The news thread - Page 154 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

11 hours ago, EddardStark said:

"More is known about the moon's surface than the depths of the ocean. In fact, 12 people have stepped foot on the moon, but only three have been to the Mariana Trench — the deepest part of the ocean, at roughly 7 miles (11 kilometers) deep."

There a reason why ocean depth exploring is not a great idea. 

Not to get all technical but that quote is 70 years old and wrong.

It's from a "famous" paper written in the 50's.

Of course none of that negates the conditions that make extreme underwater exploration very difficult. I'd say ocean exploring is good, but not a tourism industry quite yet.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, phart said:

Of course none of that negates the conditions that make extreme underwater exploration very difficult. I'd say ocean exploring is good, but not a tourism industry quite yet.

Correct, my grandad told me that when I was a boy.  And that wasn't yesterday !

18 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

We really have got no chance of embracing policies like the deposit return scheme when, as you say, so many folk cant even be arsed to stick a bit of paper in a bin. I  walk along Argyle st in the early morning and the streets are clean and tidy . Come late afternoon there is litter everywhere. Folk have no respect , though maybe bribing them with cash on returned items to keep the streets tidy is what some of the country actually needs .

Meanwhile, in Oslo … 
You could really put some Tory heads in a spin if they realised that DRS works and the lazy/work-shy/poor/homeless/immigrants (delete as appropriate) contribute to its success, and simultaneously help keep streets clean.

The ‘why don’t they get a job’ crew would be thoroughly confused by who they should take aim at next. 

F82A41B4-B37C-4BCE-8A3B-1C9DE0D5E46D.thumb.jpeg.cae530feb53e3c29e92a998f7e6b252c.jpeg

19 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

We really have got no chance of embracing policies like the deposit return scheme when, as you say, so many folk cant even be arsed to stick a bit of paper in a bin. I  walk along Argyle st in the early morning and the streets are clean and tidy . Come late afternoon there is litter everywhere. Folk have no respect , though maybe bribing them with cash on returned items to keep the streets tidy is what some of the country actually needs .

Not to be too unkind about it, but going by the nick of some people they don't appear to have much respect even for themselves, so what chance has a city street got?!

One of the few good things about lockdown was the streets in the city centre were virtually litter-free.  Glorious!

15 hours ago, Kirk said:

And it took them years to find the thing too 🤣

Certainly not how I'd be spending my billions if I ever have them

Me neither.  Having said that, despite their money I don't think I'd trade places with them just now.  🙁

58 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

Meanwhile, in Oslo … 
You could really put some Tory heads in a spin if they realised that DRS works and the lazy/work-shy/poor/homeless/immigrants (delete as appropriate) contribute to its success, and simultaneously help keep streets clean.

The ‘why don’t they get a job’ crew would be thoroughly confused by who they should take aim at next. 

F82A41B4-B37C-4BCE-8A3B-1C9DE0D5E46D.thumb.jpeg.cae530feb53e3c29e92a998f7e6b252c.jpeg

I tell you, the day the DRS goes live in England will be the last day it's mentioned by the press in Scotland.

8 hours ago, phart said:

It is not the moon or the depth of the ocean.  We cannot even look after our life here on earth as people. Wars for evil people where thousands and millions die for nothing.  So sad for the people that look as if it is too late.  But if I had billions I would be looking to help humanity.  My hero Burns said man to man the world over, shall brothers be for all that.  That was 300 years ago and it still hasn't happened.  

I am going up to Orkney in two weeks.  The Royal Oak went down in 1939.  My great uncle is still there.  It is a war grave.  I took my gran up there in 1999 for the 60th anniversary.  But getting a sub down to view it would be mental.  Why would anyone want to see that.

Just seen that on Sky News.  Poor buggers.  They wanted an adventure I suppose.  Like Mount Everest for some who died as well. Still a heart break for them and their families.  I read that one was at Glasgow University.  His pals will be devastated.

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

The mini sub has imploded at the bottom of the sea

All 5 persons dead

Only consolation is that it sounds like a mercifully quick death.  Doesn't bear thinking about being stuck in there with air gradually running out and knowing nobody's coming for you.  That'd be beyond your foulest nightmares.  Poor folk.  

9 hours ago, scotlad said:

I tell you, the day the DRS goes live in England will be the last day it's mentioned by the press in Scotland.

It will likely no longer be called the "controversial" deposit return scheme. Listening to the Scottish news I'm starting to think the acronym is CDRS.

