Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?…. - Page 23 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?….

Malcolm

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Didn't we play Poland in a friendly in Poland a few years ago, when Strachan was in charge?  If so, it's our turn to play hosts, if you look at it like that.

And Poland were due to be playing an away fixture on the 24th too whilst we were due to be at home. Poland may point to the fact that they have arranged to meet up for a sort of training camp in Poland now so arranging hotels, training facilities and such-like difficult at such short notice.

3 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

The longer this goes on, I feel like it’s more likely that the SFA buckle and play the game in Poland. 

Wouldn't put it past them. What a great idea? Lets fly our best set of footballers in a generation to within a couple of hundred miles of a war zone. Hope they don't fly with Ryanair. They probably land in Belarus for a flight to Warsaw.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The stumbling block on an announcement for a friendly V Poland on the 24th of March is seemingly the venue. Poland want to host the game whilst the SFA want to fill the date with a home fixture however all other European sides are in action at that time.

An African team? England are playing Ivory Coast are they not?

J

11 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

It would be ridiculous given the situation in Eastern Europe if this match went ahead in Poland, surely the SFA can dig their heels in on this one and get the game at home.

Is the match vs the loser of Wales & Austria also confirmed? 

The second match has been confirmed. 

Or it might be the first match if an agreement can't be found.to hold the first one.

Edited by stocky

34 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Would Welsh police even allow a wales v Scotland friendly at a weeks notice 

It's not a weeks notice though.

This game has been on calendar since the draw.

It's only opposition that is/was unknown 

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I'd say more importantly has Austrian police? Cannot see Austria beating Wales in Cardiff.

Austria have some good players, used to a big atmosphere (David Alaba, Marko Arnautovic and others). I think it'll be a close one. (Might even depend on the quality and experience of the referees?)

Any inside knowledge on the proposed dates in June for the Ukraine play off game (and the play off final) ?  Think Clarke mentioned we might play 6 games in June so wonder if after the nations league ones.

All the official info is just  vaguely in “June”.

11 hours ago, finnie said:

Any inside knowledge on the proposed dates in June for the Ukraine play off game (and the play off final) ?  Think Clarke mentioned we might play 6 games in June so wonder if after the nations league ones.

All the official info is just  vaguely in “June”.

It may just press talk but apparently talks with fifa include giving Ukraine a bye to the world cup. I don't agree with this at all. 

Are they going to start handing out a bye to any country at war? 

It's might seem harsh but if Ukraine can't field a team they have ro forfeit the match. 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

It may just press talk but apparently talks with fifa include giving Ukraine a bye to the world cup. 

Seems fair. Give Ukraine and their playoff opponent (whoever that is) a bye. Couple of groups of 5 at the World Cup, no probs 😗🎶

27 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Seems fair. Give Ukraine and their playoff opponent (whoever that is) a bye. Couple of groups of 5 at the World Cup, no probs 😗🎶

Probably the only way we will ever get more than 3 games at a major finals. 😂

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60858821

I see in the BBC gossip column Clarke is quoted as saying he thinks it's not looking great for the game going ahead in June and will be more likely autumn.  Not to sound heartless or anything but surely if it can't go ahead in June they need to give Scotland a by?  They can't expect 3 teams to twiddle their thumbs until August/September then try to prepare for a World Cup in just a couple of months.

I can honestly see the situation where the game goes ahead and Ukraine beat us and beat Wales/Austria, but the situation over there doesn't improve or resolve so they have to pull out like Yugoslavia for Euro 92 and Wales/Austria take their place.  I'd be raging if that happens tbh (again a bit heartless and selfish but I don't care, I want to see us at a WC again asap 😬)

1 hour ago, kwhitelaw said:

I see in the BBC gossip column Clarke is quoted as saying he thinks it's not looking great for the game going ahead in June and will be more likely autumn.  Not to sound heartless or anything but surely if it can't go ahead in June they need to give Scotland a by?  They can't expect 3 teams to twiddle their thumbs until August/September then try to prepare for a World Cup in just a couple of months.

I can honestly see the situation where the game goes ahead and Ukraine beat us and beat Wales/Austria, but the situation over there doesn't improve or resolve so they have to pull out like Yugoslavia for Euro 92 and Wales/Austria take their place.  I'd be raging if that happens tbh (again a bit heartless and selfish but I don't care, I want to see us at a WC again asap 😬)

If the war goes on Ukraine will not be playing any matches anywhere. I would sooner welcome a decision like giving a Ukraine a bye to the finals and Scotland a bye to the play-off final if the semi cannot take place in June. Things are moving very slowly in Ukraine and does not look like the war will be over by June and so what guarantee is there it will be over by September? At least if they get a bye to the finals it rules out all other teams being impacted by their situation.

Only qualm I have with them getting a bye is that it is unfair to other countries who underwent similar invasions in the past. I saw no bye for Syria for example.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

If the war goes on Ukraine will not be playing any matches anywhere. I would sooner welcome a decision like giving a Ukraine a bye to the finals and Scotland a bye to the play-off final if the semi cannot take place in June. Things are moving very slowly in Ukraine and does not look like the war will be over by June and so what guarantee is there it will be over by September? At least if they get a bye to the finals it rules out all other teams being impacted by their situation.

Only qualm I have with them getting a bye is that it is unfair to other countries who underwent similar invasions in the past. I saw no bye for Syria for example.

Really. A bye to the finals. Utter virtue signaling nonsense. So they get to the finals in November, but still can't compete. The hole that is being dug is getting bigger and bigger.The truth is Ukraine should have withdrawn.Very unfortunate, but true. It is after all only a football tournament, and it's getting more and more obvious that Ukraine won't be able to compete in it. 

2 hours ago, kwhitelaw said:

If we lose to Ukraine then we don't deserve to be at a WC.