Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 218 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Turns out the Oxford keeper Edward Mcginty is born in Motherwell, just broken through currently playing Aresnal on itv at the moment, although has played for Ireland u21s. 

Just posted that on other thread.

Has he been any good 🤔

Edited by stocky

6 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

If doak gets plenty of gametime off the bench for liverpool before the march games then clarke should probably consider him for the squad. 5 or 6 more sub appearances for liverpool and i reckon clarke picks him for the march squads.

I agree 100% & if so hope he is selected. We seem to have as few players either injured or not being selected currently so his emergence could be a real boost to start a new campaign.

12 hours ago, syecosse said:

Stocky not letting me quote reply, not at fault for any of the Arsenal goals but nothing done particularly good either, actually hard to judge on this game so far which is surprising as you would expect him to of had a busy game.

Sounds like hes picked ireland already. Not sure thats the best choice as we have a more promising group of players who could get to tournaments and hes up against that bazuna guy whos supposed to pretty good and probably gunna be irelands no.1. Perhaps we can try and nick him away with the promise of becoming no.1 in a team that has more chance of making major tournaments. 

Thats if he turns out to be any good.

12 hours ago, syecosse said:

Turns out the Oxford keeper Edward Mcginty is born in Motherwell, just broken through currently playing Aresnal on itv at the moment, although has played for Ireland u21s. 

Definitely not one to have any eye on, even with our GK situation. Was playing part time with Sligo Rovers until a few months ago (didn't play against Motherwell this season). Since going to Oxford he hardly played and only played the last handful of games as the 1st choice keeper is injured.

43 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Tommy Conway and Hayden Hackney are named in sky sports 21 for u21s, which names the best young players in the Championship and lower.

Good to hear.  I was quite impressed by Hackney when he played in the last U21 game.

17 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Sounds like hes picked ireland already. Not sure thats the best choice as we have a more promising group of players who could get to tournaments and hes up against that bazuna guy whos supposed to pretty good and probably gunna be irelands no.1. Perhaps we can try and nick him away with the promise of becoming no.1 in a team that has more chance of making major tournaments. 

Thats if he turns out to be any good.

Aye, it's kind of the worst of both worlds for him.  We do have a better choice of outfield player at the moment, but Ireland's goalkeeping position is far stronger.  They have Bazunu and Travers playing regularly in the EPL, Kelleher as back-up to Allison at Liverpool and others playing regularly in the English Championship, so not only does he appear unlikely to be called-up by the Irish senior team, even if he did it seems equally unlikely that he'd get to go to a tournament.

18 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

I literally cannot see any upside in having one of our most talented young players spend a week with Scot Gemmill.

He'd benefit significantly more from a week of training with Salah, VVD, Allison etc than he would with Scott Gemmill. He didn't even start him in any of our previous games. Though he was still 16 then.

However, the u21s squad is the strongest it's been this century, and it may be a way for him to build rapport and gel with fellow future internationalists. E.g Barron, Lowry, Wilson, Hackney etc

And, from a selfish point of view, we get to see more of him.

22 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Good to hear.  I was quite impressed by Hackney when he played in the last U21 game.

Aye, it's kind of the worst of both worlds for him.  We do have a better choice of outfield player at the moment, but Ireland's goalkeeping position is far stronger.  They have Bazunu and Travers playing regularly in the EPL, Kelleher as back-up to Allison at Liverpool and others playing regularly in the English Championship, so not only does he appear unlikely to be called-up by the Irish senior team, even if he did it seems equally unlikely that he'd get to go to a tournament.

I actually didnt realise how good Irelands keeper options are. Those three are really young as well. I think mcginty would be best to consider his options before committing to ireland. If he doesnt make it in the epl then he might struggle to get games for ireland whereas he could become our no.1 quite easily by just becoming a championship regular. Unless we decide to go for gunn which is a possibility. 

19 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

He'd benefit significantly more from a week of training with Salah, VVD, Allison etc than he would with Scott Gemmill. He didn't even start him in any of our previous games. Though he was still 16 then.

However, the u21s squad is the strongest it's been this century, and it may be a way for him to build rapport and gel with fellow future internationalists. E.g Barron, Lowry, Wilson, Hackney etc

And, from a selfish point of view, we get to see more of him.

He started the last U21 game against Iceland and could have had a hattrick if his finishing was better. Ran the defence ragged in the first half before tiring in the 2nd (this seemed to be the case with Lowry too).

39 minutes ago, csinclair said:

He started the last U21 game against Iceland and could have had a hattrick if his finishing was better. Ran the defence ragged in the first half before tiring in the 2nd (this seemed to be the case with Lowry too).

Oh yeah, I forgot about that game. I even watched some of it! Well I'm still in favour of him getting called up to the senior squad, as he might as well get to know his inevitable teammates. He's almost outgrown the u21s already.

10 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Definitely not one to have any eye on, even with our GK situation. Was playing part time with Sligo Rovers until a few months ago (didn't play against Motherwell this season). Since going to Oxford he hardly played and only played the last handful of games as the 1st choice keeper is injured.

Totally agree, he is 23 & done next to nothing of note. 

10 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

It's getting fuc..ng mad.Why would we want this guy.Absolutely no reason looking at his record that we would want him ahead of what we have got.Seems to be an obsession with trying to get guys who have commited to other countries.Doesn't seem to matter if they are any good or not.Crazy stuff.🥴

11 minutes ago, thesaint said:

It's getting fuc..ng mad.Why would we want this guy.Absolutely no reason looking at his record that we would want him ahead of what we have got.Seems to be an obsession with trying to get guys who have commited to other countries.Doesn't seem to matter if they are any good or not.Crazy stuff.🥴

Probably because we have nae kunt

4 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Amidst all the fuss that Romeo Beckham played for Brentford B last night there was another name on the team sheet, Max Dickov, so of Paul. I think he was born in England but will be eligible for us.

Funnily enough I saw his brother Sam playing at the weekend against my local team. Unfortunately that was for Wythenshawe Amateurs in the 10th tier of English football

During last nights Southampton v Man city did anyone else hear the saints fans singing.

'youre just a shite Che Adams ' at Haarland when he came on.

Made me laugh....😂

Hopefully we can recreate at Hampden when Norway come calling..

Stats bomb( twitter scout site that compares players) had the challenge of finding the player under the age of under 23 that most compared to Gini Wijnaldum at Liverpool, the player they found was Hayden Hackney, Also recently being named in the best u21s in the EFL on sky, Middlesbrough fans comments on this is all pretty impressive underneath and fans of other clubs in the Championship, cannot see him staying in the Championship if he continues at this rate.

44 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Stats bomb( twitter scout site that compares players) had the challenge of finding the player under the age of under 23 that most compared to Gini Wijnaldum at Liverpool, the player they found was Hayden Hackney, Also recently being named in the best u21s in the EFL on sky, Middlesbrough fans comments on this is all pretty impressive underneath and fans of other clubs in the Championship, cannot see him staying in the Championship if he continues at this rate.

I went to the Boro v Brighton cup tie last weekend (son’s a Brighton fan, he grew up round there) and I kept an eye on Hackney. Looked quite out his depth to be honest. Fair enough, he’s inexperienced and Brighton have Mac Allister and Caicedo in midfield and are a fine team. Based on that game there looked an enormous gap between the Premier League and Championship. Not writing off the kid, of course