U21s - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

U21s

Hertsscot

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Newcastle tweeted about Anderson making his first Scotland start for u21s, below all the reply are about what is he doing playing for them or its OK just see Declan Rice. 

Clarke should put him on against Armenia. All the risk is on not doing it. I’m amazed England haven’t capped him because they don’t piss about like we do. 

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

Clarke should put him on against Armenia. All the risk is on not doing it. I’m amazed England haven’t capped him because they don’t piss about like we do. 

We'll hedge our bets until he's 24-26 and fill the squad positions with seasoned journeymen doing orate in the interim.

In fairness we seem a bit better at blooding youth but another Harry Souttar situation should be a massive red light here.

4 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

We'll hedge our bets until he's 24-26 and fill the squad positions with seasoned journeymen doing orate in the interim.

In fairness we seem a bit better at blooding youth but another Harry Souttar situation should be a massive red light here.

You suggesting we cap anderson in a competitive game. Hes only really played league 2 football. Maybe if he gets some newcastle appearances this season then cap him.

3 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

You suggesting we cap anderson in a competitive game. Hes only really played league 2 football. Maybe if he gets some newcastle appearances this season then cap him.

Not just cap him once, we'd have to cap him FOUR times in competitive games over the next couple of years to lock him in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_eligibility_rules

"In September 2020, the 70th edition of the FIFA Congress approved a rule change that now allows players to switch if they have played no more than three competitive matches at senior level prior to them turning 21 including no appearances in FIFA World Cup finals matches or continental finals (e.g. the UEFA European Championship)."

7 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Harry Wilson was capped at 16 to avoid England getting him.

Why not stick him on the bench and take him on with 2 minutes to go?

2 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Not just cap him once, we'd have to cap him FOUR times in competitive games over the next couple of years to lock him in.

"In September 2020, the 70th edition of the FIFA Congress approved a rule change that now allows players to switch if they have played no more than three competitive matches at senior level prior to them turning 21 including no appearances in FIFA World Cup finals matches or continental finals (e.g. the UEFA European Championship)."

Makes it harder in fairness but I'm pretty sure Wales and Ireland would do it in a similar situation especially after Rice.

Loads of Nations League games and qualifiers against pot5 and 6 sides.

3 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Thats not worth our bother imo. Better just wait and see how he gets on this season then look to bring him into our squads at the start of next year provided hes playing well at a decent level of football.

9 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Having seen Anderson regularly this season i wouldn’t hang around too long. He has masses of potential and was a stand out player in league two.

2 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Makes it harder in fairness but I'm pretty sure Wales and Ireland would do it in a similar situation especially after Rice.

Loads of Nations League games and qualifiers against pot5 and 6 sides.

Its certainly an option but personally i would wait until he starts playing at a decent level. Guy looked class in league 2 but thats a really poor level of football.

1 minute ago, darkbluegas said:

Having seen Anderson regularly this season i wouldn’t hang around too long. He has masses of potential and was a stand out player in league two.

Thats league 2 though. If hes any hope of making it at a decent level then he should be a stand out in that league.

30 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

What a farcical rule that is.

20 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Its certainly an option but personally i would wait until he starts playing at a decent level. Guy looked class in league 2 but thats a really poor level of football.

There's defo an element of damned if you do dambed if you don't.

I didn't think Harry Souttar was worth the bother when he took the hump his performances at Fleetwood weren't recognised L2 and L1.

Beginning of this season it looks a poor decision as the lad was immense in the middle of a three for Stoke and would have got caps easy. His injury was the difference between us challenging for automatic promotion to mid-table fodder

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Neither do Wales, and that approach appears to be paying dividends for them.

Ideally we should try and cap him if not during this run of matches then at some point in the next six months.  If he turns out not fulfil his potential then we won't have lost anything, as he would hardly have won an England cap anyway, but if he does and goes onto play for someone else, we'll kick ourselves.

18 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Neither do Wales, and that approach appears to be paying dividends for them.

Ideally we should try and cap him if not during this run of matches then at some point in the next six months.  If he turns out not fulfil his potential then we won't have lost anything, as he would hardly have won an England cap anyway, but if he does and goes onto play for someone else, we'll kick ourselves.

We would have to cap him 4 times to lock him in. Surely we cant justify capping a guy whos only played league 2 football. I know hes a talented player but hes only made a couple of sub appearances for Newcastle.

3 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Just there to make sure the big countries don’t miss out on any players. 

Could be argued its to help the smaller countries. Player plays a couple of times for a top nation but can still change to a weaker country if he doesnt make it permanently with the first country.

Clarke has been very good at bringing young guys in or indeed uncapped players even when they are abit older.

Im all for blooding youth, especially when its mega obvious that they will become a star like Gilmour. Ive not seen enough of Anderson to know if he falls into that bracket however people need to remember that its also good to make a call up mean something.

It wasnt that long ago we were handing out caps too easily. Players were calling off squads all the time knowing they would get straight back in.

