Scottish player transfers - Page 231 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

30 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Alexander Smith 15 year old Rangers midfielder is apparently on his way to Arsenal 6 figure fee, apparently got 4 MOM in 6 matches in an international tournament for age. 

How many of these moves actually work out? Apart from Gilmour, I cannot think of another 15/16 year old who went from an SPL club to England and became successful. 

13 hours ago, syecosse said:

Alexander Smith 15 year old Rangers midfielder is apparently on his way to Arsenal 6 figure fee, apparently got 4 MOM in 6 matches in an international tournament for age. 

Apparently duel nationality with US and appeared for them at U-15 level 

19 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

How many of these moves actually work out? Apart from Gilmour, I cannot think of another 15/16 year old who went from an SPL club to England and became successful. 

I would say at the current scale it's a relatively new phenomenon. There have always been kids who moved down south of course, but the active scouting and signing of kids in the 15-17yo age bracket by the biggest EPL clubs is pretty new and the signing of kids on their first professional contract of any type is definitely new. I first really became aware of it with Gilmour 5 or so years ago. Arguably Gilmour and Hickey are the two successes so far, with Hickey obviously different having played professionally before he left. Most of the high profile transfers I can think of are 20 and under so it's probably too early to say if this has been advantageous or not to our youth development aims at a national level. Looking at our youth squads we should start to see a number of these break through soon though if they are good enough. Some to look out for in my opinion (some more obvious than others)

• U21: Doak, Mebude, Bowie, Ure, Morrison, Kerr Smith
  • U19: Rory Wilson, Gabe Forsyth, Ethan Laidlaw, Charlie McArthur, Ryan One, Dylan Reid
  • U17: Lewis Pirie, Aidan Borland 

21 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

To be fair, I can't think of many players who stayed at SPL clubs becoming successful either.

Who was the young guy with the wacky name that went from Aberdeen to Ibrox? Haven't seen him appear in any of the lower age squads.  (I'd obviously recognise the name if I saw it!)  He was meant to be a superstar in the making.

Heard the other day as well that Liverpool are supposed to be in for Frimpong.  Not sure where that'd leave Calvin Ramsay considering there's a N Irish guy the same age already getting first team games there at right-back.

5 hours ago, daviebee said:

Who was the young guy with the wacky name that went from Aberdeen to Ibrox? Haven't seen him appear in any of the lower age squads.  (I'd obviously recognise the name if I saw it!)  He was meant to be a superstar in the making.

Heard the other day as well that Liverpool are supposed to be in for Frimpong.  Not sure where that'd leave Calvin Ramsay considering there's a N Irish guy the same age already getting first team games there at right-back.

Ramsay isn't even starting in league 1 with Bolton currently, he really needs a run of games to build confidence. 

10 hours ago, daviebee said:

Lancelot Pollard? Had a check and he’s apparently left Rangers for Sparta Rotterdam. 

18 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Ramsay isn't even starting in league 1 with Bolton currently, he really needs a run of games to build confidence. 

Hindsight's a wonderful thing, but he would've been better staying at Aberdeen for another couple of years.  Hope he doesn't just disappear into the lower leagues.

10 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Rumours on a Rangers forum from a seemingly reliable source that Man Utd want to buy Nathan Patterson. 

That would be a surprise as I'd have thought they'd be setting their sights higher. Maybe he'll develop into a really good player but he's 22 which isn't THAT young for his position. 

BBC reporting that Bayern Munich want Robertson. Klopp is leaving and Robertson is going to turn 30 soon so it might be the time to move.

2 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

That would be a surprise as I'd have thought they'd be setting their sights higher. Maybe he'll develop into a really good player but he's 22 which isn't THAT young for his position. 

BBC reporting that Bayern Munich want Robertson. Klopp is leaving and Robertson is going to turn 30 soon so it might be the time to move.

Not surprised he's been linked with Bayern Munich, especially with Alphonso Davies looking very likely is going to Real Madrid 

Edited by DesiScotsman