Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 269 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, csinclair said:

As good as City’s goal was, Tierney should have done better.

I do think Artera repeatedly starting other players ahead of him whenever Zinchenko is injured says he should get out of there

Come on Eddie Howe (or someone), put in a bid!

4 hours ago, todd said:

Watching the 'celebrations' of arsenal's triumph today, Tierney in the background looked like a man pretending to be excited with his team mates.  He doesn't belong there and the sooner he gets away the better in my opinion.

I thought that too

10 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Come on Eddie Howe (or someone), put in a bid!

Anyone with half a footballing brain can see, on his day, Tierney's Arsenal's best LB, which makes me think Arteta must think he's made of glass given all his recent injury woes.

Now if he can't get a game ahead of players he's better than and those who are being played out of their natural position then how many other clubs are going to want him?  Certainly none on a par with or close to Arsenal. 

So if he's going to have take a wage cut to get regular game time, I can't help but think he's going to end up back at Celtic before the end of the transfer window which would be an even bigger waste than staying at Arsenal (in my own humble opinion).

1 hour ago, kwhitelaw said:

Anyone with half a footballing brain can see, on his day, Tierney's Arsenal's best LB, which makes me think Arteta must think he's made of glass given all his recent injury woes.

Now if he can't get a game ahead of players he's better than and those who are being played out of their natural position then how many other clubs are going to want him?  Certainly none on a par with or close to Arsenal. 

So if he's going to have take a wage cut to get regular game time, I can't help but think he's going to end up back at Celtic before the end of the transfer window which would be an even bigger waste than staying at Arsenal (in my own humble opinion).

Arteta is a clown. 

Arsenal will get nowhere near a title with him as boss. 

I don't think Arteta is a clown, he showed last season what he can do but I'm not sure he is a top manager that will win the big trophies. 

I think Tierney could be his own biggest problem.  He seems quiet and go with the flow type of person, I've never seen him in the face of another player or go mad when things don't go his way. Even his goal celebrations are quite laid back.

If Arteta thinks he is the easy option to drop and doesn't have to deal with an upset player he maybe takes the easy way out and drops him to the bench. Him and the Ukraine player (can't spell his name) are friends from city so could become a pain if he gets dropped.

The bit I don't get is other players getting in and played out of position.

2 hours ago, stitch said:

I think Tierney could be his own biggest problem.  He seems quiet and go with the flow type of person, I've never seen him in the face of another player or go mad when things don't go his way. Even his goal celebrations are quite laid back.

Not sure that's overly true. 

Celtic star Kieran Tierney blasts Motherwell over lack of respect after  sneaky throw-in goal - Daily Record

Arsenal salute Kieran Tierney with series of tweets as fans praise Scotland  international - Glasgow Live

Don't mess with Kieran Tierney: How Arsenal's young Glaswegian has given  Gunners a much-needed hard edge

Kieran Tierney savours Arsenal FA Cup glory as Gunners fight back to stun  Chelsea - Daily Record

Manchester United target Kieran Tierney impresses Gordon | Daily Mail Online

Arsenal star Kieran Tierney reveals his Scotland dressing room playlist -  but party tune ISN'T Yes Sir, I Can Boogie | The Scottish Sun

Former Celtic star revels in brilliant Scotland goal as celebrations with  ex-Hoops teammates suffer VAR scare - Daily Record

I would love to know how much influence agents have in their players' transfer matters. I know Kieran Tierney, Scott McTominay and Ryan Fraser's circumstances are different but surely clubs have put in bids for them. Priority has to be regular first team football but seems that wage demands (at least in Fraser's case and perhaps in others) are scuppering moves. So is this the agents putting such demands in to ensure they get a bigger cut? 

I don't think Arteta is a clown, he showed last season what he can do but I'm not sure he is a top manager that will win the big trophies. 

If Arteta thinks he is the easy option to drop and doesn't have to deal with an upset player he maybe takes the easy way out and drops him to the bench. Him and the Ukraine player (can't spell his name) are friends from city so could become a pain if he gets dropped.

How society has changed.. eh! When going mad when things don't go your way is seen as positive... instead of it being the actions of a self entitled spoilt little shit. Sad really. 

If that's the case then that's weak management from Arteta. He should be making decisions based on picking the right team, not thinking "ach, I'll drop KT instead of such-and-such, he's less likely to kick off".

Managing people and their personalities isn't easy but it's part of the job - possibly the most important part of the job. Taking the soft option just for an easier life is tempting but it isn't the sign of a potentially successful manager.

