U21s - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

U21s

Hertsscot

I think the surprise Anderson call up, and further rumours about Harvey Barnes have distracted us all from talking about Doak the last week.

This kid is lightning. I know it is u21 level, but Spain's team will be full of high calibre future internationalists. He seems to be incapable of having a bad game.

I really hope all this noise surrounding Barnes and Anderson is dampened by a Doak call up to the semiors next month.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I think the surprise Anderson call up, and further rumours about Harvey Barnes have distracted us all from talking about Doak the last week.

This kid is lightning. I know it is u21 level, but Spain's team will be full of high calibre future internationalists. He seems to be incapable of having a bad game.

I really hope all this noise surrounding Barnes and Anderson is dampened by a Doak call up to the semiors next month.

He looks like he has the potential to be very special. Obviously has the attention of Klopp so is in a good place to develop. Has lots of skill, pace and looks very driven. Basically all the raw attributes. If they can hone his game intelligence, decision making, final ball and finishing - he could be the level of player that we’ve been waiting for over decades.

He’s already bouncing bigger players off the ball but would be great to see him take a stretch and fill out more over the next few years. Not 18 until November. 

Was a hard shift for him, too, because for much of the game (especially second half) he was left on his own up there with a huge gap between him and the midfield. Credit to him, though that he came back and put in some defensive work, too. 

When he’s not just running at players, he also seems to have this knack of never losing the ball, or if he does, somehow regaining it immediately. He’ll get his fair share of cards, I’d imagine…

I’ve got every faith that Klopp will improve him even further over the course of the season - hopefully in europa, the cups and some league appearances. And if he gets a few games this coming month, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in the October squad.

Watched the match mainly to get a better look at Doak and to a lesser extent the full backs.

Cant for the life of me see how Gemmil is still in a job. Youth levels should never be based purely on results but Gemmils record is horrible. That combined with how he sets his teams up like the result is the sole thing. 

No style, nothing like how the A side play. Constantly playing players out of positions.

That aside ive never not been impressed with Doak. Looks strong, obviously fast and can dribble. 

Amazing that Doak could still play for the u21s in four years time. He won’t though. He wasn’t even fully match fit last night. If he can avoid serious injury he will be an incredible player. 
If it’s between him, Anderson and Barnes for one spot, it’s no contest. I’d be happy to have the other two in the squad if they actively want to be in it, but Doak is the man.

Edited by er yir macaroon

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Doak highlights

Incredible that in these segments Doak is about 40 yards ahead of "supporting" midfield players so had to go it alone. Maybe Gemmill told the attacking midfielders to keep their places on the posts until the danger was over. 

Playing for the first team he would have Mcginn and either Tierney or Robertson for an outlet. 

1 minute ago, Hertsscot said:

I think he plays a similar role to Salah as a an attacking wide player, not a winger or a central forward.

I think it's time to call him upto see what he's got. Calling him could freshen things up, excite the support and add competition to the regulars who need to be kept on their toes.

15 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I think it's time to call him upto see what he's got. Calling him could freshen things up, excite the support and add competition to the regulars who need to be kept on their toes.

Wales do it too and it gives game time to a young player trying break into a top side.  He looks ridiculous in that YouTube video - like best kid in the play ground.

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I have been saying it for two or three months. Also note Spain played a 16-year-old the other day who scored on his debut. If you ate good enough you are old enough.

6 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I think him playing off Dykes for 20 minutes would be good to see. Even having the option to bring him on last night v England would have been very tempting. 

Just now, ProudScot said:

To be very honest when Armstrong comes on now in a wide position, that could very easily be Doak instead couldn’t it?

Would like to see Doak in the next squad. 

So would I but I reckon there is next to zero chance of that happening. 

That video was pretty similar to the last one somebody posted. Fast as fuk, but very little end product. He is still young so hopefully he can learn how to have some composure and learn to think about what he is going to do with the ball when gets to the end of these runs. Based on that video it seems to be a case of "heid doon, run like fuk". I'm sure he will come good but he needs good coaching.

49 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

That video was pretty similar to the last one somebody posted. Fast as fuk, but very little end product. He is still young so hopefully he can learn how to have some composure and learn to think about what he is going to do with the ball when gets to the end of these runs. Based on that video it seems to be a case of "heid doon, run like fuk". I'm sure he will come good but he needs good coaching.

The video is slightly misleading. In the game he basically had nobody to pass to. When he had the chance to pick somebody out he normally did.

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

The video is slightly misleading. In the game he basically had nobody to pass to. When he had the chance to pick somebody out he normally did.

Agreed. He was breaking forward with about 4 players ahead of him. He still retained possession. The lad had great skill as well as pace. In most games he’ll only need to beat one or two players. 

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Screenshot_20231002_123303_Chrome.jpg

The new names in there Emilio Lawrence is meant to be very good, highly rated, not heard of O'Riordan but has been playing for Ireland under age groups, plenty of appearances in league 2 for his age and spent time on loan at Raith.

Mellon 5 goals 1 assist in 8 games for Morecombe on loan from Burnley.

Edited by syecosse