The Brexit Thread - Page 160 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

8 minutes ago, thplinth said:

The left and the right are dynamic processes. They are not locked into one historical moment that defines them. As I said the left (and the right) is what the left (and the right) does. And right now this is what the 'left' does. I was called ever 'label' under the sun by these same folk without I recall much objection. Like I say, you got a more accurate label I am happy to use it. Cunts works for me.

They're concepts that burn less calories to process than more accurate descriptive models, therefore the go to option for brains where calorific load was the limiting factor in evolutionary development.

or simply put the path of least resistance.

I guess it's my own fault for identifying with terms then feeling something when they are used in ways i personally don't identify with.

9 minutes ago, phart said:

They're concepts that burn less calories to process than more accurate descriptive models, therefore the go to option for brains where calorific load was the limiting factor in evolutionary development.

or simply put the path of least resistance.

I guess it's my own fault for identifying with terms then feeling something when they are used in ways i personally don't identify with.

I am just running out of labels. We had Labour and then New Labour and now New Old Labour under Corbyn...

In America the democrats of old have disappeared and we have a party that is frighteningly similar to the current SNP. Riddled with identity / progressive politics.

The SNP who themselves are a different party to what they were in 2014.

How about the 'faux left'?

Edited by thplinth

2 minutes ago, WCTA said:

Aye, just seen that. Typical farmer Tory cunt who runs a big glamping site in Stirlingshire. Cunt is pretty famous actually. 

Dumb cunt thinking he can go into Bannockburn to stop Scottish independence via violence.

And then on the 'right' you go from Reagan to Bush I & II to Trump.

Which one is the right 'right'?

These are loose terms that are qualified by the context. 

You are old school left phart, I am talking about whatever school of cocksucker these new ones are from.

Edited by thplinth

Interesting suggestion on Wings over Scotland (credit where it's due) that the SNP should only vote for a 2nd referendum in return for a quadruple lock on it (ie all 4 of the awesome foursome agreeing to Leave) and/or indyref 2 (or some suggestions, transferring the constitutional powers permanently)

The interesting logic is that it forces the unionist remainers to face what they value more: the chance to stop Brexit, or the ability to deny Scots indyref2. The genius being that it beautifully links the case for indyref2 and the case for EUref ; they'd be shooting themselves in the foot, to deny right to one and so deny right to the other.

The quadruple lock is interesting as I saw somewhere that a reason it had been denied before was that the 2016 ref was "only advisory" but you can be damn sure if there is a EUref2, it will be absolutely mandatory. The quadruple lock would almost certainly not get a Leave outcome, so may not be likely to be agreed, hence need tfor another alternative like allowing indyref2, or I wonder, rewording the question so that any parts of the UK could leave if they wanted or remain if they wanted. 

32 minutes ago, thplinth said:

And then on the 'right' you go from Reagan to Bush I & II to Trump.

Which one is the right 'right'?

These are loose terms that are qualified by the context. 

You are old school left phart, I am talking about whatever school of cocksucker these new ones are from.

Well i used neo-con for Bush II but i get your point.

Then you get Fiscal Conservatives like Sowell etc who actually make compelling arguments. Certainly tempered some of my understandings on things like minimum wage.

6 minutes ago, WCTA said:

A question on the facebook page.

I'd love to hire a wigwam cabin thingy. My partner is pro indy though. Would she be getting her totties for not being of your political leanings? Thanks in advance.

2 minutes ago, phart said:

A question on the facebook page.

I'd love to hire a wigwam cabin thingy. My partner is pro indy though. Would she be getting her totties for not being of your political leanings? Thanks in advance.

I see the Wigwam page is now replying to all comments saying someone fake had hacked his Twitter account. 😏

On second thoughts, not clear to me who the SNP would do a deal with (to get the indyref2 mandate) or how...  the scenario imagines a behind the scenes deal with (primarily) Corbyn & Swinson, saying we'll vote to back EUref2, and ...er... if either of you wins the next general election, which could be 3 months or 3 years away...  then you give us indyref2, or else..., what? 

19 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Not just generational, but a geographic shift. The SNP heartlands are now ex-Labour voting urban areas, whereas they used to be HampdenLoon's north-eastern neck of the woods. 

Yeah I fully agree.

And it's brilliant for all those SNP supporters in such areas to finally taste success.

In the hard years it was those people who were out in the pissing rain handing out leaflets, putting up posters, talking to the public in places like Paisley, Motherwell, Airdrie, Clydebank, Falkirk, Leith and Dunfermline when we had absolutely feck all chance of winning seats in such places. They didn't give up, they kept going.and here we are today thanks to them. 

But according to some people the SNP owe a bunch of fishermen everything. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Yeah I fully agree.

And it's brilliant for all those SNP supporters in such areas to finally taste success.

In the hard years it was those people who were out in the pissing rain handing out leaflets, putting up posters, talking to the public in places like Paisley, Motherwell, Airdrie, Clydebank, Falkirk, Leith and Dunfermline when we had absolutely feck all chance of winning seats in such places. They didn't give up, they kept going.and here we are today thanks to them. 

But according to some people the SNP owe a bunch of fishermen everything. :rolleyes:

It can not be understated how important the fishing industry has been in the rise of the snp, especially banff and buchan, A young alex salmond stormed into westminster in this constituency, a tory stronghold at the time may i add, and how did he win this seat? On the back of a campaign to get the fishermen out of the CFP.  From his safe seat in the northeast Alec basically built the SNP into the major party in scotland, so its worth baring that in mind 

21 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

It can not be understated how important the fishing industry has been in the rise of the snp, especially banff and buchan, A young alex salmond stormed into westminster in this constituency, a tory stronghold at the time may i add, and how did he win this seat? On the back of a campaign to get the fishermen out of the CFP.  From his safe seat in the northeast Alec basically built the SNP into the major party in scotland, so its worth baring that in mind 

How many potential Yes votes are to be had in those constituencies though compared to large cities such as Glasgow or Edinburgh? Those types of cities being turned into SNP voters and potential Yes voters is far more important - nembers wise. In any case lets not kid ourselves that what the Tories are promising fishermen is anything like the fishermen are asking for - it isn't.

13 hours ago, exile said:

On second thoughts, not clear to me who the SNP would do a deal with (to get the indyref2 mandate) or how...  the scenario imagines a behind the scenes deal with (primarily) Corbyn & Swinson, saying we'll vote to back EUref2, and ...er... if either of you wins the next general election, which could be 3 months or 3 years away...  then you give us indyref2, or else..., what? 

It's another fanciful idea from Wings.  He does a very good job of presenting things like this to be a logical, simple, no brainer - but the reality of the situation is never that straightforward. 

SNP have long backed a 2nd EUref. If they don't do that, they will not only look hypocritical but will also potentially be responsible for delivering Brexit. That won't go down well with the middle ground voter.

6 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

It's another fanciful idea from Wings.  He does a very good job of presenting things like this to be a logical, simple, no brainer - but the reality of the situation is never that straightforward. 

SNP have long backed a 2nd EUref. If they don't do that, they will not only look hypocritical but will also potentially be responsible for delivering Brexit. That won't go down well with the middle ground voter.

And on the subject of Brexit and the SNP stance it is funny when you listen to other parties claiming they are using Brexit as an excuse to push for independence. That is ridiculous in itself. If you think back to when the Brexit referendum was announced all polls saw it as being a straight forward vote being returned to Remain and this was the camp the SNP stood in. It is not like the SNP altered their position midway through the Brexit issue. They have always firmly placed themselves in the Remain camp.