Steve Clarke Fuck Off - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steve Clarke Fuck Off

kumnio

53 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Hope the team aren't as defeatist as some of the shite i've read on here. 

We've beaten teams with better players than Haaland in them. He's also failed to score against worse teams than us. 

We certainly have and if we put in a good shift then we have a good chance of winning. A good performance will be required though. 

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Hope the team aren't as defeatist as some of the shite i've read on here. 

We've beaten teams with better players than Haaland in them. He's also failed to score against worse teams than us. 

There’s a big difference between thinking we’re probably not going to score 3 or 4 goals and being defeatist. I think we’ve a great chance of getting at least a draw and a fairly decent chance of winning the game. I doubt it will be 3-4 though. Can see us getting a 1-1 draw or 1-2 win. 

I’ve got some bad memories of going to Norway thinking we’ve got a chance and getting pumped though. 

17 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

There’s a big difference between thinking we’re probably not going to score 3 or 4 goals and being defeatist. I think we’ve a great chance of getting at least a draw and a fairly decent chance of winning the game. I doubt it will be 3-4 though. Can see us getting a 1-1 draw or 1-2 win. 

I’ve got some bad memories of going to Norway thinking we’ve got a chance and getting pumped though. 

Yes but we took 2 Caldwells, any team with 2 Caldwells is destined to get pumped.  Can't see that happening this time, stick Porteous on Haaland and he'll be invisible. 

23 hours ago, thesaint said:

3 or 4 to win.Big ask that. 

It is, especially since we've scored only 7 in our last 5 away games, and 4 of them came against Armenia who played most of the tie a man down.

22 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

In their last 5 games Norway have scored a total of 4 goals - and 2 of them were away to the ROI

True, although Haaland only played in one of them and in 3 of the 5 games Norway were away from home.

On 5/12/2023 at 8:29 PM, Texas Pete said:

I’ve got that memory too, but I’ve also got one of going there thinking we’d get pumped and coming away with a 1-2 victory thanks to 2 Kenny Miller goals. 

6 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

So that was two Norway games Haaland played in and was shut out?

Sorry, I'm not with you. Haaland has only played once out of Norway's last five games (and no, he didn't score but no one's said he scores in every single game he plays).

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

Sorry, I'm not with you. Haaland has only played once out of Norway's last five games (and no, he didn't score but no one's said he scores in every single game he plays).

That is basically the point here. He does not score in every game he plays and Norway are not a world force in football. Of late we have the more impressive set of results than Norway so should be confident not shy timmering beasties.

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

That is basically the point here. He does not score in every game he plays and Norway are not a world force in football. Of late we have the more impressive set of results than Norway so should be confident not shy timmering beasties.

Of course we should confident, we've earned the right to be, but at the same time we should respect Norway and acknowledge they're a good team who also happen to possess arguably one of the best players in the world at the moment.

I agree that being timerous won't get us anywhere but the other side of that coin is arrogance - and that won't do us any good either. 

57 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Of course we should confident, we've earned the right to be, but at the same time we should respect Norway and acknowledge they're a good team who also happen to possess arguably one of the best players in the world at the moment.

I agree that being timerous won't get us anywhere but the other side of that coin is arrogance - and that won't do us any good either. 

It is not arrogance to go into a game confident in your team's ability and mindset. Confidence is the building blocks in every successful team. Norway have their threats as do we and we go into the match top of the group and building an unbeaten run. Lets be positive thinking - that is my mindset. Not saying it won't be a real test as it will but faint hearts won't do anything for us rather than hold us back.

42 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It is not arrogance to go into a game confident in your team's ability and mindset. Confidence is the building blocks in every successful team. Norway have their threats as do we and we go into the match top of the group and building an unbeaten run. Lets be positive thinking - that is my mindset. Not saying it won't be a real test as it will but faint hearts won't do anything for us rather than hold us back.

I didn't say it was - arrogance and confidence are quite different things. The point I was trying to make there is arrogance is as unhelpful as timidity if you're trying to win a game.

I can't disagree with anything else you've said there. In fact, I've said much the same myself. 

I think Odegaard needs as much respect going into this game as Haaland. 

Norway might not be world class all over the pitch. But they are more than a one man team........

30 minutes ago, Judith said:

Norway might not be world class all over the pitch. But they are more than a one man team........

The same can be said of us. We have players that command respect too but we go into this match in better form than them.

