The news thread - Page 153 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

7 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

If Sunak is punted after that loss, that opens the door for Johnson in opposition, but I don't think he'd bother with it. Not in opposition.

So, what's he going to do? I suspect he'll stand on the sidelines throwing grenades at Sunak for the next 18 months, but that doesn't only damage Sunak, it damages the Conservative party too. I don't think Johnson honestly cares though.

That presupposes that he can somehow obtain a safe Tory seat before the next election, which would be a lot easier said than done.  I don’t know if you can remember the whole “cash for questions” corruption scandal but in the 1997 election which followed it, Martin Bell stood as an independent against Neil Hamilton - who was one of the most corrupt MPs caught up.   He turned a 16,000 Tory majority into a 12,000 majority for himself as Labour and the Lib Dems withdrew their candidates.  I could see something similar happening if Johnson were to stand again next year. 

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I see Johnson is reportedly getting a weekly column in the Mail. I could not think if a  more apt partnership  . Lying scumbag politician writes for a lying scumbag paper. 

I saw that. I didn't think the Daily Mail could get any lower in my opinion, but it's managed it.

15 hours ago, aaid said:

and managed to break the rules in doing that.

I never broke any rules, I asked numerous advisers who all said it was ok, this is another witch-hunt and everyone’s out to get me 🥳🥳🥳

On 6/19/2023 at 5:47 PM, Ally Bongo said:

🙄

Titanic tourist submersible goes missing with search under way

A severe case of more money than sense. 

It's also reported there had been issues with the communications before

6 hours ago, Kirk said:

A severe case of more money than sense. 

It's also reported there had been issues with the communications before

I'm sure someone else will have said this but juxtapose the coverage of this from say that boat where hundreds of refugees died.

3 hours ago, phart said:

I'm sure someone else will have said this but juxtapose the coverage of this from say that boat where hundreds of refugees died.

It does exemplify our media. Western world society in general too.

still, gr8 result last night 

4 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Of course it failed - she had the numbers in her favour. 

I'm glad you didn't disagree that she's thick as pig shit. 

Which is why having a VONC was nothing other than a performative waste of time.  Good to see the Better Together parties rallying around though - that should focus minds on what it’ll be like if they get a majority again.  Fergus Ewing should have the whip withdrawn, weak from Yousaf if there’s no sanction there.  Dissent is acceptable on some issues, a government confidence vote isn’t one of them.

Pig shit or not, she’s the co-leader of the Greens. As long as she wants one and as long as the coalition is in place, she’s bombproof.  BTW, she’s a qualified engineer with years of experience in the renewables sector - she’s not stupid. 

1 minute ago, aaid said:

Which is why having a VONC was nothing other than a performative waste of time.  Good to see the Better Together parties rallying around though - that should focus minds on what it’ll be like if they get a majority again.  Fergus Ewing should have the whip withdrawn, weak from Yousaf if there’s no sanction there.  Dissent is acceptable on some issues, a government confidence vote isn’t one of them.

Pig shit or not, she’s the co-leader of the Greens. As long as she wants one and as long as the coalition is in place, she’s bombproof.  BTW, she’s a qualified engineer with years of experience in the renewables sector - she’s not stupid. 

The whole thing has been a big political performance.  The sad thing is, the deposit return scheme, as a concept, is fundamentally a good idea, IMO, but there appears to have been a determination for it to fail.

Meanwhile, slobby, clatty cunts up and down the land (well, Glasgow anyway, the slobby, clatty cunt capital of Europe) continue to ditch their empty and half empty bottles and cans, spoiling the environment and making the place look like a massive shitehole.

5 hours ago, scotlad said:

The whole thing has been a big political performance.  The sad thing is, the deposit return scheme, as a concept, is fundamentally a good idea, IMO, but there appears to have been a determination for it to fail.

Meanwhile, slobby, clatty cunts up and down the land (well, Glasgow anyway, the slobby, clatty cunt capital of Europe) continue to ditch their empty and half empty bottles and cans, spoiling the environment and making the place look like a massive shitehole.

We really have got no chance of embracing policies like the deposit return scheme when, as you say, so many folk cant even be arsed to stick a bit of paper in a bin. I  walk along Argyle st in the early morning and the streets are clean and tidy . Come late afternoon there is litter everywhere. Folk have no respect , though maybe bribing them with cash on returned items to keep the streets tidy is what some of the country actually needs .

9 hours ago, scotlad said:

😂 It really is.  I mean, there is a reason that ship sank in the first place!

And it took them years to find the thing too 🤣

Certainly not how I'd be spending my billions if I ever have them

17 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

"More is known about the moon's surface than the depths of the ocean. In fact, 12 people have stepped foot on the moon, but only three have been to the Mariana Trench — the deepest part of the ocean, at roughly 7 miles (11 kilometers) deep."

There a reason why ocean depth exploring is not a great idea. 

At its deepest the water pressure is the equivalent of having 50 jumbo jets on top of you, cheers for posting that was really interesting 👍. Used to be obsessed with reading about the Mariana Trench in the Guinness book of records or the National Geographic when I was a small child, then hit the age for scud mags and swapped one type of trench for another 😳