The news thread - Page 152 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Lindsay Jarrett, who people may remember as the woman who scaled the rocks at Edinburgh Castle in 2014 to leave a massive Yes sign, while she was suffering from an untreatable and terminal lung condition has passed on in Inverness.

Really sad news, at least she lived a good while longer than was expected.

A real hero.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 6/13/2023 at 10:29 AM, Ally Bongo said:

And over here a woman was jailed for 2 years for aborting her baby after the allowed date ...

I see the "T" word must not be used regards Nottingham when it clearly is

Police are still unclear of what the motive is for this obvious act of terrorism.

Maybe take this as a lesson why people shouldn’t comment on stories when the facts are not known or clear.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-65904285

Police Scotland has announced the appointment of its first female chief constable.

Jo Farrell, the current chief constable of Durham Constabulary, will replace Sir Iain Livingstone, who is retiring in August.

Ms Farrell became the Durham Constabulary's first female chief constable in 2019, having previously been assistant chief constable at Northumbria Police.

She was in charge in Durham during its high-profile "beergate" investigation into Labour leader Keir Starmer, who was cleared of any wrongdoing following allegation he breached coronavirus rules."

Track record of being Labour-friendly then. Anas will be pleased.

962.webp

17 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Police Scotland has announced the appointment of its first female chief constable.

Jo Farrell, the current chief constable of Durham Constabulary, will replace Sir Iain Livingstone, who is retiring in August.

Ms Farrell became the Durham Constabulary's first female chief constable in 2019, having previously been assistant chief constable at Northumbria Police.

She was in charge in Durham during its high-profile "beergate" investigation into Labour leader Keir Starmer, who was cleared of any wrongdoing following allegation he breached coronavirus rules."

962.webp

They’d already investigated that incident but only reopened it after complaints and pressure from the local Tory MP.

So compliant to political pressure.  

5 minutes ago, aaid said:

They’d already investigated that incident but only reopened it after complaints and pressure from the local Tory MP.

So compliant to political pressure.  

Have they revealed what the new info is?

"They had been initially cleared by police in February of breaking any laws but officers reopened the investigation into the event in May after receiving "significant new information".

6 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Have they revealed what the new info is?

"They had been initially cleared by police in February of breaking any laws but officers reopened the investigation into the event in May after receiving "significant new information".

It’s got it’s whole own Wikipedia page 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beergate

4 minutes ago, aaid said:

It’s got it’s whole own Wikipedia page 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beergate

Durham polis seem to be Labour to the core 😬

"Michael Barton, former chief constable of Durham Constabulary, said: "It had all the hallmarks of a political smear campaign, not a fair and justified criminal investigation", and had "taken experienced detectives away from proper police work."[76]"

52 minutes ago, aaid said:

Police are still unclear of what the motive is for this obvious act of terrorism.

Maybe take this as a lesson why people shouldn’t comment on stories when the facts are not known or clear.

They are that unclear that the counter terrorism force has been all over Nottingham like a rash

Suspect is West African

Recent terrorist modus operandi involves stabbing and using vehicles to run people over

And is that isnt enough evidence to make a reasonable assumption  - they conveniently have got in first that the suspect has a history of "mental illness"

That old chestnut

10 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

They are that unclear that the counter terrorism force has been all over Nottingham like a rash

Suspect is West African

Recent terrorist modus operandi involves stabbing and using vehicles to run people over

And is that isnt enough evidence to make a reasonable assumption  - they conveniently have got in first that the suspect has a history of "mental illness"

That old chestnut

You need to get onto them and point out that black man + knives + white van = terrorist FACT!!!!

1 hour ago, Dave78 said:

962.webp

Had Starmer been holding a can of Coca-Cola, would this have even been a story?

1 minute ago, Rich NATA said:

Had Starmer been holding a can of Coca-Cola, would this have even been a story?

Reminds me of a company I once worked for whose expenses policy was that they wouldn’t refund for an alcoholic drink with dinner.

I got away with having a couple of beers in Helsinki as the receipt was in Finnish.

4 hours ago, aaid said:

Well there's a lot of truth in that. I nearly posted something similar about the young lad who died at school in Livingston the other day.  I've taught not a million miles from there and can only imagine how horrible it must have been for pupils, teachers and not least the family to have social media speculating about how/why he died. I think it's natural to speculate but wiser to keep it our selves 

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Easy enough to make that decision now that he is no longer PM. I bet this inquest would not have even happened had he still been PM such are the cover-ups for those in power at Westminster.

I think you’d be wrong there, the inquiry was started when he was PM.  The sanction was increased as a result of his actions over the weekend, including leaking the report and attacking the committee.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

I think you’d be wrong there, the inquiry was started when he was PM.  The sanction was increased as a result of his actions over the weekend, including leaking the report and attacking the committee.

All correct.

What else? 

There was a Tory majority on the committee (four to three).

The four Tories were chosen by Johnson.

All seven on the committee were approved by a vote in parliament.

All seven found Johnson guilty.

Of course, it's unfair and biased and a stitch up 🙄

7 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

All correct.

What else? 

There was a Tory majority on the committee (four to three).

The four Tories were chosen by Johnson.

All seven on the committee were approved by a vote in parliament.

All seven found Johnson guilty.

Of course, it's unfair and biased and a stitch up 🙄

The interesting question is has this fatally floored any hopes of a Johnson come back? Who is most likely to gain if Sunak loses the next election and gets replaced as party leader? And assuming Labour only get their usual term in office who might be the next Tory PM?  Penny Mordaunt?

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

The interesting question is has this fatally floored any hopes of a Johnson come back? Who is most likely to gain if Sunak loses the next election and gets replaced as party leader? And assuming Labour only get their usual term in office who might be the next Tory PM?  Penny Mordaunt?

Probably someone completely from left field, who isn’t even being considered now.  

When Gordon Brown resigned, it was Ed Milliband who became Labour leader and who was very much not the favourite candidate.

Similarly, William Hague, took over from John Major in 1997.

In both these cases you could probably consider the new leadership as a generational shift.  

2 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

I can't see Johnson disappearing anytime soon, but...

I can't see the Tories changing leader before the next election. They've had enough drama and infighting; even Rees-Mogg thinks it would be electoral suicide if they changed the leader.

That said, anyone who's anyone says the Tories won't win the GE.

If Sunak is punted after that loss, that opens the door for Johnson in opposition, but I don't think he'd bother with it. Not in opposition.

So, what's he going to do? I suspect he'll stand on the sidelines throwing grenades at Sunak for the next 18 months, but that doesn't only damage Sunak, it damages the Conservative party too. I don't think Johnson honestly cares though.

As for his colleagues and supporters... There's an election in 18 months. If they don't put all this aside and get on the Sunak bus very quickly, they're f*cked.