The Brexit Thread - Page 161 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

It can not be understated how important the fishing industry has been in the rise of the snp, especially banff and buchan, A young alex salmond stormed into westminster in this constituency, a tory stronghold at the time may i add, and how did he win this seat? On the back of a campaign to get the fishermen out of the CFP.  From his safe seat in the northeast Alec basically built the SNP into the major party in scotland, so its worth baring that in mind 

Alex Salmond did not do it all on his own. Tens of thousands of SNP supporters down through the years across the country on the other had did. These people are the real heroes of the movement.

Btw how do you think it looks trying to talk round an undecided voter in Glasgow or West Lothian with a lot of utter shite about "getting wir fish back again" ? It makes us look like pricks. We were viewed by many voters for years as a "farming, fishing and ferries" party and it held us back.

We want to be in the EU. That makes accepting the quotas. If you can't handle it then so be it, vote for someone else. I'd rather the SNP stuck to their principles and didn't make false promises that they can't keep.

5 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

True but the backing of another vote will come back to bite them in the arse 

You could look at it two ways though.

If another referendum happens then they could quite legitimately say okay well if you can have another referendum on Brexit then why not on Scottish Independence?

I see where you are coming from on that if a second IndyRef happens and Yes gets a narrow win then what if unionists ask for another vote. Well lets get independence first.

4 minutes ago, Rohan said:

The "dragged us out of the EU" bollocks 

WTF?

I take it you totally blank out facts such as 62% of Scotland voted Remain in the 2016 vote? And that every constituency in Scotland backed Remain in it. 

Plus the most unacceptable thing is that Better Together used EU membership as a clear bargaining chip as a reason to vote No in 2014.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

WTF?

I take it you totally blank out facts such as 62% of Scotland voted Remain in the 2016 vote? And that every constituency in Scotland backed Remain in it. 

Plus the most unacceptable thing is that Better Together used EU membership as a clear bargaining chip as a reason to vote No in 2014.

Remind me of what the question on the ballot paper said again? 

Just now, Rohan said:

Remind me of what the question on the ballot paper said again? 

I am sorry if you do not recognise this fact but there are well over a million people in Scotland that sees Scotland as a country and a country that has its own parliament. Scotland is one part of what I presume is your precious union that is supposed to have an equal say in the running of the UK. Well evidently going by Brexit it does not. The union is described as 'a union of equals' but it clearly is not. Northern Ireland and Scotland voted to Remain. Wales and England voted to Leave so two parts of this union is being ignored. If you think that is quite alright then I really do pity you.

15 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I am sorry if you do not recognise this fact but there are well over a million people in Scotland that sees Scotland as a country and a country that has its own parliament. Scotland is one part of what I presume is your precious union that is supposed to have an equal say in the running of the UK. Well evidently going by Brexit it does not. The union is described as 'a union of equals' but it clearly is not. Northern Ireland and Scotland voted to Remain. Wales and England voted to Leave so two parts of this union is being ignored. If you think that is quite alright then I really do pity you.

Cringe

43 minutes ago, Rohan said:

The "dragged us out of the EU" bollocks 

Just because you don't agree with someone's point of view it doesn't make them a hypocrite.  What makes someone a hypocrite is if they hold two positions which could reasonably considered to be in opposition to each other. 

6 minutes ago, aaid said:

Just because you don't agree with someone's point of view it doesn't make them a hypocrite.  What makes someone a hypocrite is if they hold two positions which could reasonably considered to be in opposition to each other. 

