The Brexit Thread - Page 162 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

50 minutes ago, Rohan said:

Let's have a look at it then, the snp campaigned tirelessly for independence, knowing full well that if they had won then Scotland was to leave the EU. Now after the brexit referendum (in which the leave campaign basically used the blueprint that the snp used for independence) the SNP will get part of their wish in which we will be independent from the EU. Now, unhappy that the uk voted to leave , we again have the Arthur Donaldson party playing the  victim once again

Because I do not support the snp, it doesn't make me any less patriotic than the most staunchest of snp supporters 

Jesus

Staunch in refusing Scotland any dignity perhaps

52 minutes ago, Rohan said:

Let's have a look at it then, the snp campaigned tirelessly for independence, knowing full well that if they had won then Scotland was to leave the EU. Now after the brexit referendum (in which the leave campaign basically used the blueprint that the snp used for independence) the SNP will get part of their wish in which we will be independent from the EU. Now, unhappy that the uk voted to leave , we again have the Arthur Donaldson party playing the  victim once again

Because I do not support the snp, it doesn't make me any less patriotic than the most staunchest of snp supporters 

Did you type that out with your chin? 

22 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Lets look at things here.

Scotland, to get one referendum in centuries had to beg and beg again to get one. The UK government had to do no begging to get their referendum at the first time of asking.

Now since the result it is the UK government making a James Hunt of things. Nothing to do with the EU if there is only one brain cell working at Westminster and that one on the blink. The EU took May's Deal and that got passed on to Westminster who could not pass it. In comes another PM who talks big about what he's going to do and the EU are courteous enough to re-open talks and after all his bluster he comes back with a deal all but identical to May's Deal barring the Backstop. And it looks like that may struggle to get passed by Westminster too and all this three and a bit years after the result of the referendum. If I were at the EU I'd have lost patience by now but it looks odds on they will grant another extension. I fail to see where the EU are being cunts here I really am.

Sorry I wasn’t clear, I’m not saying the EU are being cunts here, the competing fractions above the politicians are the cunts.

Back to topic

Surely if you want Indy then you want this bill to pass tonight right ?

Scottish Parliament reconvening tomorrow and the FM fires the starting gun ?

18 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well Dominic Cummings immediately springs to mind but who else?

Nobody with an accurate up to date wikipedia page ... slightly fatuous but I’m ridiculed on here (some would say deservedly so) when I talk about ruling elites but it makes for good pub chat. 

39 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Back to topic

Surely if you want Indy then you want this bill to pass tonight right ?

Scottish Parliament reconvening tomorrow and the FM fires the starting gun ?

Well that is one route to independence but there are others too should the bill not get passed. The bill gets pulled and a GE called and results in a Hung Parliament. Labour could get into power with a coalition with the SNP in return for a second Indy Ref.

3 hours ago, Rohan said:

Depends what you mean by patriotic - standing up for your country? But which country?

For example the Scots Tories always put UK interests ahead of Scotland’s. The Scots Tory MPs know Brexit will be bad for Scotland and they know the present 'deal' will give NI advantages that are denied to Scotland. But they will trot through the lobbies behind the English nationalist PM like poodles for their colonial Master. 

6 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Alex Salmond did not do it all on his own. Tens of thousands of SNP supporters down through the years across the country on the other had did. These people are the real heroes of the movement.

Btw how do you think it looks trying to talk round an undecided voter in Glasgow or West Lothian with a lot of utter shite about "getting wir fish back again" ? It makes us look like pricks. We were viewed by many voters for years as a "farming, fishing and ferries" party and it held us back.

We want to be in the EU. That makes accepting the quotas. If you can't handle it then so be it, vote for someone else. I'd rather the SNP stuck to their principles and didn't make false promises that they can't keep.

And thats the attitude that will never win us independence, absolutely shocking 

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

And thats the attitude that will never win us independence, absolutely shocking 

What exactly is shocking about it ?

Get a grip FFS :lol:

Upset that I'd have us be honest with the over demanding, completely unrealistic fishermen about their quotas and not sell them a load of pie in the sky bullshit in exchange for votes ? You'd condone lying to win would you ?

Edited by ErsatzThistle

14 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Get a grip FFS :lol:

Upset that I'd have us be honest with the over demanding, completely unrealistic fishermen about their quotas and not sell them a load of pie in the sky bullshit in exchange for votes ? You'd condone lying to win would you ?

Who's upset? And please don't talk about the quota system, you have no idea how it works, this has nothing to do with quotas or fishermen, its about the miss judgment of scottish voters and what they want.

20 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Who's upset? And please don't talk about the quota system, you have no idea how it works, this has nothing to do with quotas or fishermen, its about the miss judgment of scottish voters and what they want.

So what do they want then ?

This'll be good :lol:

47 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

It's not a great look to give the impression that you think significant swathes of your country is unimportant? 

Not worth falling out over? 

Edited by exile

1 minute ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I can only tell you what they don't want at the moment, and its the vision that yourself and many others within our party are force feeding the scottish electorate 

What is it that they want ? Go on spell it out.

Try selling your appalling vision for Scotland to young voters down here. You'll be a total laughing stock.

Just now, exile said:

It's not a great look to give the impression that you think significant swathes of your country is unimportant? 

It's more people who are stuck firm, living in the past I'm having a go at.

2 minutes ago, exile said:

No falling out from me, he wants indy, i want indy, i just think hes going the wrong way about it, we need to persuade folk to see a vision of what could be, not be told this is what’s happening whether you like it it not.Folk want Independence for many different reasons, dont alienate folk by forcing your own agenda onto them

3 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

No falling out from me, he wants indy, i want indy, i just think hes going the wrong way about it, we need to persuade folk to see a vision of what could be, not be told this is what’s happening whether you like it it not.Folk want Independence for many different reasons, dont alienate folk by forcing your own agenda onto them

Agenda ....

Scottish independence is an agenda !

8 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Least he’s honest about it, he’d be a breath if fresh air in government 

A Scottish Tony Abbott or Andrew Scheer ?

Em, naw.

42 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Ignore him, he's an idiot. 

The thing I've never understood is that surely the best thing for the entire Scottish Fishing industry and by that I mean the processors, the inshore fishers, salmon farmers and not just the skippers of the pelagic fleet would be for them to be part of the EU to guarantee the access to markets but represented by a Scottish government who would be a lot less likely to shaft them than the UK government in return for whatever UK priority took precedence.  You'd actually think it would make a lot of sense for the EU commissioner in charge of Fishing to be Scottish. 

1 minute ago, aaid said:

Ignore him, he's an idiot. 

The thing I've never understood is that surely the best thing for the entire Scottish Fishing industry and by that I mean the processors, the inshore fishers, salmon farmers and not just the skippers of the pelagic fleet would be for them to be part of the EU to guarantee the access to markets but represented by a Scottish government who would be a lot less likely to shaft them than the UK government in return for whatever UK priority took precedence.  You'd actually think it would make a lot of sense for the EU commissioner in charge of Fishing to be Scottish. 

I still think your hot aaid :ok:

21 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

The level of devotion towards the EU in the context of Scottish independence is actually quite sad.