I see Eddie Gray's grandson made his debut for Leeds on Saturday, only 17 years of age but getting rave reviews. Already playing for England's youth squads unfortunately.

Crazy to think we might miss out on Darren Fletcher's two sons, Davie Weir's son and Eddie Gray's grandson. 

I dont think Arteta is a bad manager. He is just clearly in the mold of Pep who doesnt play with traditional wide full backs. This is why Tierney doesnt play and wont play much this season. 

Tierney or his advisors surely know this and should be looking for a team who play in a system that suits him where he has already proven he is a top player. The only question mark is his injury record but at 35 odd million he isnt a huge outlay. (Given Newcastle have just paid more for somebody who isnt established in the full back position and will be as a back up to Trippier)

3 hours ago, ghorne67 said:

I see Eddie Gray's grandson made his debut for Leeds on Saturday, only 17 years of age but getting rave reviews. Already playing for England's youth squads unfortunately.

Crazy to think we might miss out on Darren Fletcher's two sons, Davie Weir's son and Eddie Gray's grandson. 

We will only miss out on them if they are good enough for england. The chances of that are probably quite slim.

I tuned in for the last 30mins of Liverpool's friendly last night to watch Doak... he is going to be a superstar! He runs past players like they don't exist. I can't recall really any Scot breaking through in my lifetime with the tools he's equipped with. 

The closest player to him that I can think of is McGeady but he never had the same explosive acceleration that Doak has. (And also not  Scottish) Mikey Johnston looked promising but has had a ton of injuries (also no longer Scottish).

I'd be surprised if he doesn't get enough minutes to convince Clarke he deserves a call up soon.

18 hours ago, ghorne67 said:

Personally I think both fletchers sons will end up playing for Scotland even if they are good enough for England, how’s weir son getting on nowadays? 

27 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I tuned in for the last 30mins of Liverpool's friendly last night to watch Doak... he is going to be a superstar! He runs past players like they don't exist. I can't recall really any Scot breaking through in my lifetime with the tools he's equipped with. 

The closest player to him that I can think of is McGeady but he never had the same explosive acceleration that Doak has. (And also not  Scottish) Mikey Johnston looked promising but has had a ton of injuries (also no longer Scottish).

I'd be surprised if he doesn't get enough minutes to convince Clarke he deserves a call up soon.

I think it will be a big surprise if we qualify for the Euros and he is not in our squad. Klopp has been raving about him throughout pre-season and he is getting plenty of minutes to impress.

2 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Personally I think both fletchers sons will end up playing for Scotland even if they are good enough for England, how’s weir son getting on nowadays? 

He has 3 kids that are footballers. One plays English non-league, Kenzie (his daughter) plays for Scotland under 19 and Jensen plays for Brighton. He has been loaned twice to league 1 over the last two seasons and has played about 60 games at that level. Last year he was with Morecombe who were relegated.

I expect if he is good enough for international football he will pick Scotland as will both Fletchers. When they are young the development opportunities afforded to the English kids are far better (i.e. playing in major championships, not being coached by absolute dinosaurs etc.) so it is logical to pick that route. Step 1 is being good enough for a professional career (let alone international football) and frankly, playing in the Scottish youth setup gives a lower chance of achieving that milestone.

19 minutes ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

He has 3 kids that are footballers. One plays English non-league, Kenzie (his daughter) plays for Scotland under 19 and Jensen plays for Brighton. He has been loaned twice to league 1 over the last two seasons and has played about 60 games at that level. Last year he was with Morecombe who were relegated.

I expect if he is good enough for international football he will pick Scotland as will both Fletchers. When they are young the development opportunities afforded to the English kids are far better (i.e. playing in major championships, not being coached by absolute dinosaurs etc.) so it is logical to pick that route. Step 1 is being good enough for a professional career (let alone international football) and frankly, playing in the Scottish youth setup gives a lower chance of achieving that milestone.

Seeing a lot of reports linking Jensen Weir with a loan to Derby so looks like another season in League One

39 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

When I see some of these highlights result in end product then I'll jump on the bandwagon. A lot of potential but until we see that at a senior level we may as well be watching highlights of Adama Traore

His end product is a bit hit or miss but he is only 17. The raw potential is clearly there. 

1 hour ago, N4Footsoldier said:

When I see some of these highlights result in end product then I'll jump on the bandwagon. A lot of potential but until we see that at a senior level we may as well be watching highlights of Adama Traore

Hmm an end product that is missing from most of our attacking options. Klopp raves about him and would not give a look to the likes of Turnbull, Brown, McBurnie and even Nisbet and Shankland.