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The same can be said of us. We have players that command respect too but we go into this match in better form than them.

Absolutely.

Im certainly not travelling over there expecting to get turned over.

It will be a tough match. But one we can get a positve result from.

A draw suits us more than it suits them. So hopefully that will add a bit of pressure.

53 minutes ago, Judith said:

Absolutely.

Im certainly not travelling over there expecting to get turned over.

It will be a tough match. But one we can get a positve result from.

A draw suits us more than it suits them. So hopefully that will add a bit of pressure.

Indeed Judith.

We have shown improvements in various ways recently. Good at avoiding slip ups in games that used to terrify us such as games in Moldova, Armenia, Faroe Islands and getting results in crunch games against quality sides such as Austria, Denmark, Serbia and Spain.

Yes it will be tough but we have shown we can get results against quality sides of late. If we can perform to our recent standards we are certainly capable of a result but it will be key to neutralize the threat of Haaland and Odegaard whilst still looking to be creative ourselves as their defence is not their strength.

We are now performing at the level where games against fellow 2nd tier teams will be decided just on who plays best / gets abit of luck on the day. We no longer need to hope for an out of the blue performance etc. This is now our level and as we have shown we can also now get the odd result against tier 1 teams like England and Spain without it being a backs to the wall smash and grab like in the last 20 years.

Im very relaxed about the next set of games. I believe we will beat Georgia and then the Norway result could go either way but even with a loss we are still in pole position to qualify.

17 hours ago, Judith said:

Odegaard is a class act too.

20 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

We are now performing at the level where games against fellow 2nd tier teams will be decided just on who plays best / gets abit of luck on the day. We no longer need to hope for an out of the blue performance etc. This is now our level and as we have shown we can also now get the odd result against tier 1 teams like England and Spain without it being a backs to the wall smash and grab like in the last 20 years.

Im very relaxed about the next set of games. I believe we will beat Georgia and then the Norway result could go either way but even with a loss we are still in pole position to qualify.

The fact that Norway are desperate for points will play right into our hands. We have some very good counter attacking players that could exploit Norway, especially later in the game. Robertson, Tierney, Patterson, McGregor, Armstrong, Adams, McTominay, Hendry, Christie have all demonstrated an aptitude for it. 

I think if we beat Georgia and draw with Norway, then the Norwegians will all but throw in the towel. 5 points will be extremely hard to claw back with 4 games to go.

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

The fact that Norway are desperate for points will play right into our hands. We have some very good counter attacking players that could exploit Norway, especially later in the game. Robertson, Tierney, Patterson, McGregor, Armstrong, Adams, McTominay, Hendry, Christie have all demonstrated an aptitude for it. 

I think if we beat Georgia and draw with Norway, then the Norwegians will all but throw in the towel. 5 points will be extremely hard to claw back with 4 games to go.

Agreed on both counts. As you say if those results come about then Norway (to re-ignite their chances) would have to beat us at Hampden and Win at home to Spain. If the latter happens then it dents Spain's efforts greatly to win the group.

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Agreed on both counts. As you say if those results come about then Norway (to re-ignite their chances) would have to beat us at Hampden and Win at home to Spain. If the latter happens then it dents Spain's efforts greatly to win the group.

Georgia are our banana skin team though. I think we'll go into both games with them particularly nervy. However, a win against them compounds the pressure on Norway.

It feels really odd to be in this position. Has it ever happened before? 

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Georgia are our banana skin team though. I think we'll go into both games with them particularly nervy. However, a win against them compounds the pressure on Norway.

It feels really odd to be in this position. Has it ever happened before? 

We have but a long, long time ago. Probably over two decades ago.

Heaven forbid someone had an opinion on here a year ago.

We must all follow the positive mindset, especially after getting humiliated 3-0 in Dublin, oh to be so confident as the super fans. All hail Steve Clarke, the greatest manager the world has ever seen.

Really interesting to see where Scotland are after 4 games. 
I’m still expecting 10 points and hoping for 12. Knowing full well this is not what we have done . 
74 in Germany was the first tournament I remember. Fifty years on next summer would be cracking. 

will catch up at the Georgia game ! 

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

Heaven forbid someone had an opinion on here a year ago.

We must all follow the positive mindset, especially after getting humiliated 3-0 in Dublin, oh to be so confident as the super fans. All hail Steve Clarke, the greatest manager the world has ever seen.

🤡