Scottish teams in Europe - Page 8 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish teams in Europe

9 minutes ago, macy37 said:

All in a few short years. How did I miss all this?

Denial?

(Given we now have four different rulings in the Court of Session setting out the club/owner status, I'm going for denial :lol:)

Edited by Stu101

radio commentary, saints best chance of scoring from set pieces and crosses

they are a technically gifted team

...we are footballing cavemen and surely the laughing stock of Europe

you can't sink any lower

when will we try and change our game, play our youngsters and change our style of play

1 hour ago, EddardStark said:

I could regret this but I expect us to go through with a bit to spare. However we will find it a lot harder against the Cypriots in the next round.

I agree. Sounds like we dominated and made chances which we then missed. A bit like the early games last season. 

Hopefully as the new signings play more we'll start to see improvements. 

Sounds like Krancjar was head and shoulders above the rest though, which is good to hear. He would have made a difference to our season last year, if he'd stayed fit. 

54 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I agree. Sounds like we dominated and made chances which we then missed. A bit like the early games last season. 

Hopefully as the new signings play more we'll start to see improvements. 

Sounds like Krancjar was head and shoulders above the rest though, which is good to hear. He would have made a difference to our season last year, if he'd stayed fit. 

Some of Krancjar's touches and passing were sublime although the level of the opposition has to be noted.  Once he went off we really struggled to create anything meaningful and I know I shouldn't judge but I'm already looking at Dalcio and thinking "Capucho".  Candeias looked decent went he came on, quite direct and bags of pace (like a good O'Halloran).  Hopefully the likes of Pena, Herrera and maybe Dorrans coming in will shake things up a bit.

35 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Some of Krancjar's touches and passing were sublime although the level of the opposition has to be noted.  Once he went off we really struggled to create anything meaningful and I know I shouldn't judge but I'm already looking at Dalcio and thinking "Capucho".  Candeias looked decent went he came on, quite direct and bags of pace (like a good O'Halloran).  Hopefully the likes of Pena, Herrera and maybe Dorrans coming in will shake things up a bit.

Watching the game last night Dalcio had me thinking "Weiss" great first 10 minutes, plenty of fancy touches, then he seemed to disappear 

2 hours ago, EddardStark said:

I could regret this but I expect us to go through with a bit to spare. However we will find it a lot harder against the Cypriots in the next round.

It's so difficult to go from closed doors bounce games to competitive football. If Rangers progress (no pun intended) they may benefit from having a couple of competitive games (I had to remove "under their belt" as I was a "European cracks" away from Daily Record levels of cliche ridden waffle).

Although I'd expect Limassol will be a step up in quality.

I thought Dalcio looked a handful, although I wasn't really watching the second half.

Krancjar will be like a new signing until he gets injured. As I remember he was way off the pace (despite some nice touches) last season before his injury. Still has the look of a luxury player that will score your 3rd or 4th goal in 4-0 win.

12 hours ago, Marky said:

Wow. Just saw KM's goal. Almost a carbon copy of the one her scored against Germany at Hampden all those years ago.  Virtually identical.

Except that was against Germany and this  was against plumbers.

???

I might be on my own here but I didn't see much wrong with Rangers performance last night, you could tell they weren't used to starting competitive football in June. They dominated the match and created chances, on another day they would have coasted to a 4-0 win. I already regret giving Rangers a positive review:lol:

58 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

It's so difficult to go from closed doors bounce games to competitive football. If Rangers progress (no pun intended) they may benefit from having a couple of competitive games (I had to remove "under their belt" as I was a "European cracks" away from Daily Record levels of cliche ridden waffle).

Although I'd expect Limassol will be a step up in quality.

I thought Dalcio looked a handful, although I wasn't really watching the second half.

Krancjar will be like a new signing until he gets injured. As I remember he was way off the pace (despite some nice touches) last season before his injury. Still has the look of a luxury player that will score your 3rd or 4th goal in 4-0 win.

Krancjar didn't have a proper pre-season last year and was struggling for fitness. He was actually just getting match fit and was starting to hit a bit of form when he got injured. He has been working hard to get himself fit for the start of this season (i think he was training throuhgout the break so he could get fit) so hopefully he should be able to make an impact right from the start.

I think he will contribute much more than a goal later in the games that we are already winning. I think he will be involved in a lot of our goals as his ranges of passes will split open defences. The thing holding him back in this regard is other players not being meantally quick enough to read where the space is going to be and to get themselves into that space.

I think he also has the ability to get a goal from nothing, which will be important for games where we are struggling.

15 minutes ago, jailender said:

I read yesterday that since the Europa Cup was restructures only 6 teams out of 576 that started in the first qualifying round have made it to the group stages !!

