Netherlands warm up game. - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Netherlands warm up game.

er yir macaroon

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

That performance last night is the kinda performance Clarke usually got vs the old firm for killie. Zero fear.

Think Clarke having a month with them is a big wild card for us. If he turns us into a sexier version Kilmarnock then we could hopefully surprise a few. 

No fear was a massive take from last night. 

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Dave in London said:

Don’t tell any Scotland fans, but this England fan has a mild case of the ‘terror’ about our imminent match up.

All of the planets are aligning...

Rivalry aside, genuinely happy you guys are back on the tournament stage.

Really good team too...

Welcome back Dave.

Pre-tournament nerves are natural and playing arch rivals make it even more so. It will all depend on what sides turn up on the day and in what frame of mind and how they set themselves out. We showed last night we can mix it with top notch sides but that was with the right mindset. If we go into the game having beaten the Czechs then I suspect Clarke will be more cautious and that could cost us but hey ho it is just great to be back.

9 hours ago, bossman4 said:

I still think McTominay will be in midfield. For me Hendry looks to have nailed down the right centre half position. I could see Armstrong playing further up the park where Christie was tonight supporting Adams.

Indeed. The defence that started last night may well be the defence that starts against the Czechs (barring O'Donnell back in at right wing-back). The midfield trio will be McTominay, McGregor and McGinn with Dykes and Christie up front.

9 hours ago, shug macdiarmid said:

Surely Hendry and Cooper both made a strong case, so no need to move McT back. Mebbe McGregor will pick up a wee knock and Gilmour will get a more lengthy shot at it...

Mcgregor would need to be involved in a physical encounter with an opposition player to get a knock, he just floats around doing very little during a game.

14 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Indeed. The defence that started last night may well be the defence that starts against the Czechs (barring O'Donnell back in at right wing-back). The midfield trio will be McTominay, McGregor and McGinn with Dykes and Christie up front.

I can see him going with Armstrong instead of McGregor. Armstrong had a good game last night, while McGregor was probably our worst performer. 

I'm hoping Gilmour really impresses in training and puts on a great show vs. Luxembourg. Putting his name on that team sheet.

18 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

Mcgregor would need to be involved in a physical encounter with an opposition player to get a knock, he just floats around doing very little during a game.

Sums up his Scotland career, at least anytime I’ve watched him play. 

Thought we played pretty well last night, however would not have dykes anywhere near a starting place, he isn’t of the quality required at this level .

he looked like he was hauling a tow truck at times last night and he isn’t any better than mcburnie to be honest .

15 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I can see him going with Armstrong instead of McGregor. Armstrong had a good game last night, while McGregor was probably our worst performer. 

I'm hoping Gilmour really impresses in training and puts on a great show vs. Luxembourg. Putting his name on that team sheet.

I can't see either happening.

McGregor has started the majority of matches for us (when fit) in Clarke's reign so cannot see him being jettisoned for a major tournament when he's just played in a side playing perhaps their nest friendly in years. And Gilmour it is too soon. It was touch and go he'd even make the squad let along make our starting line-up. 

Looking back in the cold light of day we're p*ssed off that we didn't beat a top 10 side with a depleted team and a disrupted preparation.  Ok it was a friendly but a pretty competitive one!  I didn't see much evidence of anyone going through the motions.

Still raging about that free kick.  Scary to think that had it been a couple of inches further up the park then that clown would've given a penalty.  Hope to fck they don't have idiots like that in charge during the tournament.

Last night was very encouraging and I thought everyone did well apart from Mcgregor who is just having a bad season characterised by poor decision making on the ball. Not sure about Dykes up front, the jury is out on who gets the nod up front. 

Possibly Armstrong's best game for Scotland to date 👍 The best things about the night were that the back 3 operated well till the changes and we carried a threat all night. 

15 minutes ago, slasher said:

Last night was very encouraging and I thought everyone did well apart from Mcgregor who is just having a bad season characterised by poor decision making on the ball. Not sure about Dykes up front, the jury is out on who gets the nod up front. 

Possibly Armstrong's best game for Scotland to date 👍 The best things about the night were that the back 3 operated well till the changes and we carried a threat all night. 

Except his debut ( or first competitive match ) against Slovenia at Hampden, outstanding that night.

He has come on physically since going South and looked pretty impressive last night on the left hand side with Robertson

It is really odd how things change over such a short space of time.

Under McLeish we'd bemoan the lack of options in defence and being toothless up front. Now, its fair to say, we have options we can trust. In the centre of defence we have Hendry, Hanley, Cooper, Tierney, Gallagher and even McKenna who can all put in a good performance when called upon. No bomb scare options there as was the case in the past. Up front we've got stronger with Dykes, Adams and Nisbet all showing they know where the goal is for us. We've been strong in midfield for some time now and we now have a bit of strength in depth too. Last night certain starters McTominay and McGinn were missing but we showed we have enough back-up there to not allow that to weaken us too much.

1 hour ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Thought we played pretty well last night, however would not have dykes anywhere near a starting place, he isn’t of the quality required at this level .

he looked like he was hauling a tow truck at times last night and he isn’t any better than mcburnie to be honest .