Let's have a look at it then, the snp campaigned tirelessly for independence, knowing full well that if they had won then Scotland was to leave the EU. Now after the brexit referendum (in which the leave campaign basically used the blueprint that the snp used for independence) the SNP will get part of their wish in which we will be independent from the EU. Now, unhappy that the uk voted to leave , we again have the Arthur Donaldson party playing the  victim once again

Because I do not support the snp, it doesn't make me any less patriotic than the most staunchest of snp supporters 

6 minutes ago, Rohan said:

Let's have a look at it then, the snp campaigned tirelessly for independence, knowing full well that if they had won then Scotland was to leave the EU. Now after the brexit referendum (in which the leave campaign basically used the blueprint that the snp used for independence) the SNP will get part of their wish in which we will be independent from the EU. Now, unhappy that the uk voted to leave , we again have the Arthur Donaldson party playing the  victim once again

Because I do not support the snp, it doesn't make me any less patriotic than the most staunchest of snp supporters 

You haven't a clue what you are talking about have you? Let me remind you that the SNP's stance in the independence referendum was that they would immediately apply for EU membership if they became independent. This was their reply in debates with Bitter Together who urged Scots to lend them their vote to stay in the EU. Many people did that and look now at how they were repaid. Your union is rotten to the core. For evidence of that look at how the Tory government repays the DUP for keeping them in power for two years? They negotiate a deal that goes totally against what the DUP wants.

This union is more dead than the dodo.

12 minutes ago, Rohan said:

Absolutely correct.

28 minutes ago, Rohan said:

Cringe

But your Scottish cringe does.

12 minutes ago, Rohan said:

Dear oh dear oh dear.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

You haven't a clue what you are talking about have you? Let me remind you that the SNP's stance in the independence referendum was that they would immediately apply for EU membership if they became independent. This was their reply in debates with Bitter Together who urged Scots to lend them their vote to stay in the EU. Many people did that and look now at how they were repaid. Your union is rotten to the core. For evidence of that look at how the Tory government repays the DUP for keeping them in power for two years? They negotiate a deal that goes totally against what the DUP wants.

This union is more dead than the dodo.

Many people did that? Who like? Oh I know that the snp would be chapping on the doors of the eu like some sad sack desperate to be brought in. I'm under no illusions of that, however they didn't give 2 fucks for the eu during the indy ref did they?

16 minutes ago, Rohan said:

So in a nutshell ....

"WATP !"

Is that what your trying to say ?

Edited by ErsatzThistle

8 minutes ago, Rohan said:

Many people did that? Who like? Oh I know that the snp would be chapping on the doors of the eu like some sad sack desperate to be brought in. I'm under no illusions of that, however they didn't give 2 fucks for the eu during the indy ref did they?

Yes many did. Don't believe me?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/20/scottish-independence-lord-ashcroft-poll

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

You could look at it two ways though.

If another referendum happens then they could quite legitimately say okay well if you can have another referendum on Brexit then why not on Scottish Independence?

I see where you are coming from on that if a second IndyRef happens and Yes gets a narrow win then what if unionists ask for another vote. Well lets get independence first.

Absolutely, that’s the issue, the cry for a “people’s vote” would be strong and that’s with a hostile media and very little support from the world of banks etc.

With Brexit there is competing fractions of cunts on either side, Scottish independence will get very little international support unless Brexit changes the EU’s stance, which may happen 

1 minute ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Absolutely, that’s the issue, the cry for a “people’s vote” would be strong and that’s with a hostile media and very little support from the world of banks etc.

With Brexit there is competing fractions of cunts on either side, Scottish independence will get very little international support unless Brexit changes the EU’s stance, which may happen 

Lets look at things here.

Scotland, to get one referendum in centuries had to beg and beg again to get one. The UK government had to do no begging to get their referendum at the first time of asking.

Now since the result it is the UK government making a James Hunt of things. Nothing to do with the EU if there is only one brain cell working at Westminster and that one on the blink. The EU took May's Deal and that got passed on to Westminster who could not pass it. In comes another PM who talks big about what he's going to do and the EU are courteous enough to re-open talks and after all his bluster he comes back with a deal all but identical to May's Deal barring the Backstop. And it looks like that may struggle to get passed by Westminster too and all this three and a bit years after the result of the referendum. If I were at the EU I'd have lost patience by now but it looks odds on they will grant another extension. I fail to see where the EU are being cunts here I really am.

Like Graham just corrected Dominic Grieve by stating that Scotland does indeed deserve a worse deal than Northern Ireland because we havent resorted to terrorism against a Colonial Government