Season 22/23 - Page 32 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

12 hours ago, dandydunn said:

It seemed to work well at Fir Park, but don’t expect that every week. 

Seemed a long delay in Aberdeen second goal when everyone could see there was no infringement at all amd the 5 minutes injury time seemed excessive for little stoppages in the game, I assume that was for var checks, which if it’s a fiesty game, we could be looking nearer 5 o’clock before we leave grounds 🤷🏼‍♂️

I think aberdeen got lucky at the end of the match. Motherwell should have had a penalty after the liability Antony Stewart was pulling the Motherwell forward to the ground

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, thplinth said:

True but at a massive cost and especially if net-net the official decision making is not much better. And that massive cost was to footballs dynamism, its flow. VAR made football like American football with these long pauses every few minutes (very suitable for future advertising breaks BTW). 

Previously football was not like that it was far more dynamic and the ref did not substantially interfere with that. VAR gives teams breathers where before they would have been run ragged... It changed the whole dynamic of football. And that is what everyone said it would do.

However we were told it would be worth it.

It wasn't and isn't.

I would use 'VAR' to weed out bent refs but after the fact. They'd soon get the message it was not worth it anymore and clean up their act IMHO.

I disagree with yoru NFL comparison, I know your using it for effect but its a bit OTT.

I know VAR has its faults bit I don't believe it has failed. It's worked perfectly in some cases and has also added to the drama. One of the best examples I can give us our match against Israel. VAR added to the entertainment and thank fuck it intervened with the Dykes goal. It was like celebrating a goal twice. 

It's early days I know but I was one of the most cynical about the introduction of VAR I believed we would still see refs favour the big two but yesterday it didn't. The one mistake I've seen so far is VAR not intervening in the Aberdeen game which would likely have given Motherwell a last minute penalty. 

8 hours ago, slasher said:

I get what you are saying about hand ball pens in general but really? Of all the hills to die on this isn’t the one. He has enough time to turn his body and move his arm towards the ball to block a pass and what’s more when you look at his body language afterwards he knows what he’s just done!

Seriously man, it’s one thing trying to play devils advocate it’s another to defend nonsense like this. 

While we’re at it, what’s your opinion on the refs decision to review and upgrade the Livi players yellow to a red? Was that a clear and obvious error that required a VAR review?

I'm sure if Livi were 1 up at Ibrox that the ref would be "invited" to have another look at a similar challenge by Lundstram.  Aye right.  Maybe if the ref was shagging the VAR ref's missus.

As for the Celtic game - definite penalty for Hearts, should've been a definite penalty for Celtic.  Ralston's "goal" - the ref did blow really early so I can see why that wasn't given.

8 hours ago, slasher said:

I get what you are saying about hand ball pens in general but really? Of all the hills to die on this isn’t the one. He has enough time to turn his body and move his arm towards the ball to block a pass and what’s more when you look at his body language afterwards he knows what he’s just done!

Seriously man, it’s one thing trying to play devils advocate it’s another to defend nonsense like this. 

While we’re at it, what’s your opinion on the refs decision to review and upgrade the Livi players yellow to a red? Was that a clear and obvious error that required a VAR review?

Only caught the 2nd half of Rangers game but I thought the Livi red card was wrong. My understanding of VAR is that everything is being looked at throughout the game so ive no problem with a small pause for them to check the tackle but in my opinion it wasnt even a red far less a clear and obvious error. 

I dont think there was the required force. The foot was outstretched and at one freeze frame you could show it being high which I imagine is how they will justify it but anybody who has played the game can see the actual impact happens just above the ankle.

On a plus side for VAR, Hibs would have been awarded an offside penalty on Friday night and Aberdeens 1st goal wouldnt have stood without VAR so its correctly wrong decisions. Personally id limit technology to goal line, offsides and then off the ball incidents. Ie something no official has seen at the time.

16 hours ago, Marky said:

St. Mirren had a goal disallowed controversially by VAR today. Fortunately it didn’t cost us. 

Watching Sportscene that was the only time I thought the VAR made a poor call. Hopefully more common sense will be applied on these occasions in future as the refs get more experienced with it.

On holiday this weekend so missed the Killie game, it will be interesting to experience what it's like to sit through in the SPFL.

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

St mirren fans must be loving this season so far. 4th in the league equal on points with Aberdeen.

Weren't at our best yesterday but we hit the bar, the post twice and a perfectly good goal disallowed thanks to VAR. Did more than enough to see off a pretty poor United side.

Was important to prove in recent weeks to build on that Celtic result. If we want to make a statement about our intentions of hanging around the top 4 then getting a result at Easter Road next Saturday is a must

10 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Only caught the 2nd half of Rangers game but I thought the Livi red card was wrong. My understanding of VAR is that everything is being looked at throughout the game so ive no problem with a small pause for them to check the tackle but in my opinion it wasnt even a red far less a clear and obvious error. 

