England Squad - Do we have anything to fear? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

England Squad - Do we have anything to fear?

N4Footsoldier

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Never said anything about only wanting to beat england,I want to beat anybody we play.They all matter to me but as you say you are welcome to your opinion.

I want us to win every game as well but if you offered me a victory against Cyprus and a defeat to England I would snap your hand off.

Beating Cyprus will more or less book our place at a major tournament. Beating England would get us absolutely nothing  except the enjoyment of beating England. 

If we don’t beat Cyprus our players will be very deflated and I wouldn’t rule out an absolute pumping off England. 

I can’t really be arsed with friendlies in general but if we beat Cyprus I’ll be looking forward to going to the England game and hopefully we can beat them. It’s been a while. 

12 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I want us to win every game as well but if you offered me a victory against Cyprus and a defeat to England I would snap your hand off.

Beating Cyprus will more or less book our place at a major tournament. Beating England would get us absolutely nothing  except the enjoyment of beating England. 

If we don’t beat Cyprus our players will be very deflated and I wouldn’t rule out an absolute pumping off England. 

I can’t really be arsed with friendlies in general but if we beat Cyprus I’ll be looking forward to going to the England game and hopefully we can beat them. It’s been a while. 

5 minutes ago, thesaint said:

😝

Agree that if we can pump Cyprus then how sweet would it be to beat that mob at Hampden.Icing on the cake comes to mind.

3 points against Cyprus and 3-0 up against England when news of a draw in Oslo filters through is the dream scenario. 

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Very good points. If we look back to circa 2007, we had a really good core of 13 or 14 players. But just a couple of injuries or suspensions was disastrous. A quick google check shows that Hutton, McCulloch, Brown and Hartley were all missing for that fateful night in Georgia. Resulting in us playing Murty and Pearson, with a threadbare bench. If we'd had the depth we do now back then, who knows what might have been.

Nowadays, we have loads of talent that can't even get in the squad.

almost as bad as calling up a couple of 16/17 year olds ...... ?

I really couldn't give a fuck about this England game - anniversary, rivalry etc whatever. Unless its a qualifier or a game at a tournament ; I really hate playing them, the endless hype, how patronising they are (in general) ''plucky Scots never an easy game,'' etc.

Roll on Cyprus that's the only game I care about.

4 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

I really couldn't give a fuck about this England game - anniversary, rivalry etc whatever. Unless its a qualifier or a game at a tournament ; I really hate playing them, the endless hype, how patronising they are (in general) ''plucky Scots never an easy game,'' etc.

Roll on Cyprus that's the only game I care abou

Why do you have to make the distinction between games?Can't understand it at all.Of course we are all desperate to win the Cyprus game, but once that's done let's pump england. Surely that would be the perfect scenario? 

14 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

3 points against Cyprus and 3-0 up against England when news of a draw in Oslo filters through is the dream scenario. 

Think I'd just have to end it all if this happens, as life's never getting any better than that 😁

2 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

Yeah I’m not a huge fan of playing them in friendlies either but the game is happening and I’d much prefer to win it than lose it but if we lose it really doesn’t matter. They have won both of our recent friendlies and the world didn’t end. 

A win in Cyprus is all that matters this month. 

2 hours ago, thesaint said:

You're just getting greedy now. 😄👍

😂 I don’t think for a minute that things will pan out that way. 

I think we’ll win in Cyprus, draw with England and Norway will beat Georgia then it will be on to next month (or more realistically November) to try and secure the 2 points we’d need to qualify. 

On 9/2/2023 at 11:14 AM, weekevie04 said:

Like when we're reported on the likes of BBC Breakfast, and they do the report like they're saying 'ahhh, little ol' Scotland won a game last night, how sweet'. 🙄

3 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Getting to the question in hand, I'm not sure the last time I thought this, but I don't fear any team ATM. I feel we could give anyone a game, especially with the midfield we have

That is a result of us winning plenty of games of a similar standard lately in crunch games against Spain, Denmark, Ukraine and against dangerous opponents such as Norway (away).

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

That is a result of us winning plenty of games of a similar standard lately in crunch games against Spain, Denmark, Ukraine and against dangerous opponents such as Norway (away).

Dead right but still doesn't explain why my arse is going at the thought of playing Cyprus on Friday 😁

Can I just check something?

Are we now so good that it’s become cool and de rigueur to say we don’t give a shit about playing against England? 
As for it being a friendly, I’m 57 and barring 6 matches, every time we’ve played them in my lifetime it’s been a friendly. Didn’t seem to matter back in the 70s. 

Edited by Marky

8 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

It'll be a comfortable win 👍

Weird as it sounds, of the 4 games so far I've felt that the Spain game was the most comfortable, even the 3-0 Cyprus game was nervy until those 2 late Mctominay goals

15 minutes ago, todd said:

Weird as it sounds, of the 4 games so far I've felt that the Spain game was the most comfortable, even the 3-0 Cyprus game was nervy until those 2 late Mctominay goals

I think it was probably the expectation of beating the Cypriots and needing to get points on the board straight off, that it felt nervy. We're on such a roll now, I even think we'll pick something up in Spain too 

32 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

I think it was probably the expectation of beating the Cypriots and needing to get points on the board straight off, that it felt nervy. We're on such a roll now, I even think we'll pick something up in Spain too 

I absolutely love your optimism mate, I so hope you're proved right👍