Team For Tuesday Night - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team For Tuesday Night

The Black Bra

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ghorne67 said:

If Tierney is fit I hope to god we're not considering going with 5 at back at home to Georgia. It's such a negative tactic against 'lesser' teams and completely restricts our ability to play through the lines and dominate in the attacking third.

Get an extra attacking midfielder on from the start, move Robertson up to LM/LW and let's get this game won. 

It's only a negative tactic if used negatively. 

If its used with both full backs essentially being wingers then it's positive. 

59 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

5 with Tierney can be more attacking then a back 4. 

Our wing backs will push forward and Tierney steps into midfield / left wing when we have the ball. Makes it difficult to defend against as who marks the centre back overlapping the wing back?

Having 4 at the back makes things much more predictable. I would be more confident with us scoring with Tierney in a 5 than with 2 up top in a traditional 442

Bang on.

13 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I would probably play Patterson if he is fully fit. Maybe play Armstrong instead of Christie, but happy enough with either. No need to change too much unless somebody has picked up any wee niggling injury.

Not for me. 
Kvaratskhelia is their primary threat so I’d rather have the best defender in that position. We have plenty of other attacking options and whilst he’s probably not as good as Patterson in that respect, Hickey isn’t exactly a slouch either. 

I would like to see mclean given another chance off the bench in this match.

The guy turns up for every squad despite knowing he definitely wont start and puts in a hard shift.

He deserves a bit more gametime given his contributions to the cause in recent years and i am chuffed for him that he will probably be going to germany.

Edited by mccaughey85

4 hours ago, Marky said:

Not for me. 
Kvaratskhelia is their primary threat so I’d rather have the best defender in that position. We have plenty of other attacking options and whilst he’s probably not as good as Patterson in that respect, Hickey isn’t exactly a slouch either. 

As much as I rate Hickey, I think Patterson is a better defender. Hickey (and Robertson) were beaten too easily a few times the other night. We can’t afford to let crosses fizz across our 6 yard box at that level. 

4 hours ago, Marky said:

Not for me. 

Didn't realise just how good he is. probably one of the main reasons Napoli won Serie A by a street.

Hoprfully he isn't as good with lesser players around him

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

The guy turns up for every squad despite knowing he definitely wont start and puts in a hard shift.

He deserves a bit more gametime given his contributions to the cause in recent years and i am chuffed for him that he will probably be going to germany.

Perfect example of a guy commited to the cause. Never let us down anytime he has been involved. Good solid player and techically very good. Also has a great penalty record in important games and keeps the ball well when we are under pressure. Not a fashionable player but i have always liked him. 

4 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

I’m sure he’ll come on at some point. Hopefully we’ll be comfortably ahead midway through the second half and Clarke can make some changes then to freshen up the midfield as the players who start will probably need to put in a hard shift. 

6 hours ago, runningtings said:

It'll be the same team apart from maybe Gilmour coming in somewhere, only in this game Hickey and Tierney will be encouraged to get forward.

I’m not convinced it will be the same team or even just Gilmour coming in. Will depend on how everyone recovers after Saturday I suppose.

Even if Teirney is fine I doubt we’ll get any more than an hour out of him so Clarke could consider a formation change and decide to bring him on later. 

Moving to a back 4 is the only way I can see Gilmour starting as which midfielder from Saturday would Clarke drop for him?

I would like to see Ferguson get involved at some point and maybe Nisbet or Shankland getting a run out at some point but can’t see any of them starting. 

One thing that I havent seen mentioned is that Georgia will be thinking that they have a chance of qualifying. They have started with a good point against Norway and a win away to Cyprus. A win for them tomorrow night put them right into the mix with us still having to play them at home.

This isnt going to be a walkover tomorrow night.

55 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

One thing that I havent seen mentioned is that Georgia will be thinking that they have a chance of qualifying. They have started with a good point against Norway and a win away to Cyprus. A win for them tomorrow night put them right into the mix with us still having to play them at home.

Georgia have still to play Spain (and the group leaders 😃) twice so they are in bit of a false position I think but aye if they get a decent result tomorrow night they’ll begin to fancy the job. 

I don’t think it will be easy either but if we can’t beat the pot 4 team at home after beating the pot 1 team at home and pot 3 team away then it will be a bit of a concern. 

As long as we play well we should win. 

2-0 Scotland. Calling it now. 

7 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Georgia have still to play Spain (and the group leaders 😃) twice so they are in bit of a false position I think but aye if they get a decent result tomorrow night they’ll begin to fancy the job. 

I don’t think it will be easy either but if we can’t beat the pot 4 team at home after beating the pot 1 team at home and pot 3 team away then it will be a bit of a concern. 

As long as we play well we should win. 

2-0 Scotland. Calling it now. 

Spot on. 

We have won (I believe)six of our last seven home qualifying games beating better sides than Georgia in that run. People should watch highlights of Georgia's win over Cyprus whete Cyprus hit the woodwork twice and conceded the winner in the dying minutes.

I think the team for tomorrow night depends very much on how the players recovery has gone. 

Very difficult to peak twice in 4 days, especially after playing in that heat on Saturday.

Id be all for freshening it up a little to get more legs back into the team, but ulimately, Steve Clarke will be the best judge of that after training today.

10 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

I think if our Euros squad was announced tomorrow, he'd definitely be in the 26 man squad. However, our squad is being upgraded every other month, it seems. Who knows who else will force their way in. He's probably propelled himself above Ryan Jack now though. 

I've got a sneaking suspicion Clarke might do exactly what he did last time and call up some relatively inexperienced youngsters because they are simply the most talented. I can see Doak being a wildcard inclusion for that reason.

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I don’t think it will be easy either but if we can’t beat the pot 4 team at home after beating the pot 1 team at home and pot 3 team away then it will be a bit of a concern 

We are the team that managed to beat a pot 1 team home and away, but lose to the pot 6 team home and away. Anything is possible!

2 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

We are the team that managed to beat a pot 1 team home and away, but lose to the pot 6 team home and away. Anything is possible!

Very true but we were generally terrible in that campaign the Croatia games aside. 

Since we are doing very well so far I am going to forget all about our previous disasters and go into this one full of confidence. 

That could all change in around 19 hours if things don’t go to plan. 

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

No that was a totally different team, different manager, different team spirit and work ethic. It is like trying to compare the Leeds title winning team with the one that just got relegated - no comparison.

7 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Can't find it anywhere (probably looking in wrong place) but do Georgia have a guaranteed play off spot? They finished top of Group C ahead of Bulgaria and Macedonia.