Steve Clarke Fuck Off - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steve Clarke Fuck Off

kumnio

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, sjd1972 said:

Had the SFA taken some the advice in this thread I have no doubt we’d have ended up with McInnes, Neilson or ,worst of all, Gemmell as the replacement.  Be careful what you wish for and all that.

SFA went all out to get Michael O'Neil.  Just really happy he never came 

Clarke has created a Scotland team we can trust. 

The Ukraine and Ireland games last year were sore ones. But there were plenty of mitigating factors around those results and the fact that we have bounced back since then won our Nations League group and started our Euro campaign so positively bodes well.

Yes, the wheels could come off the bogey again in the upcoming fixtures as nothing can be taken for granted, but if it does we need to learn from last year and be ready to go again in the Autumn.

Rome wasnt built in a day, bit this Scotland squad has made huge strides forward under Clarke.

Anyone who cant see that has a problem....

10 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Thank fuck we stuck with him eh lads. 

Openly admit I'm very happy and was wrong about him. That Dublin loss really annoyed me ; but the moment he won the Nations League he gained my backing 100%. 

He's done an excellent job, hoping for 4 ots in June. 

17 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

This thread is living proof that online message boards are a cesspit 

It is more that it is open to knee jeerk reactions. People (all of us have done it) post up opinions right after a poor performance or result and are angry posting what they feel at that moment in time. Often that is a bad recipe for posting as the mind is unbalanced and posts get overly emotional or expressive.

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It is more that it is open to knee jeerk reactions. People (all of us have done it) post up opinions right after a poor performance or result and are angry posting what they feel at that moment in time. Often that is a bad recipe for posting as the mind is unbalanced and posts get overly emotional or expressive.

I think it's a bit of both to be fair. The general public's  failure to look at things objectively and holistically contributes to the reactionary content and also the type of cyclical groundhog day type discussions. The FB group is also particularly bad for that.

Generally in this day and age, online message boards are a swamp of arguments of varying levels of coherence and accuracy, which most people have left back in the late 2000s before the uptake in social media.

I generally only come on here to try to get ahead of any venue or squad rumours, or to generally see what people are doing with tickets etc

21 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

This thread is living proof that online message boards are a cesspit 

People no allowed to have opinions now? you've been living in London too long fella. 

20 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Trust me I know 🙃 6 years and counting and laid up with a Mrs and everything now - for now 😉

😂 get her telt... up the road we go..

On 5/5/2023 at 9:39 AM, Caledonian Craig said:

As we do and I'd say we have more. And Haaland has also failed to score against weaker defences than ours. And for this game we go into it far better placed mentally and confidence-wise sitting top of the group having just beaten Spain whereas Norway ate under pressure having failed to win any of their two games so far.

Scotland and Norway both had 12 players from top leagues in their squads for their last round of games (I checked!).

Haaland hasn't often failed to score against weaker defences than ours much lately (the exceptions being Sheffield United in the FA Cup recently, and possibly Leeds United at the weekend).  He scored against Serbia and Sweden last year, who I don't think have weaker defences than we do. 

We have made an excellent start to the campaign, much better than I expected, and are on a high, but this is Norway's first home game of the campaign and they'll know they will have to win it if they want to get back into the qualification picture.  Sometimes that kind of pressure brings the best out of teams.

On 5/7/2023 at 7:10 AM, Caledonian Craig said:

Relegation threatened Leeds' injury hit defence shut Halaand out. Evidence that it is perfectly possible.

Of course it's possible - he's only human - but come on, the guy's scored 57 goals in 53 games so far this season, most of them coming in the EPL and Champions League.  He'll most probably be partnered by Alexander Sorloth, a 6ft 5in forward from Real Sociedad in La Liga.  They aren't guaranteed to score but it isn't defeatist to acknowledge the pair of them pose a significant threat.

On the plus side, the weakest part of Norway's team would appear to be their defence - they haven't kept a clean sheet in 7 games.  If we have a go at them I think we can come away something - hopefully 3 points - but all things considered I'd be happy with a draw.

5 hours ago, scotlad said:

Scotland and Norway both had 12 players from top leagues in their squads for their last round of games (I checked!).

Haaland hasn't often failed to score against weaker defences than ours much lately (the exceptions being Sheffield United in the FA Cup recently, and possibly Leeds United at the weekend).  He scored against Serbia and Sweden last year, who I don't think have weaker defences than we do. 

We have made an excellent start to the campaign, much better than I expected, and are on a high, but this is Norway's first home game of the campaign and they'll know they will have to win it if they want to get back into the qualification picture.  Sometimes that kind of pressure brings the best out of teams.

Of course it's possible - he's only human - but come on, the guy's scored 57 goals in 53 games so far this season, most of them coming in the EPL and Champions League.  He'll most probably be partnered by Alexander Sorloth, a 6ft 5in forward from Real Sociedad in La Liga.  They aren't guaranteed to score but it isn't defeatist to acknowledge the pair of them pose a significant threat.

On the plus side, the weakest part of Norway's team would appear to be their defence - they haven't kept a clean sheet in 7 games.  If we have a go at them I think we can come away something - hopefully 3 points - but all things considered I'd be happy with a draw.

My points stand. We have gotten results lately against better sides than Norway so lets not talk ourselves down and our opponents up. There is no denying their strike power just as there is no denying their weak defence. Yes a draw would suit me and I hope we get at least that or else the doomsayers will be back in force calling for Clarke's head and swearing that Norway will qualify above us on the evidence of one match.

No doubt that Norway will be really fired up for this their first home game. If they were to lose to us then they know they would be almost out of it with one point out of nine. Obviously could go either way regarding how they perform under that sort of pressure. Definately think we can get at their defence but also will have to be tight at the back ourselves. Put in the sort of performance that we are capable of and we can definately get something. Need to be a top notch performance from us though. Looking forward to it. 

4 hours ago, Shaundy said:

Reckon we’ll likely have to score 3 or 4 to win .
Expecting 4  points but hoping for 6 from the next two games. 

If you reckon we’ll need 3 or 4 to win then we’d need 2 or 3 to draw. I admire your optimism in expecting us to score at least 2 goals away from home. 

Personally I think we will need to limit them to 1 goal (or even better none) if we are going to get anything out of the game. Will be a hard shift I think. 

13 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

If you reckon we’ll need 3 or 4 to win then we’d need 2 or 3 to draw. I admire your optimism in expecting us to score at least 2 goals away from home. 

Personally I think we will need to limit them to 1 goal (or even better none) if we are going to get anything out of the game. Will be a hard shift I think. 

Definately see it being a hard shift. Will have to battle from start to finish to get something. Can see them coming flying out the traps desperate for an early goal. 

18 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

In their last 5 games Norway have scored a total of 4 goals - and 2 of them were away to the ROI

It only takes 1 to beat you. However if we can reach the standard that we are capable of i think we will get at least a draw. Just be positive and not overconfident... that's all i suggest.