Scotland squad. - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland squad.

ceudmilefailte

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Has anyone considered the monstrous level of disappointment if we don't win the Serbia game. 

As in , life as a Scot ? 
I believe this game has not just monstrous levels of disappointment for us. I believe victory for Scotland in this game may be the butterfly flap to save the future of humankind. 
no pressure then , then . 

1 hour ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

We play 2 holding midfielders in Jack and McGregor, our only cover for them is McLean who isn’t playing for Norwich or McTominay whose playing at centre back. Why not call up Shinnie to directly replace Fleck.

We could also do with someone to cover Fraser and Christie. Could have had Gauld, Morgan or Dembele. 

Shinnie has had his chance to show what he could do for Scotland. And he made a complete arse of it.

Gauld and Morgan can't be called up because of COVID.

There is nothing at all to indicate that that Dembele has the slightest inclination to play for Scotland. If you can prove me wrong on that last one then please do so.

23 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Shinnie has had his chance to show what he could do for Scotland. And he made a complete arse of it.

Gauld and Morgan can't be called up because of COVID.

There is nothing at all to indicate that that Dembele has the slightest inclination to play for Scotland. If you can prove me wrong on that last one then please do so.

Why could Gauld not be called up?

As far as I’m aware the SFA are being nice to Inter Miami by not picking Morgan. A whole load of MLS players were called up by international teams last break. Including an Inter Miami Mexican playing games in Europe. 

Dembele hasn’t chosen his international team. Why would he not have an inclination for Scotland...he was brought up here. 

And yeah Shinnie only deserves to be called up when we’re a little short. I’d say we are here with Fleck out, McTominay playing centre back and McLean short on minutes.

Edited by Super_Scotlandfan

1 minute ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Why could Gauld not be called up?

As far as I’m aware the SFA are being nice to Inter Miami by not picking Morgan. A whole load of MLS players were called up by international teams last break. Including an Inter Miami Mexican playing games in Europe. 

Dembele hasn’t chosen his international team. Why would he not have an inclination for Scotland...he was brought up here. 

For the moment, Clarke may prefer to pick players for the senior team based only in Scotland and England. He may not want the hassle of players jetting in the USA whilst COVID is on and the virus is thriving in the USA.

It shouldn't just be taken for granted that Dembele wants to play for us.

There has been unconfirmed talk that Dembele wants to play for the Ivory Coast. Find a quote where Dembele says he is at least interested in playing for Scotland.

Remember, Dominic Matteo was born in Scotland and never truly ever wanted to play for us. 

13 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

For the moment, Clarke may prefer to pick players for the senior team based only in Scotland and England. He may not want the hassle of players jetting in the USA whilst COVID is on and the virus is thriving in the USA.

There has been unconfirmed talk that Dembele wants to play for the Ivory Coast. Find a quote where Dembele says he is at least interested in playing for Scotland.

Remember, Dominic Matteo was born in Scotland and never truly ever wanted to play for us. 

More drivel fae you

2 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Clarke loves consistency so the team will almost certainly be:

Marshall

Robertson

Tierney

Gallagher

McTominay

O’Donnell

Jack

McGregor

McGinn

Fraser 

Dykes

I agree with almost everyone but would make a couple of changes. 

Thought the squad looks a bit lop sided towards central forwards and defenders. 

As far as I am aware he’s replaced (from the original squad last month) Porteous with Hanley, no one for Fleck and added a centre back in Considine and Griffiths.

So an additional centre back and an additional forward but one less midfielder...

We play 2 holding midfielders in Jack and McGregor, our only cover for them is McLean who isn’t playing for Norwich or McTominay whose playing at centre back. Why not call up Shinnie to directly replace Fleck.

We could also do with someone to cover Fraser and Christie. Could have had Gauld, Morgan or Dembele. 

Patterson and Shankland plus Griffiths, McBurnie and Dykes is a bit much for me. Would have been nice to see some creative options on the bench. 

I'm surprised Patterson is still there. In his recent brief appearances he's looked a bit donkey like to me.

Could have got another option in the squad ahead of him IMO.

32 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I agree.

If Dembele had an ounce of interest in playing for Scotland we'd have heard about it now. Especially, at a a time when we could be on our way to a major tournament in just over a weeks' time (fingers crossed).

5 hours ago, Duncan Blackheart said:

Keen to see Dykes - Griffiths up top at some point, although Fraser probably starts for me. He did well last time out, so would send the right message to the squad.

In the same hypocritical breath, I’d expect to see Robertson back in for Considine and probably Tierney in (for O’Donnell!), although some have suggested Armstrong might take that role on the right. Not sure about that. 

I thought we might see Nisbet over Shankland, but can see the value in continuity.

Hanley. Er, go on son, prove me wrong. I suppose the Serbs will be pretty physical.

Dusan Tadic has missed the Ajax game tonight following a positive test for Covid. I don’t think he’s is necessarily better than what we’ve got, but it could help. More worried about Milinković-Savić.

Anyway, the manager’s won seven or whatever on the bounce - happy to trust him. 

‘mon!

He scored about an hour ago

I can't ever remember having such a dilemma picking a team. Almost every position is up for debate. Even circa 2007, the first 11-14 players picked themselves. 

Based on how many CBs have been selected, I wonder if McTominay will play in midfield. Personally, I'd prefer him there ahead of McGregor, but I really can't see Clarke dropping him.

We are spoiled for choice. I honestly couldn't strongly argue against any of our CBs starting. This is the strongest squad we've had in a very long time. 

12 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I can't ever remember having such a dilemma picking a team. Almost every position is up for debate. Even circa 2007, the first 11-14 players picked themselves. 

Based on how many CBs have been selected, I wonder if McTominay will play in midfield. Personally, I'd prefer him there ahead of McGregor, but I really can't see Clarke dropping him.

We are spoiled for choice. I honestly couldn't strongly argue against any of our CBs starting. This is the strongest squad we've had in a very long time. 

Yeah we could potentially have Gordon, Christie, Griffiths, McKenna and Cooper all on the bench. 

I think the team will be....

marshall

O’Donnell.   Mctominay Gallagher tierney.   Robertson

Jack.        Mcgregor

Mcginn

Dykes.      Fraser

only possible changes to that I see are tierney being put at right back with cooper in at left centre half, or cooper replacing gallagher, but I suspect Clarke might want Gallagher to deal with their big lad (forget his name).  Mcgregors place might be under threat but I think Clarke likes consistency of selection.  He also has to create a feeling of players selection being secure if they perform and win.

On 11/3/2020 at 2:17 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

The painters and decorators have visited the forum yet again I see.

Not a fan of Hanley but if he gets on the park and plays well then I promise I'll be the first to hold my hands up.

Griffiths is back ! Can he and Lyndon Dykes or Oli McBurnie form a good partnership ?

I don't get the stick Hanley gets.  Hanley walks into the Aberdeen and Motherwell teams.  I'm not sure all our other centre-backs walk into the Norwich team.  

Also worth noting that Robertson is the only outfield player in the squad with more caps than Hanley.  

6 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I don't get the stick Hanley gets.  Hanley walks into the Aberdeen and Motherwell teams.  I'm not sure all our other centre-backs walk into the Norwich team.  

Also worth noting that Robertson is the only outfield player in the squad with more caps than Hanley.  

Alot of ppl remember him making loads of mistakes early in his career when we were a shambles of a team under Levein. What they don't consider is the fact Hanley was still quite young and inexperienced plus we were terrible. We expected Hanley to develop into a good centre back just because he had made some epl appearances with Blackburn and he captained them quite young when they were in the championship.

Hanley probably isn't worse than gallagher or considine and deserves another chance to prove himself in the new system that has made those guys look like good defenders. 

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

Exactly...Hanley would be Motherwells best defender by a huge distance 

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

But we are not talking about who would walk into who's club. That's a stupid, pointless discussion for eight year olds.

OK Hanley is in the squad, I wouldn't have picked him but good luck to him. Declan Gallagher fully deserves to keep his place however. He's done absolutely nothing to deserve being dropped.

And your point about caps is ?

Many national teams past and present have had to be reconstructed using new players or others who have been irregular caps. We have coped alright in the last few games without needing many experienced internationals. 

Players should be called up according to our needs. Not because they have X amount of caps. 

5 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Agreed I always quite liked him, made a few mistakes but we were shite and he was young too. Was always good for winning the ball in the air and letting Martin do the work on the ground. No problem with him being in for me

On 11/3/2020 at 6:40 PM, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Patterson and Shankland plus Griffiths, McBurnie and Dykes is a bit much for me. Would have been nice to see some creative options on the bench. 

Clarke has picked a 27 man squad. If he fancied Shinnie he’d have called him up. He wouldn’t offer anything extra to the squad for me. 

Having extra striking options may well come in handy over the three games.