I would believe that. If you look at the seeded sides in Q3 and the play off round,  it's pretty unlikely that any side entering at Q1 would beat 2 of them.

Any team in Q1 could have to beat 2 from Ac Milan, Everton, Zenit, PSV, Marseille.... to qualify for the group stage.

Rangers will be seeded in Q3 if they get there, as the draw is made before Q2 is finished, so they'd take Limassols seeding for that round only.

48 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I would believe that. If you look at the seeded sides in Q3 and the play off round,  it's pretty unlikely that any side entering at Q1 would beat 2 of them.

Any team in Q1 could have to beat 2 from Ac Milan, Everton, Zenit, PSV, Marseille.... to qualify for the group stage.

Rangers will be seeded in Q3 if they get there, as the draw is made before Q2 is finished, so they'd take Limassols seeding for that round only.

I think it's the other Limassol side that is seeded higher, not the one that we are playing.  From memory, if we beat Limassol, we still need about another 8 or 9 higher seeds to be knocked out before we'd be in the top tier of seeds.

4 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I think it's the other Limassol side that is seeded higher, not the one that we are playing.  From memory, if we beat Limassol, we still need about another 8 or 9 higher seeds to be knocked out before we'd be in the top tier of seeds.

Ah, I thought the A in AEL must stand for Appolon.

:lol:

There are only 8 teams seeded higher in Q1 than AEL and the draw for Q3 is (usually)made assuming the seed wins Q2 due to the quick turnaround, so you're pumped.

Have you seen the list of yeahs you could play in Q3 and the play off?

:shocked:

https://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/seedel2017.html

1 hour ago, theweestevie said:

Krancjar didn't have a proper pre-season last year and was struggling for fitness. He was actually just getting match fit and was starting to hit a bit of form when he got injured. He has been working hard to get himself fit for the start of this season (i think he was training throuhgout the break so he could get fit) so hopefully he should be able to make an impact right from the start.

I think he will contribute much more than a goal later in the games that we are already winning. I think he will be involved in a lot of our goals as his ranges of passes will split open defences. The thing holding him back in this regard is other players not being meantally quick enough to read where the space is going to be and to get themselves into that space.

I think he also has the ability to get a goal from nothing, which will be important for games where we are struggling.

His talent is undoubted - but he's been injury prone throughout his career (hence why he's playing at the level he is) and every chance he'll out injured again sometime soon

1 hour ago, theweestevie said:

I think he will contribute much more than a goal later in the games that we are already winning. 

I will be amazed if Krancjar is still on the pitch later in the game/any game. A player who doesn't seem to have completed 90 mins in about 6 years despite playing at walking pace.

Just now, Dalgety Bay TA said:

I will be amazed if Krancjar is still on the pitch later in the game/any game. A player who doesn't seem to have completed 90 mins in about 6 years despite playing at walking pace.

That was kind of the point I was making. I think he is more likely to set up/score the first couple of goals in a game rather than only contributing with a 4th later in the game.

34 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Ah, I thought the A in AEL must stand for Appolon.

There are only 8 teams seeded higher in Q1 than AEL and the draw for Q3 is (usually)made assuming the seed wins Q2 due to the quick turnaround, so you're pumped.

Have you seen the list of yeahs you could play in Q3 and the play off?

:shocked:

https://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/seedel2017.html

Aye think it's the likes of AC Milan, Everton, Marseilles etc.  I'm pretty sure Q3 is as far as we'll get unless we get a very favourable draw.  If we play the next 2-4 games they way we played last night I'm not even sure we'll get past Q2!  Still, even just one more full house at Ibrox is a decent wedge of badly needed money in the bank.  Will help raise the coefficient a fraction as well.

12 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Aye think it's the likes of AC Milan, Everton, Marseilles etc.  I'm pretty sure Q3 is as far as we'll get unless we get a very favourable draw.  If we play the next 2-4 games they way we played last night I'm not even sure we'll get past Q2!  Still, even just one more full house at Ibrox is a decent wedge of badly needed money in the bank.  Will help raise the coefficient a fraction as well.

Scottish teams best chance of making any money out of Europe is the solidarity payment if Celtic reach the group stage.

Rangers might almost be better to get an AC Milan, at least that way they get a big European night with no shame in losing to a Malmö or Poznan

Rangers problem last night was the same as last season. They play with 2 holding midfielders and an attacking midfielder who drops deep so therefore doesnt get into the box. They dominate possession but teams get men behind the ball and hit them on the counter. They have attacking full backs and wingers who get into good positions but when the ball comes into the box only the centre forward is in there. Against the majority of teams Rangers dont need 2 holding mids. They could have 1 holding and Nico dropping to be a playmaker. Then either play an attacking mid who gets into the box or a 2nd forward.