I actually thought he did ok. Couple of times he got the ball on the half way line as we were looking to break and he was able to hold the ball under pressure and find a pass. Also did the same in the Serbia game where Robbo blazed it over the bar. I think his calm head adds a lot but physically Adams is better. Would have loved to see them both. 

36 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It is really odd how things change over such a short space of time.

Under McLeish we'd bemoan the lack of options in defence and being toothless up front. Now, its fair to say, we have options we can trust. In the centre of defence we have Hendry, Hanley, Cooper, Tierney, Gallagher and even McKenna who can all put in a good performance when called upon. No bomb scare options there as was the case in the past. Up front we've got stronger with Dykes, Adams and Nisbet all showing they know where the goal is for us. We've been strong in midfield for some time now and we now have a bit of strength in depth too. Last night certain starters McTominay and McGinn were missing but we showed we have enough back-up there to not allow that to weaken us too much.

Think your post shows the improvement of certain players. Hendry, Hanley, Cooper and Tierney were barely considered for defence (Hendry and Tierney not at all) but all four have showed massive improvement over the last year.

Pretty much the same with Dykes, Adams and Nisbet.

The only real losses since McLeish left are A McGregor and Fletcher although I would say C McGregor's decline is a worry,but I wouldn't have him in my starting 11 anyway.

Really really hope Marshall looks good in training, I cant have Gordon playing at this sort of level any more.

1 hour ago, daviebee said:

Looking back in the cold light of day we're p*ssed off that we didn't beat a top 10 side with a depleted team and a disrupted preparation.  Ok it was a friendly but a pretty competitive one!  I didn't see much evidence of anyone going through the motions.

Still raging about that free kick.  Scary to think that had it been a couple of inches further up the park then that clown would've given a penalty.  Hope to fck they don't have idiots like that in charge during the tournament.

If you are referring to the world rankings the Netherlands aren’t a top 10 side but it was still a good performance and decent result. If Clarke had been desperate to beat them he would have kept Robertson and Tierney on the park but it was far more important to get other players some minutes and keep those two fit and fresh. 

We shouldn’t concede penalties like that at that at the tournament as VAR should hopefully intervene but that won’t stop dodgy free kicks. If I was Clarke I would be telling my defenders not to touch players in that position at all as they will drop like flies to get a dangerous free kick as soon as they feel hands on them. Having said that the ref was clueless last night and was obviously a big Depay fan. 

13 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

He certainly caused us to lose a few though. 

We’ll certainly one anyway, maybe I’m being unfair to him. I’m far too young to remember him playing for us. ☺️

Hansen was world class: the dilemma of McLeish and Miller (great club duo) v. Hansen and one of them was akin to the Tierney/Robbie dilemma, only we never solved it. You have to remember that also, back then, there was great antipathy to the so-called 'anglos' which we don't seem to get now.

For evidence of how much Depay was 'at it' there was an incident late on. We were pinned back but had the ball and passed it in a triangle back to Gordon and Depay ran into Gallagher I think it would have been and started waving his arms about claiming for a free-kick 20-yards out when the ball was nowhere near him. Chancer.

3 hours ago, RDFH64 said:

Spot on. Off the top of my head, I remember twice where he should have put a tackle in, or at least a block, but instead literally took a step back. 

Besides that, what a wonderful defensive display last night. Tierney is going to absolutely tear up this Euros. Hendry and Cooper were sensational. Hanley might struggle to get back into the starting 11 after that. Cooper made 2 fantastic improvised backheel clearances. My opinion of him has soared. And Oostende have pulled off the deal of the century if they sell Hendry after the tournament.

Forrest needed the minutes, but looked extremely unfit. I chuckled when he fell over from chesting the ball.

Turnbull was clearly nervous but showed his composure on a few occasions. Great to see him making tackles as well. Lost Depay in the opener, but that is really where the anchorman *cough*McGregor*cough* should have been.

I think if we'd had a starting midfield of McTominay, McGinn and Gilmour, we would have been even more comfortable. But you can't ask for a much better warm up than that.

Edited by Tartan blood

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Welcome back Dave.

Pre-tournament nerves are natural and playing arch rivals make it even more so. It will all depend on what sides turn up on the day and in what frame of mind and how they set themselves out. We showed last night we can mix it with top notch sides but that was with the right mindset. If we go into the game having beaten the Czechs then I suspect Clarke will be more cautious and that could cost us but hey ho it is just great to be back.

All being well, a draw might just suit both of us.

14 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

100% agree and think it is a waning sign against playing inexperienced players against the elite teams.

I don't get why Turnbull is getting pelters, not just on here but sportsound had a pop at him too. Surely one of the centre backs should pick up Depay - or at least defensive mid (McGregor). Turnbull very nearly won it for us with a shot from his weaker foot just failing to make it 3-1.

Tierney may well now be playing himself in to a move to a top club, ie bayern, barca, juve, man city.  

im not sure that mcginn, armstrong, mctominay will be the midfield. All three are box to box.  I would imagine that next year gilmour will be holding with two from the other three.