The news thread - Page 65 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

RIP to QE2. 70 years of public service. Certainly the end of an era for the monarchy as we know it. 

As someone who couldn’t give a toss about the monarchy, I agree. Charles isn’t likeable at all, he could kill a lot of support for it. 

18 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Sweepstake on whom the first former Scotland international to call for the upcoming internationals to be cancelled will be ?

A bet a green smartie and a red smartie on it being Sounness.

Which Scotland match was called off for Diana's funeral?

McCoist was quite vocal at the time, I believe.

I wasn't going then, but would be mightily pissed off now - what with flights and hotels paid for - if thousands of fans were inconvenienced for the funeral of someone none of us know.

Edited by Rich NATA

3 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

I wasn't going then, but would be mightily pissed off now - what with flights and hotels paid for - if thousands of fans were inconvenienced for the funeral of someone none of us know.

If I remember rightly it was McCoist, McCall & Durie that were most vocal.  I was on a lads holiday in Benidorm at the time and we were due back on the day of the game and the plan was we'd head straight out from the airport and end the holiday in style!  We were raging when we found out it had been postponed!

17 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

Scotland v Belarus @ Pittodrie, originally scheduled for the day of the funeral (Saturday 6th September). It was moved to the Sunday.

Edited by Barney Rubble

3 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Scotland v Belarus @ Pittodrie, originally scheduled for the day of the funeral (Saturday 6th September). It was moved to the Sunday.

I was at that game.  Had flights and hotel booked, thankfully the airline - Air UK - were really easy to deal with so we could change the return flights to Monday morning and got an extra night in a hotel, so no real issue.

At 3pm on the Saturday however, when the match should’ve been played, all the shops, bars and restaurants were open.

I have it on very good authority that Blatter completely shafted Farry over that.   Farry tried to get the match postponed until the next day, Blatter refused to countenance it and threatened Farry if he called it off.   Then the shit hit the fan in the press, Blatter did a 180 and blamed Farry.  Farry was stupid and didn’t get the original stuff from Blatter in writing, he was going to resign if he was forced to go ahead. 

Ffs. Some reporter on C4 saying perhaps she wanted to die in Scotland to help renew the bonds of the union. That has to be the lowest of the low  .

I am not a royalist but it is sad news . There is no doubting what a hard working and dedicated woman she was. The loss of her husband would be a heavy blow to her already frail health. 

21 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

The medal round was cancelled at hazlehead that day,but my pals and I went ahead and played it ,it was what she would have wanted,plus the todders game got cancelled

20 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Ffs. Some reporter on C4 saying perhaps she wanted to die in Scotland to help renew the bonds of the union. That has to be the lowest of the low  .

I am not a royalist but it is sad news . There is no doubting what a hard working and dedicated woman she was. The loss of her husband would be a heavy blow to her already frail health. 

I believe it was the cunt that is James Matthews

19 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

That was Matt Frei of all people.

He certainly lowered his normally high standards with that observation.

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Sweepstake on whom the first former Scotland international to call for the upcoming internationals to be cancelled will be ?

A bet a green smartie and a red smartie on it being Sounness.

Looking like the funeral will be Monday 19th so there shouldn't be any issues with the Scotland games.

Personally I hope the Ayr Gold Cup still goes ahead, she did love the gigis I'm sure she'd approve.

2 hours ago, Newryrep said:

They better not shift the Scotland Ireland game - I have already lost 2 flights with the shift Fri to sat 

Rumours that this weekend's games are going to be postponed - that's bad enough!

It's the end of an era and a sad day for her family but why should everything else be put on hold, especially after all the disruptions we've had to put with these past couple of years? Life goes on.

The games should go ahead, there should be a minute's silence beforehand and that should be it until the day of the funeral.