Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?…. - Page 28 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Ukraine. Will it go head?….

Malcolm

1 hour ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Shakhtar played a friendly against Olympiakos today and Dynamo Kyiv have organised friendlies from April-June.

They also have players playing in European leagues. 

Can't see the game not going ahead in June. 

Funny that. Thought all men aged 18-60 had to stay in Ukraine and fight. Now suddenly football does matter and their players will be playing together for 2 months. Seems to me that is a really long time to be together as a team planning formations etc. Lot longer than we will be together. Always knew that we would end up getting shafted in all this. 

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

FIFA are going to be desperate to get Ukraine to the finals now, aren't they.

It's going to be 11 v 14 (Ukraine + the officials).

Nah.

They had the perfect opportunity to do that by giving them a bye to the finals which Scotland, Austria and Wales offered no objection to but FIFA declined.

So we will be playing up to five matches may into June.

That’s an awful lot so Ukraine doubling as a nations league game , possibly a final against wales and three other nations league games .

i fear we will play wales after the nations league games which would probably mean 5 games in about 3 weeks.

we are not the fittest of sides so that schedule would cause concern 

1 hour ago, Rich NATA said:

Plus just about every nation in the world wanting them to win, we're gonna feel an awful lot like England that day 😏

2 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

I don't think they will care about who gets to the finals but they will want to avoid kicking Ukraine out if they can.

If this match doesn't take place, I can see fifa giving them a spot at the finals

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

I don't think they will care about who gets to the finals but they will want to avoid kicking Ukraine out if they can.

If this match doesn't take place, I can see fifa giving them a spot at the finals

how are they going to do that, have a group of 5 in the finals?  Scotland and wales can’t be penalised.

Scotland, no WC appearances for 24 years. 
Wales, no WC appearances for 64 years. 
But aye, those nations will just step aside to let Ukraine get a bye to Qatar. 
What a load of slavering pish. Anyone who thinks either FA would stand aside to let that happen, or have FIFA push it though, is a mentalist.
No as big a mentalist as those arseholes who think they’ll just throw Ukraine into the WC as a 33rd team mind you, completely fucking up the whole schedule and having an unworkable group of 5, but no far off it. 

If Ukraine can’t field a team, we’ll get a bye to the final. 

1 hour ago, McTeeko said:

What a load of slavering pish. Anyone who thinks either FA would stand aside to let that happen, or have FIFA push it though, is a mentalist.
No as big a mentalist as those arseholes who think they’ll just throw Ukraine into the WC as a 33rd team mind you, completely fucking up the whole schedule and having an unworkable group of 5, but no far off it. 

Arseholes, mentalists and slavering pish. Very nice mcteeko, fuck off

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

how are they going to do that, have a group of 5 in the finals?  Scotland and wales can’t be penalised.

Can you 100% say FIfa will let Scotland go to the final and let Ukraine go out? I don't think they have the balls. 

1 hour ago, McTeeko said:

Some of the shyte I've heard over this Ukraine match is pure daft; the sort of things you hear from people who aren't really football fans... But in this case, they are football fans.

I hope Russian forces are driven out of Ukraine ASAP, but this subject is not about the war; this is about football.

The suggestion (and some have made it) that Ukraine should be fast-tracked to Qatar or that Scotland/Austria/Wales should have stepped aside or that the Nations League match should be played as a joint Play-Off/Nations-League match is just nonsense.

Someone I work with said, "Rich, they've got more important things to worry about at the moment; more important than football".

YES, EXACTLY !!!

They should have played with foreign based players or forfeited the original fixture.

16 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Arseholes, mentalists and slavering pish. Very nice mcteeko, fuck off

Can you 100% say FIfa will let Scotland go to the final and let Ukraine go out? I don't think they have the balls. 

There's only one country getting screwed over in all this and I think we all know who that's going to be 🙄

2 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

Some of the shyte I've heard over this Ukraine match is pure daft; the sort of things you hear from people who aren't really football fans... But in this case, they are football fans.

I hope Russian forces are driven out of Ukraine ASAP, but this subject is not about the war; this is about football.

