The news thread - Page 158 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actress and singer Jane Birkin passes away aged 76

Came to prominence/notoriety in the late 60s and was one of the most beautiful women in the World

Jane Birkin, 74, Is Still the Ultimate Beauty Icon | Vogue

25 Best Jane Birkin Style Moments - Jane Birkin Style Inspiration

70s Jane Birkin |

Jane Birkin, 1970 | Sonic Editions

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Actress and singer Jane Birkin passes away aged 76

Came to prominence/notoriety in the late 60s and was one of the most beautiful women in the World

Jane Birkin, 74, Is Still the Ultimate Beauty Icon | Vogue

25 Best Jane Birkin Style Moments - Jane Birkin Style Inspiration

70s Jane Birkin |

Jane Birkin, 1970 | Sonic Editions

Do you look up dead celebs every day?

10 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

The news thread, I started the thread so I should know

It's not the dead celeb thread 😆 

Should start a new thread and make sure you specify it's only for what you consider news ?

30 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Should start a new thread and make sure you specify it's only for what you consider news ?

😆 🤣 😂 

Edit - I'm out. Not worth the argument 

Edited by vanderark14

20 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Do you look up dead celebs every day?

There's a guy doon our pub whose, almost, sole topic of conversation is going around telling folk about who has died recently. Most of whom we've never even heard of, but "they were regulars 20 years ago". 🤣

We call him the Big Black Craw. 🤣

Don’t want to go full Greta Thunberg but is anybody else watching the News and thinking this is the beginning of the end, or will future generations with the technology that will be available to them just adapt to climate change. It’s not exactly a conspiracy to suggest our weather is changing rapidly (relatively) 

20 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Don’t want to go full Greta Thunberg but is anybody else watching the News and thinking this is the beginning of the end, or will future generations with the technology that will be available to them just adapt to climate change. It’s not exactly a conspiracy to suggest our weather is changing rapidly (relatively) 

The British Establishment are giving billions to each other whilst starving a chunk of the population at the same time

We have fucking no chance with regards climate change

They will still be doing the same whilst a large chunk of the population drowns ...and starves

8 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

The British Establishment are giving billions to each other whilst starving a chunk of the population at the same time

...I read too that the UK (i.e. London) is touting itself as a destination for AI corporations. So I think we can add a large percentage of the workforce  being 'automated out of a job' to this expanding chunk of the population.
(Incidentally, I wonder what the carbon footprint of the AI datacenters actually is? Haven't read much about that amongst the hype).

The future is not looking good in my opinion.

58 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Not really the end as such but we're going to have hundreds of millions of people mass migrating. The weather was being "suppressed" the last couple of years due to el nina, now el nino is in effect it is being boosted. There's folk thinking it is a hoax or solar activity.

There's loads of shit going on with it. My dinner is ready though so maybe type out more shit later

It is looking bad at the moment...

By the end of the week, it is likely that 15 days just this month will have breached an unprecedented global temperature threshold — a clarion wakeup call in the form of extreme weather.

Why it matters: Nearly every facet of the climate system is flashing red this summer, from record-low sea ice extent in Antarctica to hot tub-like ocean waters surrounding South Florida, and all-time high temperature records set in multiple countries on at least three continents.

Already this month, 14 days have recorded surface air temperatures greater than 17°C (62.6°F) — spikes that have not been seen for roughly 125,000 years.

• In fact, Wednesday marked the 17th straight day with global temperatures hotter than any prior days on record.

https://www.axios.com/2023/07/20/world-heat-wave-records-us-europe-china

Farage and Courts. I see that he has an apology from them but I remember the bank advertising on TV fairly recently (bizarrely) and the footer said you couldn't upon an account without a deposit of at least £1 million. Kind of exposes the 'Nige, man of the people' as the rubbish it always was.

24 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Farage and Courts. I see that he has an apology from them but I remember the bank advertising on TV fairly recently (bizarrely) and the footer said you couldn't upon an account without a deposit of at least £1 million. Kind of exposes the 'Nige, man of the people' as the rubbish it always was.

It’s a bit of an “I’m sorry if you’re offended” apology.  Hasn’t got his account back, hasn’t got any compensation, been offered an account with Nat West (which is what he was originally offered). 

As an aside, there used to be a branch of Coutts on Eton High Street years ago, used to use the cash machine to get money out occasionally. Same cash as any other one. 

Trevor Francis is a shocker

Note that the BBC are avoiding George Alaghia's belief that he would still be alive if he lived in Scotland

SNP Baaaaad