Now we have a situation where players are delaying their own holidays to attend 3 and 4 player training camps. Situations like Fraser where players have been left in no doubt whats acceptable and what feels like a real solid club type feel squad.

Theres always a balance and id have no issues with phasing somebody like McLean out the squad to have a top prospect around however again Clarkes been very good at moving people on. However in the current squad what midfield player would you move out? Ferguson who is doing well at Aberdeen? Turnbull who many believe will be a good player?

13 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Clarke has been very good at bringing young guys in or indeed uncapped players even when they are abit older.

Im all for blooding youth, especially when its mega obvious that they will become a star like Gilmour. Ive not seen enough of Anderson to know if he falls into that bracket however people need to remember that its also good to make a call up mean something.

It wasnt that long ago we were handing out caps too easily. Players were calling off squads all the time knowing they would get straight back in.

Now we have a situation where players are delaying their own holidays to attend 3 and 4 player training camps. Situations like Fraser where players have been left in no doubt whats acceptable and what feels like a real solid club type feel squad.

Theres always a balance and id have no issues with phasing somebody like McLean out the squad to have a top prospect around however again Clarkes been very good at moving people on. However in the current squad what midfield player would you move out? Ferguson who is doing well at Aberdeen? Turnbull who many believe will be a good player?

Good post.

I'd say the vulnerable midfielders in our squad now are Kenny McLean, maybe even Lewis Ferguson if he moves abroad and sinks without trace and David Turnbull needs a long run in the Celtic side in good form and fit to convince me he will make it for Scotland. If you dig around on the internet there are lots of positive views on Anderson. Scouts and youth coaches who have been in and around Newcastle for many years liken him potentially to Peter Beardsley and some even to Paul Gascoigne. That is high praise. It is too soon to be throwing him in just yet but if he impresses in the Championship (the same level McLean will then be playing at) then is there a reason why McLean should keep him out of the squad?

I’ve now watched the first half. Forget all this “only league 2” patter. It’s obvious Anderson is a player. We’ll moan and criticise the SFA if we miss out on him. Get him in the full squad and on the pitch. Watch the game before commenting. You’ll see he is every bit the EPL player. Strong and determined and exceptional with the ball at his feet. He is uncannily like Ross Barkley. It would be good to see him and Lowry together against Denmark but I’d rather he played against Armenia.

Very impressed with Connor Barron. He’s very reminiscent of Allan Campbell in the way he harries and intercepts opponents, but with all due respect, has much more ability on the ball. 

2 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I’ve now watched the first half. Forget all this “only league 2” patter. It’s obvious Anderson is a player. We’ll moan and criticise the SFA if we miss out on him. Get him in the full squad and on the pitch. Watch the game before commenting. You’ll see he is every bit the EPL player. Strong and determined and exceptional with the ball at his feet. He is uncannily like Ross Barkley. It would be good to see him and Lowry together against Denmark but I’d rather he played against Armenia.

Very impressed with Connor Barron. He’s very reminiscent of Allan Campbell in the way he harries and intercepts opponents, but with all due respect, has much more ability on the ball. 

And if you were manager how would you square that up with the likes of Ferguson, Armstrong and Turnbull?

Thanks for continuing to show up for international duty, I know you dont get some game time because top players are keeping you out the team but see on Wednesday when you thought you would get your opportunity to stake your claim, im going to play a kid from Newcastle who has never played at any level. And btw im going to have to do this another 3 times just incase he one day decides to play for England?

23 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

And if you were manager how would you square that up with the likes of Ferguson, Armstrong and Turnbull?

Thanks for continuing to show up for international duty, I know you dont get some game time because top players are keeping you out the team but see on Wednesday when you thought you would get your opportunity to stake your claim, im going to play a kid from Newcastle who has never played at any level. And btw im going to have to do this another 3 times just incase he one day decides to play for England?

If I judged him to be better than those players, then absolutely, albeit those players are nothing like him. I’m sure the Wales players don’t run crying to their mummy when it happens to them. 

Watched the game and was pretty impressed.

Dapo Mebude has potential. So much pace, would love him to get some game time in the championship this season.

Defensively Welsh, Mayo & Graham all looked decent on the ball and good size. 

Anderson could be a class act & Lowry didn’t even start but could end up the best out of the lot of them & that’s without even mentioning King who is very exciting too.

Connor Barron looks a player & I see he’s now linked with Celtic this morning too. 

37 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

If I judged him to be better than those players, then absolutely, albeit those players are nothing like him. I’m sure the Wales players don’t run crying to their mummy when it happens to them. 

Do you judge him to be better than them? Ive only ive seen him play a couple of times. He has potential but would you say he is currently better than Armstrong and Turnbull? (Btw im not a huge fan of Turnbull but I think he has done enough to be in the squad)

Im all for blooding good youth asap but theres a balance. Senior caps should still be earned. 

14 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Jesus Christ that rule is mental.

Basically there to ensure big countries can persuade players to change allegiance if they become very good.

It’s no wonder Wales and the Irelands cap players like they do. Even then they miss out on some too.