neilsons face at full time has made my weekend!

Only 'mistake' was not awarding Celtic a pen for Smith's handball from 5mm away

I suppose it'll take time to get used to not getting every decision regardless of how conclusive it is

2 hours ago, slasher said:

Watched the game and I thought VAR did its job. Overturned a penalty not given which was correct decision.

On the radio they were going on about how the ref had a bad game but there was no bad decisions. People seem to get outraged when the ref makes a different decision to that they would have made but most of the decisions today were in the balance.

The Hearts handball is flicked up at very close range, Hearts players arms are down and although not right against his side but by no means outstretched. Have seen them given but equally more often than not they arent.

Totally not mentioned by the west coast radio was something like neither of the pens resulting in a yellow card. More often than not a player gets a yellow for a foul in the box, especially when its a challenge with the leg. The 2nd pen would have seen the Celtic centre back sent off as already booked. But again imo thats the judgement of the ref and he was consistent so thats fine with me.

I fear that VAR will cause more controversay in Scotland because everything is viewed through OF glasses.

30 minutes ago, Redz said:

Only 'mistake' was not awarding Celtic a pen for Smith's handball from 5mm away

I suppose it'll take time to get used to not getting every decision regardless of how conclusive it is

I could point out the irony of your post but I can’t be arsed, instead re-read some of the utter drivel you posted in the Premier Sports Cup thread. 😂

16 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Watched the game and I thought VAR did its job. Overturned a penalty not given which was correct decision.

On the radio they were going on about how the ref had a bad game but there was no bad decisions. People seem to get outraged when the ref makes a different decision to that they would have made but most of the decisions today were in the balance.

The Hearts handball is flicked up at very close range, Hearts players arms are down and although not right against his side but by no means outstretched. Have seen them given but equally more often than not they arent.

Totally not mentioned by the west coast radio was something like neither of the pens resulting in a yellow card. More often than not a player gets a yellow for a foul in the box, especially when its a challenge with the leg. The 2nd pen would have seen the Celtic centre back sent off as already booked. But again imo thats the judgement of the ref and he was consistent so thats fine with me.

I fear that VAR will cause more controversay in Scotland because everything is viewed through OF glasses.

Na, penalty every time that. They’re very rarely not given these days. VAR should also have overturned Ralstons disallowed goal after Walsh’s ridiculous award of a phantom ‘foul.’ As regards the Jenz challenge it doesn’t have to be a yellow if a genuine attempt to play the ball just as CCV’s was earlier. That can come down to interpretation but both these were fairly clear cut.

Regardless of your opinion on individual incidents, after 2 years of it in England they still get too much wrong and it totally kills spontaneity on and off the pitch. On balance I don’t want it, even if we benefit from it next week!

34 minutes ago, Redz said:

That's reasonable

Shines more of a light on the bias / agenda though

True but at a massive cost and especially if net-net the official decision making is not much better. And that massive cost was to footballs dynamism, its flow. VAR made football like American football with these long pauses every few minutes (very suitable for future advertising breaks BTW). 

Previously football was not like that it was far more dynamic and the ref did not substantially interfere with that. VAR gives teams breathers where before they would have been run ragged... It changed the whole dynamic of football. And that is what everyone said it would do.

However we were told it would be worth it.

It wasn't and isn't.

I would use 'VAR' to weed out bent refs but after the fact. They'd soon get the message it was not worth it anymore and clean up their act IMHO.

Edited by thplinth

2 hours ago, slasher said:

I could point out the irony of your post but I can’t be arsed, instead re-read some of the utter drivel you posted in the Premier Sports Cup thread. 😂

Na, penalty every time that. They’re very rarely not given these days. VAR should also have overturned Ralstons disallowed goal after Walsh’s ridiculous award of a phantom ‘foul.’ As regards the Jenz challenge it doesn’t have to be a yellow if a genuine attempt to play the ball just as CCV’s was earlier. That can come down to interpretation but both these were fairly clear cut.

Regardless of your opinion on individual incidents, after 2 years of it in England they still get too much wrong and it totally kills spontaneity on and off the pitch. On balance I don’t want it, even if we benefit from it next week!

I wouldnt have VAR either but you are kidding yourself if you think the Smith handball is a pen evetytime. Balls struck from about 2 yards away, arms are down, doesnt move his arm towards the ball (because he doesnt even have time). What part if the rules do you think supports the award of a penalty?

In England this year in particular they have been much better with the handball interpretation. In Europe its still alot more matter of fact, ie ball hits the arm so more often than not its a pen. If Scotland is adopting the English interpretation then I personally think its a good thing.

Put todays incident aside. Do you want pens given for incidents when there is clearly no intent and the arms arent in a wild position (ie if they were out like a snow angel or above his head).

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

I wouldnt have VAR either but you are kidding yourself if you think the Smith handball is a pen evetytime. Balls struck from about 2 yards away, arms are down, doesnt move his arm towards the ball (because he doesnt even have time). What part if the rules do you think supports the award of a penalty?

In England this year in particular they have been much better with the handball interpretation. In Europe its still alot more matter of fact, ie ball hits the arm so more often than not its a pen. If Scotland is adopting the English interpretation then I personally think its a good thing.

Put todays incident aside. Do you want pens given for incidents when there is clearly no intent and the arms arent in a wild position (ie if they were out like a snow angel or above his head).

I get what you are saying about hand ball pens in general but really? Of all the hills to die on this isn’t the one. He has enough time to turn his body and move his arm towards the ball to block a pass and what’s more when you look at his body language afterwards he knows what he’s just done!

Seriously man, it’s one thing trying to play devils advocate it’s another to defend nonsense like this. 

While we’re at it, what’s your opinion on the refs decision to review and upgrade the Livi players yellow to a red? Was that a clear and obvious error that required a VAR review?

10 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Brilliant post. Could not agree more with you