9 hours ago, daviebee said:

Only consolation is that it sounds like a mercifully quick death.  Doesn't bear thinking about being stuck in there with air gradually running out and knowing nobody's coming for you.  That'd be beyond your foulest nightmares.  Poor folk.  

Agree and hope that is what happened.  I get the shudders even thinking about going down in one of those things.  I still can't imagine why anyone would do that in the first place but we are all different.  Maybe people will think twice now.

I think myth busters showed you what happens to something with a 1 atmosphere difference and how hard it implodes,crumples.

It's still 10 tons per square meter roughly at 1 atmosphere (what we experience), well not really ton as that's a unit of mass and not force but that seems to be how they explain it. 10 tons in earths gravity would produce roughly the same force.

Edited by phart

On 6/22/2023 at 8:50 AM, phart said:

Yes, a bit lazy of me really. Fascinating subject though in terms of exploration etc 

14 hours ago, Toepoke said:

It will likely no longer be called the "controversial" deposit return scheme. Listening to the Scottish news I'm starting to think the acronym is CDRS.

😂

I bet there's barely any fuss made about it by the media down there either, and the general population will just get on with it without it causing any great consternation at all.

Meanwhile, in Scotland, it's treated like the government are introducing conscription in preparation for World War 3.

1 hour ago, EddardStark said:

Yes, a bit lazy of me really. Fascinating subject though in terms of exploration etc 

Absolutely and to be fair it's probably not far off the mark.

It just gets brought up when you do planetary science topic. They've done a lot of research in these deep trenches for extremophiles (an organism that is able to live in extreme environments) to better aid the search for life elsehwere in the solar system like the Jupier moon missions that were just launched.

Analyzing the mistakes OceanGate made that led to the vessel’s disappearance, critics told reporters Thursday that the submersible should have been tested with poorer passengers first. “The company skipped the very crucial step of sending five lower-class people to the bottom of the ocean to make sure it was safe enough for the wealthy,” said Otto Scofield, a member of the Marine Technology Society, adding that no one with a net worth above $50,000 should have been in the submersible

https://www.theonion.com/also-i-shouldn-t-have-to-disclose-that-i-had-sex-with-1850566803

19 hours ago, SamP said:

Just seen that on Sky News.  Poor buggers.  They wanted an adventure I suppose.  Like Mount Everest for some who died as well. Still a heart break for them and their families.  I read that one was at Glasgow University.  His pals will be devastated.

Suleman Dawood was a student at Strathclyde University - Business school.

We had an e-mail from the Principal just a few minutes after BBC Scotland broke the story, but no one was saying much until after it was confirmed the sub was lost.

10 hours ago, phart said:

I think myth busters showed you what happens to something with a 1 atmosphere difference and how hard it implodes,crumples.

It's still 10 tons per square meter roughly at 1 atmosphere (what we experience), well not really ton as that's a unit of mass and not force but that seems to be how they explain it. 10 tons in earths gravity would produce roughly the same force.

Some clearly uninformed journalists were asking the US Coastguard about what they could do to recover the bodies. Not much left of people exposed to pressure like that.

2 hours ago, Lobey said:

Suleman Dawood was a student at Strathclyde University - Business school.

We had an e-mail from the Principal just a few minutes after BBC Scotland broke the story, but no one was saying much until after it was confirmed the sub was lost.

Went to Strathclyde University as well (a long time ago).  Feel sorry for the boy.

Actor Frederic Forrest passes away aged 86

Star of numerous movies including Apocalypse Now, The Rose, Music Box and The Conversation

Frederic Forrest, Apocalypse Now 1979 Directed By Francis Ford Coppola by

Frederic Forrest, 'The Rose,' Apocalypse Now,' star dies | thv11.com

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-66030635

Worth reading about the state of school buildings in England. 

"An estimated 700,000 children are being taught in unsafe or ageing school buildings in England that need major repairs, according to a report.

The National Audit Office (NAO) report says the Department for Education (DfE) has, since 2021, assessed the risk of injury or death from a school building collapse as "very likely and critical".

Teachers have told the BBC about risks posed by sewage leaks and asbestos."

Once more there is a clear difference between how stories like this are reported in England and Scotland. Just think how the media would cover this in Scotland, tabloid headlines for weeks on end attacking the SNP, the subject of every phone in and news bulletin, questions of the FM, demands that the Education minister resign etc. etc. Yet in England this will be hardly mentioned, let alone anyway calling out the fact that it is 13 years of Tory rule that this has happened under.