I dont think there was the required force. The foot was outstretched and at one freeze frame you could show it being high which I imagine is how they will justify it but anybody who has played the game can see the actual impact happens just above the ankle.

The VAR doesn't look at every decision but will highlight potential red cards. TBF even David Martindale thought it was the correct call.

14 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

The Hearts handball is flicked up at very close range, Hearts players arms are down and although not right against his side but by no means outstretched. Have seen them given but equally more often than not they arent.

Yep I thought the call was sensible, it was ball to hand with no intent.

If I were on the board of IFAB I'd make referees' lives easier by having handball incidents punished with an indirect free kick (other than intentional punching or catching).

15 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

The VAR doesn't look at every decision but will highlight potential red cards. TBF even David Martindale thought it was the correct call.

But to highlight potential red cards it looks at everything.

Ie just because the game hasnt stopped or the ref hasnt went to the monitor doesnt mean VAR hasnt looked at it. They have but then decided either to not inform the ref, as there is nothing to inform or have just said to the ref through the earpiece, nothing to see here.

One of the big misconceptions with VAR for fans is that some incidents are looked at and others arent which is wrong. VAR can only intervene in certain circumstances but it looks ar everything, its like the all seeing eye. 

1 hour ago, King Of Paisley said:

Weren't at our best yesterday but we hit the bar, the post twice and a perfectly good goal disallowed thanks to VAR. Did more than enough to see off a pretty poor United side.

Was important to prove in recent weeks to build on that Celtic result. If we want to make a statement about our intentions of hanging around the top 4 then getting a result at Easter Road next Saturday is a must

I think we need to start a “Mighty St Mirren” thread.

Although I fear it would only be you, me, Marky and TDYER63 who would post on it. ( and the latter is a wummin, so wit does she know ) 👀

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

St mirren fans must be loving this season so far. 4th in the league equal on points with Aberdeen.

Certainly delighted to be sitting in 4th place, but not sure about the Aberdeen reference. We finished 3 points above them last season. 

I'm all for using the technology

If it takes 10 seconds or 10 minutes to reach the correct decision, more often than not, so be it

Other sports embrace it perfectly well, whereas in football, there appears to be sections (National Associations / Fans of the bigger clubs / Media) that want it to fail / not be used

*No shite or irony intended above 👍

8 minutes ago, Marky said:

Certainly delighted to be sitting in 4th place, but not sure about the Aberdeen reference. We finished 3 points above them last season. 

Marky - I think it was a compliment given how much money we have spent - That's how I read it anyway 👍

5 hours ago, Redz said:

I'm all for using the technology

If it takes 10 seconds or 10 minutes to reach the correct decision, more often than not, so be it

Other sports embrace it perfectly well, whereas in football, there appears to be sections (National Associations / Fans of the bigger clubs / Media) that want it to fail / not be used

*No shite or irony intended above 👍

my issue with it ; from day one , its the ref himself that has to run over to a portable tv with everyone watching and second guess his own call he just made ..... and the ramifications (intense pressure)of that = as opposed to independent "panel" or whatever off screen , like TMO ? in rugby union , and in most other sports (was NHL hockey on pub last night - and goal was chopped off for offside/blue line infringement )

3 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

my issue with it ; from day one , its the ref himself that has to run over to a portable tv with everyone watching and second guess his own call he just made ..... and the ramifications (intense pressure)of that = as opposed to independent "panel" or whatever off screen , like TMO ? in rugby union , and in most other sports (was NHL hockey on pub last night - and goal was chopped off for offside/blue line infringement )

I can see your point, and perhaps that's exactly what should happen in football too

They don't need to second guess themselves though, I'd see it as more of an opportunity to see if they made a mistake in the first place

17 hours ago, morrie21 said:

Was in the boozer with a couple of Rangers supporting mates yesterday. They were both of the opinion the Van Bronckhurst is finished and will be getting his books sooner rather than later at Ibrox. Any Rangers fans on here got any thoughts on this?

It seems ridiculous to suggest a manager who took us to a European final 6 months ago should be under pressure.  However it seems to me that the European run was papering over the cracks of some very mediocre performances in the league and that has only got worse as we've progressed in to this season.  We are unbelievably dull to watch at the moment and seem to be going through the motions in every match.  As much as the manager needs to take his share of the blame for that the board and in particular Ross Wilson are culpable too.  The squad is really stale, summer recruitment was poor (Colak and Lawrence aside) and the ridiculous saga with Kent and Morelos's contracts is a further distraction we don't need.  They should either have had the contract situation sorted in the summer or sold.  We now face the distinct possibility of 2 players we could have got a combined £20M for in the summer leaving for nothing.

I'd like it work out for Gio, he seems like a nice guy, but I'm just not seeing anything from his demeanour or his tactics that shows me he can turn the form around.  I fear another spanking from Napoli midweek (4+) and if that is coupled with dropped points against Aberdeen it'll be very tough for him to come back from that.