The Brexit Thread - Page 163 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

40 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

The level of devotion towards the EU in the context of Scottish independence is actually quite sad. 

Sad that people realise how Scotland's economy would suffer with the loss of umpteen preferential trade deals throughout Europe and the World ?

Sad is not knowing your history and how England did this to Scotland before

Sad is not knowing we only eradicated slums after we joined the EU and how good it has been for Scotland

That's the level of devotion - everyone knows it has it's bad points

Edited by Ally Bongo

Talk that the SNP could be prepared to help the Tories get a bill through to call an early election.

While they’d almost certainly gain seats with an election in the next few weeks, is it worth the risk of being seen to assist the Tories - if they want to call an election they must think they’ll benefit from it -  or even the risk of trusting the bastards at all? I’m not convinced.

1 minute ago, wee-toon-red said:

Talk that the SNP could be prepared to help the Tories get a bill through to call an early election.

While they’d almost certainly gain seats with an election in the next few weeks, is it worth the risk of being seen to assist the Tories - if they want to call an election they must think they’ll benefit from it -  or even the risk of trusting the bastards at all? I’m not convinced.

Where did you hear of this ?

The SNP wont do any deals with this Tory Govt 

12 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

Would be suicidal for the SNP, cant see them even contemplating this.

5 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

No falling out from me, he wants indy, i want indy, i just think hes going the wrong way about it, we need to persuade folk to see a vision of what could be, not be told this is what’s happening whether you like it it not.Folk want Independence for many different reasons, dont alienate folk by forcing your own agenda onto them

All that last sentence says to me is you're being overly influenced by your Yes-Leave voting pals.

SNP strategy relies on converting the No-Remainers. 

If you have a better strategy, i'm all ears! (Bear in mind the 'remain' vote in Scotland is running at 70% according to the polls).

5 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

The level of devotion towards the EU in the context of Scottish independence is actually quite sad. 

<waves to PIAK from a former colonial region of the UK, which now has a GDP of nearly twice that of Scotland, mainly thanks to the opportunity afforded by the EU>  :wave:

:ok:

Edited by Dave78

The stark fact of the matter is that pushing for independence you cannot appease everybody with your plans. It is impossible. We are seeing that with Brexit.

For Scotland a massive issue at the moment is EU membership. A large amount voted to Remain but that is being takenbaway from ascots by Brexit and that sentiment runs across the country. Fisherman want to Leave because they do not like the deal they have with the EU. Sorry but spmething has to give somewhere. There are potentially a lot more Yes voters to be hoovered up amongst those who wished to Remain on the EU than pissed off fishermen I am afraid. In any case would I not be right in saying that in 2014 the fishing communities voted No even though loss of EU membership was guaranteed if a Yes vote was returned? That tells me that fishermen will probably always be staunch unionists. I stand to be corrected on that if anyone wishes to come up with different views on that.

7 hours ago, aaid said:

Ignore him, he's an idiot. 

The thing I've never understood is that surely the best thing for the entire Scottish Fishing industry and by that I mean the processors, the inshore fishers, salmon farmers and not just the skippers of the pelagic fleet would be for them to be part of the EU to guarantee the access to markets but represented by a Scottish government who would be a lot less likely to shaft them than the UK government in return for whatever UK priority took precedence.  You'd actually think it would make a lot of sense for the EU commissioner in charge of Fishing to be Scottish. 

Thats the thing, only certain sectors of the industry want a hard brexit, primarily the white fish sector, the scottish creel federation is dead against it, the biggest pelagic family are against it, most however would like to see a slacker relationship with the union and look to Norway with jealousy. It is a very complex industry, i dont do it justice on here.

Mr thistle doesn’t bother me his enthusiasm must be admired, i feel he just needs to manage it a bit better and not get himself over excited 

14 hours ago, Rohan said:

Let's have a look at it then, the snp campaigned tirelessly for independence, knowing full well that if they had won then Scotland was to leave the EU. Now after the brexit referendum (in which the leave campaign basically used the blueprint that the snp used for independence) the SNP will get part of their wish in which we will be independent from the EU. Now, unhappy that the uk voted to leave , we again have the Arthur Donaldson party playing the  victim once again

Because I do not support the snp, it doesn't make me any less patriotic than the most staunchest of snp supporters 

So would you regard yourself open to scottish independence?

3 hours ago, Dave78 said:

<waves to PIAK from a former colonial region of the UK, which now has a GDP of nearly twice that of Scotland, mainly thanks to the opportunity afforded by the EU>  :wave:

:ok:

Doesn’t that reinforce my point?

By reducing true political independence to money and the economy we’ll never be independent and at the mercy of international financial institutions.

Morning ;) 

8 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Sad that people realise how Scotland's economy would suffer with the loss of umpteen preferential trade deals throughout Europe and the World ?

See my previous post.

I’m sympathetic to what you’re saying but this only reinforces why international trade deals and institutions like the EU are anti democratic.

Leave and your economy is fucked wasn’t right in 2014 and shouldn’t be right with the EU.

8 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Sad is not knowing your history and how England did this to Scotland before

Sad is not knowing we only eradicated slums after we joined the EU and how good it has been for Scotland

That's the level of devotion - everyone knows it has it's bad points

The EU eradicated the slums? I was born in the 80’s but that seems far fetched, never realised the benevolent EU had so much power and influence ...

32 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Doesn’t that reinforce my point?

By reducing true political independence to money and the economy we’ll never be independent and at the mercy of international financial institutions.

Morning ;) 

Leaving the EU is going to make absolutely no difference to that whatsoever. If that's your reason for wanting to leave the EU then I think you are barking up the wrong tree.

44 minutes ago, Rohan said:

I voted for Scottish independence and voted to leave the EU

Well thats one thing we have in common although when it came to brexit i wasn't overly passionate when i voted leave , if it came down to scotland being independent in the EU or part of the uk outside the Eu what would you go for? And what is the general feeling you have encountered with folk of the political stance as yourself?

52 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Well thats one thing we have in common although when it came to brexit i wasn't overly passionate when i voted leave , if it came down to scotland being independent in the EU or part of the uk outside the Eu what would you go for? And what is the general feeling you have encountered with folk of the political stance as yourself?

I think being independent from the EU will be a great thing in the long run for the UK. Would Scotland really benefit being a member of the EU as an independent country? I'm really not sure. I would seriously need to give it some consideration. I've met loads of people who are Brexiteers especially in and  around working class areas

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

For me independence is the end goal. Independence with EU membership or independence without the EU I would tske both options over what we have. This union must,be terminated.

5 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

For me independence is the end goal. Independence with EU membership or independence without the EU I would tske both options over what we have. This union must,be terminated.

have you done an economic assessment on that...like the SNP are screaming for now re Brexit deal?

if it turns out we're worse off would you still go for it?  I see no economic answer to a hard border with England for the medium term.  I want independence but i'm not keen on cutting important services to fund it.  

5 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

have you done an economic assessment on that...like the SNP are screaming for now re Brexit deal?

if it turns out we're worse off would you still go for it?  I see no economic answer to a hard border with England for the medium term.  I want independence but i'm not keen on cutting important services to fund it.  

Look it goes without saying of course we would be worse off initially. No two ways about that. I accept the pain for the long-term gain is my mindset. On the other side of the coin Brexit is going to be equally as painful financially for us. One different with Brexit is that after the hardship we are still slaves to Westminster ruled over by fat Etonian toffs. No thank you.

A hard border between Scotland and England - well if it has to be it has to be. What important services do you speak of that you think would be cut?