Scottish teams in Europe - Page 9 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish teams in Europe

26 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Rangers problem last night was the same as last season. They play with 2 holding midfielders and an attacking midfielder who drops deep so therefore doesnt get into the box. They dominate possession but teams get men behind the ball and hit them on the counter. They have attacking full backs and wingers who get into good positions but when the ball comes into the box only the centre forward is in there. Against the majority of teams Rangers dont need 2 holding mids. They could have 1 holding and Nico dropping to be a playmaker. Then either play an attacking mid who gets into the box or a 2nd forward.

Agree with everything you say there. As well as the atacking midfileder getting into the box I would like to see the person on the opposite wing from which we are attacking drift into the back post.

39 minutes ago, theweestevie said:

Agree with everything you say there. As well as the atacking midfileder getting into the box I would like to see the person on the opposite wing from which we are attacking drift into the back post.

I think thats the plan with the formation but Rangers tend to have the wingers very wide or deep. If you compare with Celtic who on paper have the same formation. Armstrong plays the attacking mid and gets into the box more. Sinclair plays more narrow aswell which probably is a factor on the number of goals he scores. 

Rangers seem setup for crosses but dont have bodies in the box for either the original cross or the knock down / 2nd ball.

From Progres' wiki page:-

"The club has now famously only won one tie in European competition, (2-1 aggregate) against (The) Rangers FC in the 2017-18 Europa League First Qualifying Round, it has now started the rumour that new Rangers star Ryan Jack has caught a plane back to his former club Aberdeen. "

33 minutes ago, Langtonian said:

To be fair one team has played 14 times in Europe and  scored once previously, other teams only second game in Europe and scored once

First goals they have scored in Europe in my lifetime......... :lol:

On 30/06/2017 at 0:33 PM, Fairbairn said:

I think it's the other Limassol side that is seeded higher, not the one that we are playing.  From memory, if we beat Limassol, we still need about another 8 or 9 higher seeds to be knocked out before we'd be in the top tier of seeds.

:lol::lol:

1 hour ago, JECK said:

League start and end dates to change/summer football? This is beyond a joke now with st Johnstone looking out as well.

Whit?  And spoil all the fun?

Luxembourg have a winter season too, by the way.  And the players have day jobs.  And average crowds of about 200.  

Firstly, Celtic and Sevco aren't Scottish teams.

They are Scottish-based teams with their allegiances elsewhere.

Perhaps a thread titled 'Scottish-based teams in Europe' would be a more appropriate place to discuss their matches.

Secondly, how gutless are Hearts (and how corrupt are the SFA?)

Sevco took Hearts' rightful place in the Europa League as Sevco not FFP, and not a peep from Hearts. top6.gif

(Did Anne get some sort of secret compensation deal?)

And thirdly... What exactly did you think would happen when you spat in the face of The Glorious to slink away and sell your soul to satan's XI, Mr. Jack?

(You gambled it all on 32Red and lost.) :suicide:

4 hours ago, Marky said:

A monorail? A monorail.

Aberdeen are already stronger than last season and through to the next round without even kicking a ball while you've been sold a bill of goods by a chimp who's been found out and won't even be there at Christmas.

Good luck to your new and completely unproven teammates in Scottish weather and in a Scottish football league. :crazy:

Gaining Top Six and avoiding administration (tic toc) this season will be like winning the World Club Championship for your mob.

As Derek said "There's a proper way to leave a club... " and this wonderful, wonderful result looks soooo good on you, Ryan. lolrangers.gif  sheepdance.gif  :wave:

1 hour ago, Scotty CTA said:

Firstly, Celtic and Sevco aren't Scottish teams.

They are Scottish-based teams with their allegiances elsewhere.

Perhaps a thread titled 'Scottish-based teams in Europe' would be a more appropriate place to discuss their matches.

Secondly, how gutless are Hearts (and how corrupt are the SFA?)

Sevco took Hearts' rightful place in the Europa League as Sevco not FFP, and not a peep from Hearts. top6.gif

(Did Anne get some sort of secret compensation deal?)

And thirdly... What exactly did you think would happen when you spat in the face of The Glorious to slink away and sell your soul to satan's XI, Mr. Jack?

(You gambled it all on 32Red and lost.) :suicide:

A monorail? A monorail.

Aberdeen are already stronger than last season and through to the next round without even kicking a ball while you've been sold a bill of goods by a chimp who's been found out and won't even be there at Christmas.

Good luck to your new and completely unproven teammates in Scottish weather and in a Scottish football league. :crazy:

Gaining Top Six and avoiding administration (tic toc) this season will be like winning the World Club Championship for your mob.

As Derek said "There's a proper way to leave a club... " and this wonderful, wonderful result looks soooo good on you, Ryan. lolrangers.gif  sheepdance.gif  :wave:

Aberdeen, 'stronger than last season', really?  I can understand the gloating but you've lost a lot of key players and haven't replaced them yet.  On a more positive note I would think McLean is more likely to stay rather than follow Jack for those big Euro nights.

2 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Aberdeen, 'stronger than last season', really?  I can understand the gloating but you've lost a lot of key players and haven't replaced them yet.  On a more positive note I would think McLean is more likely to stay rather than follow Jack for those big Euro nights.

A bit strong but i can see the merit in what he is saying. 

We've added: Tansey (better fit for our team than Jack), Christie & Stewart. If we were to add Maloney, May and Arnasen (all rumours ATM right enough), then we'd have undoubtedly have improved.