Rumour of snap GE -announcement 11.15 - Page 82 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rumour of snap GE -announcement 11.15

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Regardless of mistakes and misjudgements in the past - The SNP will not now roll back on the people of Scotland being given a choice between an extreme brexit UK and Independence within the EU

The reason ? Because it's not about the SNP - it's about what's best for Scotland

I have highlighted extreme brexit UK because there is a good chance that will not happen now and we might remain in the common market

Thats the only way it will be off the table

I think this will happen, the DUP and Northern Ireland will be the catalyst.

May (the remained) gets what she wanted all along, staying in the single market, she'll trade up free movement and bring in some further non EU immigration checks (which all government have had the ability to do). This will be pinned on the DUP as the cost of the deal. It will nullify IndyRef2, as for all intents and purposes, it will be the same as we are now.

The UKIP wing of her party have been killed off and either subsumed into her minority or mobilised and returned to the fold in Labour. JC very much being in the Soft Brexit camp.

Hell, we may even get to vote on the "deal" again as the ultimate get out parting shot from a failed Prime Minister, before she's punted by her back stabbing party.

J

The only reason that May hasn't been turfed out already by the 1922 Committee is that no-one wants to inherit the current unholy mess that she's created. She's the walking dead and she knows it.

Any DUP pact faces all sorts of problems in terms of legitimacy (unaccountable for its policies to the vast majority of the country), consistency (the Tory preemptive attacks on theoretical Labour / SNP pacts during previous elections) and morality (as per Toepoke's Ruth Davidson post). I remember the LibLab pacts of the late '70s which had none of the issues the present one has and yet made effective government almost impossible (Calllaghan also bought SNP support with the promise of devolution - which led to the 1979 referendum; it's was the failure of that that enabled Thatcher to call a vote of no confidence, passed by a single vote and triggering the early 1979 General Election and all the fun that followed).

I'll be surprised if there isn't another general election within the year, and May won't be leading the Tories into it. The only way it'll be avoided is that there's general agreement across the House on not rocking the boat during Brexit negotiations, but that'll take the sort of self-control that few of 'em are known for. Will Tory hard-brexit backbenchers want to risk another GE? Fear of that is the only thing that'll keep them in line if things look like going soft.

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Seemingly Ruth Davidson phoned Theresa May urging her not to bring the DUP on board due to their homophobia.

If so fair play to her. 

Feck Davidson. She loathes her own country. Stop giving that cow credit. She deserves none. As if any cvnt from London will listen to her anyway.

Edited by Ormond

3 hours ago, Ormond said:

Feck Davidson. She loathes her own country. Stop giving that cow credit. She deserves none. As if any cvnt from London will listen to her anyway.

Actually I'd imagine that the cvnts in London are currently wondering how the hell they can get Ruth into Westminster and fast-tracked into the national leadership. The only Tory to emerge with credit from the latest debacle and, to the cynical political eye, the perfect counter to a Corbyn-led Labour party driven by the support of the young.

Plus, if she has any sway with the Scottish MPs, that's a block of 13 that outweighs the DUP's ten. She'll be listened to.

Edited by DonnyTJS

Amid the gloom, here's a nice election day story. 

My friend lives in East Lothian, and her daughter, a Scottish Muslim, is studying at St Andrews. For some reason she hadn't applied for a postal, so on the day of the election she traveled back to St Andrews (think that's three trains/buses - Tranent to Edinburgh, Edinburgh to Cupar, and Cupar to St Andrews) just to vote. Voted and came right back home.

St Andrews MP? Stephen Gethins!

25 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Ha! I was right then, sort of ...

The cry goes up from Conservative Central Office: "What do we need to combat Jezza? A media-savvy, Scottish Lezza!"

May needs to think about maintaining solidarity in her own party never mind relying on the DUP. There are plenty of pro remainers who will shackle her on hard brexit and other poilcies. The one thing an MP worries about more than anything else is self preservation. Also I think there is incredible complacency amonst the press in respect of the belief the Corbyn machine has peaked. I doubt it has. I think the focus will be turned to Scotland as they probably see this as ripe for seats. I would expect Corbyn to push very hard for increased devolved powers.

Edited by EddardStark

10 hours ago, mwng said:

Bookies put £130 into my account today. Cheers for the tip by the way!

What did I tip? Ignore all the rest of my tips, I generally lose :lol:

6 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

FPTP is an affront to democracy.

I can't remember any posts like this on here after the 2015 election...

5 hours ago, Ormond said:

Aye f**king over disabled folk etc is fair game but on no can't have something that personally affects her. 

Edited by ParisInAKilt

8 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Seemingly Ruth Davidson phoned Theresa May urging her not to bring the DUP on board due to their homophobia.

If so fair play to her. 

That wouldn't be Ruth divulging the content of a private telephone conversation would it. 

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

I think we did - but accepted it was not our baw, so we had to play with the hand that was dealt, and take our turn of what had been occurring previously i

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Aye f**king over disabled folk etc is fair game but on no can't have something that personally affects her. 

"When they came for the disabled I didn't speak up for them because I wasn't disabled

When they came for those on benefits I didn't speak up for them because I wasn't on benefits

When they came for the elderly I didn't speak up because I wasn't elderly

When they came for the gays and lesbians..."

Is there any policy except GLBTQ rights where Davidson could even remotely be seen as progressive?

Guest flumax
4 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

Big game the day boys!  Take a day off :ok:

Really couldn't care, loss on the cards, no chance of qualification, not a big game in any sense. 

Guest BlueGaz
Just now, flumax said:

Really couldn't care, loss on the cards, no chance of qualification, not a big game in any sense. 

No probs, enjoy your day :ok:

9 hours ago, Toepoke said:

If so fair play to her. 

Id say that was 100% shite

Guest flumax
1 hour ago, BlueGaz said:

No probs, enjoy your day :ok:

And to you. Good to know some optimism is retained within the support. Start a round of doh a deer for me

Guest flumax
3 hours ago, Parklife said: