Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 213 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

19 hours ago, Rohan said:

David Bates played his second game for Cercle Brugge last night playing the full game and kept a clean sheet. Next week Brugge derby

18 hours ago, Rohan said:

Jack Hendry also played the full match for oostende who won 3-1

I know I bore people with whoscored ratings but they both posted ratings over 7 this week which to me, based on what we know about these two players, means the Belgian League must be pretty poor.

Good luck to them both but I wouldn't read very much into them starting games unless they become stand out defenders in the league.

Actually after checking Hendry was well over 7 in his first game maybe there's hope for him yet.

4 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I know I bore people with whoscored ratings but they both posted ratings over 7 this week which to me, based on what we know about these two players, means the Belgian League must be pretty poor.

Good luck to them both but I wouldn't read very much into them starting games unless they become stand out defenders in the league.

Actually after checking Hendry was well over 7 in his first game maybe there's hope for him yet.

I actually checked out whoscored, for the first time, a few minutes ago. Are you sure it's a good site? I searched Fraser Hornby and it said that his current club is Kortrijk.

I've used SofaScore for years. It's my go-to for stats, etc.

And statistics are important with any sport. I doubt that it bores anyone.

16 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Its good til see them getting gametime at a meaningful level. Belgian football might be quite poor but David bates is only 23 so he might still progress into a decent centre back. Jack hendry became the whipping boy at celtic and its nice to see him get some confidence back. Can't see either becoming brilliant centre backs but it's at least a positive sign that they are playing. 

5 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Its good til see them getting gametime at a meaningful level. Belgian football might be quite poor but David bates is only 23 so he might still progress into a decent centre back. Jack hendry became the whipping boy at celtic and its nice to see him get some confidence back. Can't see either becoming brilliant centre backs but it's at least a positive sign that they are playing. 

The SPL is definitely no better than the Belgian league.

The Belgium top league is "quite poor? Dear God!

Yes. The national league of the number 1 national team in the world is "quite poor". Yes. All those "quite poor" players the Belgiums produce. Poor sods.

Someone said that the SPL floats between English league 2 and English Championship. That's correct. The Belgium top division is a solid English Championship league.

It's far better than the SPL.

29 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

I actually checked out whoscored, for the first time, a few minutes ago. Are you sure it's a good site? I searched Fraser Hornby and it said that his current club is Kortrijk.

I've used SofaScore for years. It's my go-to for stats, etc.

And statistics are important with any sport. I doubt that it bores anyone.

Might not be the best site but it is consistent, unbiased and compares like for like so I respect it.

Also like to check individual teams forums but fans are very biased towards their favourites. A dozen saying a player is brilliant and another dozen waiting to say he is rubbish. We do it on here all the time.

2 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Might not be the best site but it is consistent, unbiased and compares like for like so I respect it.

Also like to check individual teams forums but fans are very biased towards their favourites. A dozen saying a player is brilliant and another dozen waiting to say he is rubbish. We do it on here all the time.

Try SofaScore. All of the gambling sites use it to get their data and odds, etc, so it's very accurate.

Yeah. I regularly do the same.

39 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh I would agree, both leagues are quite poor compared to the top leagues in Europe.

Very hard to compare leagues, but based on the usual stats site the Belgian league is far more competitive with the better players spread amongst more teams.

Celtic and Rangers both have an average of over 65% possession so far this season, that's just crazy.

Guess if our clubs meet any Belgian ones in Europe we can make aa better judgement.

7 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

They both use the data source. They have different rating systems. 

And betting sites don’t use SofaScore/WhoScored to compile odds. 

Apparently not, as according to whoscored Fraser Hornby is still on loan with the club he was with last season.

Well, you might have to chat with the Coral chat operator who told me that they use it to double check a final result whenever there's a delay in payout.

Also, go to SofaScore, click on an event. On the "details" page you'll see the Bet365 odds. Do you think Bet365 just allow SofaScore to use their official odds out of the goodness of their hearts?

20 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Also, go to SofaScore, click on an event. On the "details" page you'll see the Bet365 odds. Do you think Bet365 just allow SofaScore to use their official odds out of the goodness of their hearts?

Free advertising to a mass of football fans?

Who Scored do claim that bookmakers use their stats to compile odds.

3 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

The Belgium top league is "quite poor? Dear God!

Yes. The national league of the number 1 national team in the world is "quite poor". Yes. All those "quite poor" players the Belgiums produce. Poor sods.

Someone said that the SPL floats between English league 2 and English Championship. That's correct. The Belgium top division is a solid English Championship league.

It's far better than the SPL.

The belgian league is probably on a par or slightly better than SPL

Number one on shitey rankings only, and most of their players wont spend much time if any in that league.

2 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Apparently not, as according to whoscored Fraser Hornby is still on loan with the club he was with last season.

Well, you might have to chat with the Coral chat operator who told me that they use it to double check a final result whenever there's a delay in payout.

Checking a score is not using stats to compile odds.

Loads of football sites have betting odds attached.

17 hours ago, Kirk said:

Number one on shitey rankings only, and most of their players wont spend much time if any in that league.

I've seen as much football from the Begium top league as I have from the SPL. The ProLeague is a lot better. Another difference is that in Belgium they think nothing of playing their youngsters. Managers in Scotland cant do that, as the league is too small and it's a case of a must win for all matches. They can't rely on kids who might make mistakes, so they keep playing seasons professionals... Who do make mistakes 

18 hours ago, Kirk said:

They also told me that they have a deeper link. I didn't really care to ask to the details. I'm assuming that it's more than merely checking scores, though.

18 hours ago, Kirk said:

Belgium national team are no. 1 in the fifa rankings but that doesn't mean much when it comes to their national league. As you said the league is probably on a par or slightly better than the spl. Not sure if the guy is trolling or he just doesn't realise this.

Well, Gallagher sent off for Motherwell, who lost 2:0. Aberdeen losing 1:0 to a Covid hit Sporting Lisbon.

And people are surprised when Scotland struggles against teams like Cyprus and Greece.

No probably Scottish clubs left in Europe tonight. Damn it! (Hopefully Aberdeen come back to win. And no, Celtic and Rangers don't qualify as Scottish. They're as Scottish as Cardiff and Swansea are English)

Motherwell, Celtic and Aberdeen fielded 14 Scottish players.*

Celtic labour against a Latvian team, scoring in the final minute. Motherwell got crushed by an Israeli team and Aberdeen are losing to a Portuguese team completely ravaged by the pandemic.

And yet Steve Clarke is lambasted for being a terrible and clueless manager. If three of the best teams in Scotland lose to a team from Israel, labour against a team from Latvia and lose to a Portuguese reserve team, what chance has Clarke got?

*Scott Brown has retired.

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

Well, Gallagher sent off for Motherwell, who lost 2:0. Aberdeen losing 1:0 to a Covid hit Sporting Lisbon.

And people are surprised when Scotland struggles against teams like Cyprus and Greece.

No probably Scottish clubs left in Europe tonight. Damn it! (Hopefully Aberdeen come back to win. And no, Celtic and Rangers don't qualify as Scottish. They're as Scottish as Cardiff and Swansea are English)

do Liverpool count as an English club?  Just wondering.....