The suggestion (and some have made it) that Ukraine should be fast-tracked to Qatar or that Scotland/Austria/Wales should have stepped aside or that the Nations League match should be played as a joint Play-Off/Nations-League match is just nonsense.

Someone I work with said, "Rich, they've got more important things to worry about at the moment; more important than football".

YES, EXACTLY !!!

They should have played with foreign based players or forfeited the original fixture.

I know, for a nation that 'Has more important things to worry about' they're awful worried about it!

2 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Yeah I agree with this.

It is a football tournament, just leave it alone and stop trying crowbar politics into it, it will never end once you go down that road.

edit: it is a classic example of 'the road to hell being paved with good intentions'.

Edited by thplinth

I find the whole war reaction a bit unprecedented now. Those calling for Ukraine to get a bye to the finals need to take a good look at themselves. Afghanistan and Syria  have been invaded and been at war in recent times but we never heard a whisper about them getting a bye. Ukraine should be treated no differently.

All the teams in Path A have been mighty patient and accommodating of Ukraine's predicament. A postponement of games for over two months are unprecedented. A line has to be drawn now as those awaiting news of new dates are being unfairly impacted now. FIFA has to set a date and tell Ukraine it is set in stone - play or forfeit.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

With Ukraine based players on a peace tour abroad which has already started, signs point to our match going ahead. Glad to hear that the SFA are flying out to discuss the solution in person and not taking a passive role. Champions league final and championship play offs are very real and present concerns. What is the rush for Nations League to happen this summer - relegation finals are not until March 2024 surely there can be a few dates found for matches by then. 

4 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

With Ukraine based players on a peace tour abroad which has already started, signs point to our match going ahead. Glad to hear that the SFA are flying out to discuss the solution in person and not taking a passive role. Champions league final and championship play offs are very real and present concerns. What is the rush for Nations League to happen this summer - relegation finals are not until March 2024 surely there can be a few dates found for matches by then. 

Would it be feasible to switch some games to October? Could use these instead of warm up games should we make Qatar 

I reckon it would be. What does complicate matters is euro 2024 qualifiers start in March of next year with the draw happening in October of this year which is dependent on Nations League ranking. There are six match days to find, currently there are 4 for June and 2 in September. Why not have 2 in June, 2 in September and 2 in the break for the World cup?

1 minute ago, romanticscot said:

I reckon it would be. What does complicate matters is euro 2024 qualifiers start in March of next year with the draw happening in October of this year which is dependent on Nations League ranking. There are six match days to find, currently there are 4 for June and 2 in September. Why not have 2 in June, 2 in September and 2 in the break for the World cup?

🤔 What if we qualify for world cup?as we all hope

How would that work...

16 minutes ago, stocky said:

🤔 What if we qualify for world cup?as we all hope

How would that work...

Simply we are playing 2 Nations League games instead of our pre tournament friendlies during those few weeks prior. Depending on the time window, would play a pre tournie friendly as well.

Edited by romanticscot

On 4/10/2022 at 4:55 PM, McTeeko said:

Agreed

I think the answer's staring us in the face.

Wales stand aside, obviously, and Scotland play Ukraine in Qatar on Monday 21st November instead of the opening ceremony in a winner takes all directly before the official first match. In fact, you can have the opening ceremony going on in the background while the game is played.

On 4/10/2022 at 11:55 AM, McTeeko said:

Could not agree more. I am disgusted and my heart goes out to the people of Ukraine, its inhumane, and heartbreaking  to see what is happening in their country, but, it is not Scotlands fault, and we should not suffer because they cannot field a team at the moment. We have been more than humane, fair, and respectful of the situation, but there is still a tournament to be played, and countries need to get on with it. Now I am reading their football team will be playing together and preparing far better than us. So for a country, so crippled by war, they seem pretty focused on their football. If I remember when the draw was made, they were all celebrating that they drew Scotland, to me, that was disrespectful. Also remember the last time we played them, Tartan Army supporters were set upon. I have compassion for the genocide that is happening to them, but from a football perspective, they should not get a bye to Qatar. Field a squad, and play your match v Scotland,they have been given time. For the 90 minutes, I hope we fuckin get right tore intae the cunts !! My 2 boys have never seen Scotland play in  World Cup final, it's about time they do...  Alba Gu Brath..🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