The news thread - Page 69 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

i suspect that the Queens death and subsequent reflection will strengthen the Union.

Which Union ? Crowns or Parliament ?

A COLD-HEARTED turncoat has consumed a slice of toast with Lurpak instead of remaining in front of the TV for updates about the Queen.

Disgrace to his country Tom Logan claimed to be ‘really peckish’ and spent almost four minutes grilling bread, showing a callous disregard for the wellbeing of the mother of his nation.

Partner Nikki Hollis said: “I’ve seen a very ugly side to Tom. Instead of sitting transfixed in front of rolling news he was gallivanting about in the kitchen without a care in the world.

“He’s not just a quisling who hates his country, he’s a psychopath. He sat there munching on toast rather than giving 100 per cent undivided attention to Huw Edwards repeating what he’d just said two minutes ago.

“I can’t continue living with a vile monster worse than Hitler. He’s dumped and homeless. Also, is there a number for reporting treason? I think MI5 should know.”

Logan is currently back in front of BBC1 but not before disrespecting the Queen again, this time by going to the toilet instead of holding it in.

10 hours ago, Malcolm said:

i suspect that the Queens death and subsequent reflection will strengthen the Union.

Respect for the Queen may well fortify those who support the Union, in the short term as others have said.

But I think in the coming days and weeks people may question the vast wealth and privilege and power accorded to the monarchy. We have already seen Charles unilaterally impost a Prince of Wales without reference to anyone in Wales. The vast and autocratic Duchy of Cornwall will pass to Charles' eldest son without reference to the people of Cornwall. Some say the royals won't pay any inheritance tax (?). Surely people will question the basis for the way the UK is run more than ever before. In that space, the arguments for independence will be heard afresh with a new perspective - a new start for Scotland, beyond party politics.

39 minutes ago, exile said:

Respect for the Queen may well fortify those who support the Union, in the short term as others have said.

But I think in the coming days and weeks people may question the vast wealth and privilege and power accorded to the monarchy. We have already seen Charles unilaterally impost a Prince of Wales without reference to anyone in Wales. The vast and autocratic Duchy of Cornwall will pass to Charles' eldest son without reference to the people of Cornwall. Some say the royals won't pay any inheritance tax (?). Surely people will question the basis for the way the UK is run more than ever before. In that space, the arguments for independence will be heard afresh with a new perspective - a new start for Scotland, beyond party politics.

Well I do think unionists will try to use this (again) as they did in 2014 claiming a Yes vote will mean forfeiting the Royal Family. That would suit me but it is another blatant lie pedalled by unionists. In fact the Queen herself had to come out and rubbish that rumour in 2014 but it won't stop unionists playing the same card again. As far as they are concerned the gullible can and will be duped and that is all that matters to them. A bit of common sense would tell people different as look at all of the Commonwealth countries (independent ones) who still have the Queen (well King now) as their monarch.

50 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well I do think unionists will try to use this (again) as they did in 2014 claiming a Yes vote will mean forfeiting the Royal Family. That would suit me but it is another blatant lie pedalled by unionists. In fact the Queen herself had to come out and rubbish that rumour in 2014 but it won't stop unionists playing the same card again. As far as they are concerned the gullible can and will be duped and that is all that matters to them. A bit of common sense would tell people different as look at all of the Commonwealth countries (independent ones) who still have the Queen (well King now) as their monarch.

True, in 2014, the royal family was a comforting symbol of stability (like the pound and the EU) but things are different now. I do think there is and will be renewed scrutiny of the monarchy, do we really wish to perpetuate an iniquitous feudal system? For left leaning people in particular, who maybe don't like the SNP, but will they see that independence could offer a fresh start?  The best chance of becoming a republic - in England or Scotland - is via the breakup of the UK.

I don't think it's so much about people being gullible or duped, but just about seeing the question in a new light. Labour unionist types insist the constitution is a distraction from ordinary people's hardships (and there is something in that), but now they have to justify actively endorsing British monarchism as well as Brexit and propping up Tory rule.

Just watching that Accession ceremony - since I’ve never seen one - and interestingly it laid bare the constitutional make up of the UK, that Scotland is a separate country, part of a Union.  Draws a coach and horses through those who think “the UK is a country”.  Unions of course can be dissolved.

The other thought is “how the fuck did half of these people get into the Privy Council”, even Pishy Pants Foulkes was there.

41 minutes ago, exile said:

True, in 2014, the royal family was a comforting symbol of stability (like the pound and the EU) but things are different now. I do think there is and will be renewed scrutiny of the monarchy, do we really wish to perpetuate an iniquitous feudal system? For left leaning people in particular, who maybe don't like the SNP, but will they see that independence could offer a fresh start?  The best chance of becoming a republic - in England or Scotland - is via the breakup of the UK.

I don't think it's so much about people being gullible or duped, but just about seeing the question in a new light. Labour unionist types insist the constitution is a distraction from ordinary people's hardships (and there is something in that), but now they have to justify actively endorsing British monarchism as well as Brexit and propping up Tory rule.

When I say duped and gullible taken in I speak of those who will just take the unionist lies as verbatim.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

17 hours ago, exile said:

Every time I see "sombre" now I'll be thinking "Sombrero"!

I was watching House of Dragons last night and there was a bit ( no spoiler) where the King was in a forest with all his men and was approaching a stag he had to kill. Subtitles came up saying ‘ sombre music playing’ and all I could think of was the kingsmen whipping out maracas and blasting out La Bamba . I could not take the scene serious at all. 

2 hours ago, aaid said:

Just watching that Accession ceremony - since I’ve never seen one - and interestingly it laid bare the constitutional make up of the UK, that Scotland is a separate country, part of a Union.  Draws a coach and horses through those who think “the UK is a country”.  Unions of course can be dissolved.

The other thought is “how the fuck did half of these people get into the Privy Council”, even Pishy Pants Foulkes was there.

A historic ceremony that will be most remembered for a servant getting his jotters...

7 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

How long does the depressing music last on the radio ? Its my last bastion but if I hear another Craig David song I will joining the Queen in the afterlife. 

Get sunny govan radio on.

103.5 no phukks are being given.

Carrying on in it's usual chaotic self 

15 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

How long does the depressing music last on the radio ? Its my last bastion but if I hear another Craig David song I will joining the Queen in the afterlife. 

BBC radio has been a fucking outrage

All channels switched to Radio 4 for 24-36 hours then when they decided that was enough the other channels came back but with amended schedules

Radio 4 Extra can be really good - Horror/ghost stories, Sci-Fi, comedy and thrillers

But fuck that

Yesterday and today it has been most of the day with June Whitfield as Miss Marple

Today they have added radio episodes of To The Manor Born and some shite with Thora Hird to go along with it

Woe betide anyone should be laughing or listening to scary stories

Establishment cunts

5 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

TBF 6 Music's been superb, well chilled, I'd listen to it all the time if it was always like that 👍

It's really easy to get away from it if you want to.

If you want to be offended by the level of coverage, knock yourself out and watch BBC1

On 9/9/2022 at 2:10 PM, Fairbairn said:

Just put an "ro" on the end of it and it'll seem much happier! Arriba!!

Haha! That’s brilliant!

Unfortunately I haven’t been able to put it into practice yet as I’ve sacked cooncil telly to rattle through 2 seasons of Snowfall (also on your recommendation). 
You’re actually quite a useful chap on here FB!

Chapeau 😀