England Squad - Do we have anything to fear? - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

England Squad - Do we have anything to fear?

N4Footsoldier

5 hours ago, BraveheartGordon said:

This Scotland team has something, the first Scotland team in my life that don’t accept “glorious failure” a Scotland team that demands winning and never ever thinks they’re out of a game, I love this group of players and manager.

let’s do the business on Friday and give England a go.

Precisely. Good to see that some of our supporters realise where we are at the moment. We are on a winning run in qualifiers that could become record-breaking tomorrow night - that says a heck of a lot.

Clarke and the team have a mindset of strong belief and tightly-knit team ethics and plenty of talent so why should we be thinking: 'Oh crap we are playing the mighty England.' In the last two matches against them we have got draws and our team has been improved since then.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I feel confident against any side at Hampden to be honest. I think the Belgium 4-0 is the only time I can think of in recent times where we've been well and truly beaten at home, every other top side we've played has been a narrow loss at worst.
In the 2-2 qualifier I think some of the England players seemed genuinely a bit rattled by the atmosphere, especially the second half, which shows that you can play in the EPL every week and the Champions league but the Hampden atmosphere is something else.

53 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

This will anger some here but my estimation we go into these round of matches with a better run of results than England in competitive matches.

Scotland PLD 10 W 8 D 1 L 1

England PLD 10 W 7 D 2 L 1

Why would anyone be angry at stats?

If you go back 15 competitive games we have an even better record than they do.

I’m not sure it proves much though as they have played Italy, France and Germany in those games (although they have also played some dross as well). It certainly won’t mean much if they beat us on Tuesday.

Our record in our last 15 competitive games is very impressive though:

12 wins

2 losses

1 draw

The two defeats were terrible performances as well. Our recent record could have been ridiculously good (and we may even have went to a World Cup) if we had turned up in those games.

42 minutes ago, robbo cop said:

It's the Cyprus game on hat matters by a long shot. Not even thinking about a friendly v England yet.

Absolutely but there’s no harm in discussing the England game.

As long as the squad is only thinking about the Cyprus game that’s all that matters. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m not sure it proves much though as they have played Italy, France and Germany in those games (although they have also played some dross as well). It certainly won’t mean much if they beat us on Tuesday.

12 wins

2 losses

1 draw

The two defeats were terrible performances as well. Our recent record could have been ridiculously good (and we may even have went to a World Cup) if we had turned up in those games.

It was more to emphasise to those who feel it is an open and shut case that England will win. If Scotland fans cannot look forward to that fixture with a lot of hope and confidence after our recent run of form and results then we never will.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

19 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It was more to emphasise to those who feel it is an open and shut case that England will win. If Scotland fans cannot look forward to that fixture with a lot of hope and confidence after our recent run of form and results then we never will.

For the whole of my lifetime Scotland fans have always went into a game against England with hope - but also trepidation.

Maybe once or twice between 74 and 77 we had reasons to be confident but never were because in between there were 5 goal drubbings and that was during our "golden era"

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

There will always be negative people but our last 2 games have been draws in petty even games and both teams are in good form so I would say a draw is probably the most likely outcome. 

A win for either side wouldn’t surprise me though. England have a stronger squad but we are at home and the crowd could make the difference.

lf we win tomorrow night the players will be on a high and the crowd will be bouncing. Hopefully Ukraine can take something off England on Saturday to dent their confidence. We have an extra day to recover as well so that’s good as well.

To sum up -  I have no clue what’s going to happen.  😂

22 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

There will always be negative people but our last 2 games have been draws in petty even games and both teams are in good form so I would say a draw is probably the most likely outcome. 

A win for either side wouldn’t surprise me though. England have a stronger squad but we are at home and the crowd could make the difference.

lf we win tomorrow night the players will be on a high and the crowd will be bouncing. Hopefully Ukraine can take something off England on Saturday to dent their confidence. We have an extra day to recover as well so that’s good as well.

To sum up -  I have no clue what’s going to happen.  😂

Well lets just concentrate on the main prize - three points against Cyprus. That is key. The England game will take care of itself.

53 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well lets just concentrate on the main prize - three points against Cyprus. That is key. The England game will take care of itself.

Absolutely. I’m just glad the Cyprus game is first. I wouldn’t want the friendly first like Wales have. 

22 hours ago, csinclair said:

I think I feel confident against any side at Hampden to be honest. I think the Belgium 4-0 is the only time I can think of in recent times where we've been well and truly beaten at home, every other top side we've played has been a narrow loss at worst.
In the 2-2 qualifier I think some of the England players seemed genuinely a bit rattled by the atmosphere, especially the second half, which shows that you can play in the EPL every week and the Champions league but the Hampden atmosphere is something else.

We've been absolutely humped by Croatia, Czech Republic and Ukraine in the last few years.

6 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

We've been absolutely humped by Croatia, Czech Republic and Ukraine in the last few years.

Croatia & Czech Rep a bit different since it was Euros allocation Covid crowd as opposed to a packed Hampden full of Scots. Also wouldn't say we were humped by Czech Rep, we were the better team and just couldn't put away our chances.

The Ukraine game I try not to think about....

On 9/7/2023 at 1:39 PM, Texas Pete said:

12 wins

2 losses

1 draw

Apparently, we've won ten qualifying group matches (ie. qualifiers not including play-offs) in a row.

Since Euro 2020, we've played eighteen competitive matches, won fourteen, drew one and lost three (scored 31, conceded 13).

Can't imagine there are many sides with a better record than that.

Our friendly record is atrocious though - of our last fifteen: won two, drawn four, lost nine (scored 10, conceded 24). The wins were Hungary and Luxembourg (both 1-0). I'd rather our friendly record being crap than our competitive record mind.

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

England, on paper, are far superior to us and could win the euros.  Depends how up for it they are - we are playing well just now.

That’s an amazingly insightful post. Thanks for sharing that with us. Keep an eye on your phone. I think the BBC might have a job for you. 👍

England, on paper, are far superior to us and could win the euros.  Depends how up for it they are - we are playing well just now.

They’ll hopefully have a hard shift against Ukraine tomorrow and will likely rest some key players on Tuesday. We’ll never have a better chance to beat them. 

Sure, and this is an ideal chance for you to view your fave international team in the flesh at Hampden while waving your union jack and cheering on the British. What a fuckin melt you are Malcolm. The wording of your message illustrates that.

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Spoken like a true downtrodden ‘Scot’ who has no belief in themselves or the capabilities of their fellow countrymen!!

Let me guess, we can only win this game if we’re at our very best and England have an off night!! 😆…..which means we can never truly win in your eyes!!

Deary me, what a bleak, depressing outlook to have!!

Think these boys have it in them to deliver the first Hampden win over them since 85 . 
they have their best squad ever and I like more of their guys than ever. Rashford, Foden , Saka , Bellingham just to start . Thankfully football is a 16 man game at least . And I believe the coach is the key and we have a really good one. 

can’t remember the last English coach that impressed me since Clough. Piss poor management is their biggest problem.

this could be a real classic.