Scotland squad. - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland squad.

ceudmilefailte

14 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Andy Robertson would be East Fife's best player

John McGinn would be Falkirk's best player

Scott McTominay would be Arbroath's best player 

Were exactly does such a pointless primary school discussion get us ?

How many East Fife, Falkirk and Arbroath players are in the squad? 🤣

The point is, Hanley is a better centre-back than some of the others in the squad.  He has more experience at a higher level (both English Premier League and International) than all our other recognised centre-backs.  

He probably won't play against Serbia, but he is a much better player than he is credited for by many Scotland fans.  He is comfortably a bottom half EPL / top half Championship player.  

20 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

I don't get the stick Hanley gets.  Hanley walks into the Aberdeen and Motherwell teams.  I'm not sure all our other centre-backs walk into the Norwich team.  

Also worth noting that Robertson is the only outfield player in the squad with more caps than Hanley.  

Hanley would definitely play for Hibs, Motherwell and Aberdeen, who have had players in the last squads recently.

However, that means nothing.

Hanley looks like a donkey, with three legs, on an ice rink when he plays for Scotland, he may have many caps, but he has been shit in the vast overwhelming majority of them. Gallagher and Considine have looked good for Scotland in their limited games.

Based on club form, McFadden should have been a bit part player for Scotland at most, and probably didnt deserve to be in the squads most times, if being strict. But, when he played for Scotland, he went up about 5 levels. Hanley isnt even the opposite, he doesnt look adequate at club level, but gets worse for Scotland.

Tried, tested, failed. Thats Hanley for IMO.

The TAMB really comes over as a bunch of snowflakes, always wanting the last word and to be right.   Honestly, I am assuming many are a bunch of 14 year old's because grown men don't act this way.   This can't be a reflection of Scottish people or Scottish supporters these days is it?  

30 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Why are you always so madly keen to boot the Celtic players out of the team ? :wtf:

cos they aren’t playing very well?  I wouldn’t be unhappy with mcgregor playing.  Christie on the bench as sub for Fraser.

im not anti Celtic players... just think there are better players in each position at the moment.

20 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

cos they aren’t playing very well?  I wouldn’t be unhappy with mcgregor playing.  Christie on the bench as sub for Fraser.

im not anti Celtic players... just think there are better players in each position at the moment.

Glad we aren’t going into this play-off reliant on Celtic players like we used to be. 

Edited by bigfingers

3 hours ago, Malcolm said:

So long story short, Paul McStay, John Collins and Tom Boyd would have got about fifteen caps between them had it been up to you ?

I've grown to like McGregor. Someone said (I think it was ElChris) that he was better under Rodgers. I can believe it.

Look at McTominay under OGS, he perpetually passes back or sideways and is not progressive, in the least. That's the role OGS wants him to play. McGregor, when playing in the double-pivot, is exactly the same.

McGregor is an attacking midfielder. Same with McGinn, Fraser, Forrest, Christie.

It's a shame we don't have any anchormen. Apart from Jack, I can't see anyone else. McCrorie, maybe. McTominay, to me, is best as a box-to-box midfielder. He's dynamic and he's deceptively pacy and good at dribbling.

In general, I would've called up Graeme Shinnie, Ryan Gauld and Liam Henderson... Maybe Jay Fulton, too.

Edited by Taylor1996

5 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

I've grown to like McGregor. Someone said (I think it was ElChris) that he was better under Rodgers. I can believe it.

Look at McTominay under OGS, he perpetually passes back or sideways and is not progressive, in the least. That's the role OGS wants him to play. McGregor, when playing in the double-pivot, is exactly the same.

McGregor is an attacking midfielder. Same with McGinn, Fraser, Forrest, Christie.

It's a shame we don't have any anchormen. Apart from Jack, I can't see anyone else. McTominay, to me, is best as a box-to-box midfielder.

In general, I would've called up Graeme Shinnie, Ryan Gauld and Liam Henderson... Maybe Jay Fulton, too.

So you no longer want the entire U19 squad transplanted to the senior squad anymore ?

Shinnie and Fulton ......

Liverpool FC news: Jurgen Klopp laughs off claim he dreamed of managing  Manchester United – talkSPORT

31 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

So you no longer want the entire U19 squad transplanted to the senior squad anymore ?

Shinnie and Fulton ......

Liverpool FC news: Jurgen Klopp laughs off claim he dreamed of managing  Manchester United – talkSPORT

I said that when we were playing 4-2-3-1

And yes, the u19s are more suited at playing with a four than the full team. Why do you think we're playing with a three? Oh wait... "We haven't got two good center backs, never mind three"...........

Now we're doing this my way, and being all the better for it.

You're welcome.

Fulton who is a mainstay in a midfield who are 2nd in the Championship and Shinnie who is propping up a shambolic Derby team?

Yes.

Certainly beats McLean, who is warming the bench at Norwich.

9 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

So long story short, Paul McStay, John Collins and Tom Boyd would have got about fifteen caps between them had it been up to you ?

nah, that’s way too many 😊

only kidding...   always liked John Collins...  might make it in to my top Scotland team in my living memory.  Paul mcstay, yeah, he was decent.  Over rated by many Celtic fans in my view.  Would have liked to see him challenge himself at a higher level.  Tom Boyd, solid journeyman.

On 11/6/2020 at 2:56 AM, Taylor1996 said:

I said that when we were playing 4-2-3-1

And yes, the u19s are more suited at playing with a four than the full team. Why do you think we're playing with a three? Oh wait... "We haven't got two good center backs, never mind three"...........

Now we're doing this my way, and being all the better for it.

You're welcome.

Fulton who is a mainstay in a midfield who are 2nd in the Championship and Shinnie who is propping up a shambolic Derby team?

Yes.

Certainly beats McLean, who is warming the bench at Norwich.

Fulton plays for Swansea no? They are not second last time I checked.

On 11/5/2020 at 9:21 PM, Malcolm said:

I wouldn’t think that Clarke will do this but I would be tempted to move mctominay in to centre mid alongside jack and play Hanley.  

Whit?... The reason McTominay is in the back 3 is because of his ability passing the ball out of defence.. Hanley treats it like a hot potato!

On 11/4/2020 at 4:46 PM, PASTA Mick said:

I don't get the stick Hanley gets.  Hanley walks into the Aberdeen and Motherwell teams.  I'm not sure all our other centre-backs walk into the Norwich team.  

Also worth noting that Robertson is the only outfield player in the squad with more caps than Hanley.  

Hanley would walk into the Celtic team, going by Duffys inclusion so would any of the other CBs 👍

29 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

Hanley would walk into the Celtic team, going by Duffys inclusion so would any of the other CBs 👍

Hanley certainly deserves a chance to prove himself under Clarke. Sadly missing this set of internationals might mean he will not be selected for the euros should we make it. 

Not too fussed about Hanley, but disappointing to hear about Fraser being out - he was a standout in last month's games.

I really don't understand why he didn't call Gauld up. He seems to be bang in form with Farense of late, and it would be a bit of a unknown option to throw on either on Thursday or the NL games.