Pre-Tournament Plans - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Pre-Tournament Plans

One month tomorrow we will kick off Euro 2024.  Germany will be hosting 51 matches in Ten different cities, with the final contested on July 14th.  As a comparison, the last EURO's had 142 goals, with an average of 2.78 goals per game with Italy being the eventual winners over England winning by penalties.

Shall Italy defend their title, or shall they lose to a resolute Scottish side in the knockout round? Time will tell.

Scotland will have three matches at least, Germany on June 14th, Switzerland on June the 19th and then against Hungary on June 23rd. 

Four of six 3rd place teams shall advance to the knockout phase. Shall Scotland make history in Germany? We have every reason to hope and believe we can. 

What are your hopes, fears and aspirations for this summer, what pre-tournament festivities are you getting up to and what are your plans to take in our matches, maybe you're even going to see us in Munich, Cologne or Stuttgart, let us know below.  Share pics, lets get pumped 

4 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

One month tomorrow we will kick off Euro 2024.  Germany will be hosting 51 matches in Ten different cities, with the final contested on July 14th.  As a comparison, the last EURO's had 142 goals, with an average of 2.78 goals per game with Italy being the eventual winners over England winning by penalties.

Shall Italy defend their title, or shall they lose to a resolute Scottish side in the knockout round? Time will tell.

Scotland will have three matches at least, Germany on June 14th, Switzerland on June the 19th and then against Hungary on June 23rd. 

Four of six 3rd place teams shall advance to the knockout phase. Shall Scotland make history in Germany? We have every reason to hope and believe we can. 

What are your hopes, fears and aspirations for this summer, what pre-tournament festivities are you getting up to and what are your plans to take in our matches, maybe you're even going to see us in Munich, Cologne or Stuttgart, let us know below.  Share pics, lets get pumped 

Should maybe change the last 3 words 😱

5 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I don't think Italy will defend their title, France are favourites with England a close 2nd IMO. Till today I haven't given much thought to where I Will watch the games, I Wont be in Germany, it's likely I will watch it in London. There will be scotland fans congregating somewhere in London and its usually a decent atmosphere. 

hopes - getting passed the first round and then just enjoy the ride

Fears - I am a scotland fan, we all share the same fear, another embarrassing exit......one of the two shite 3rd place teams would be classic Scotland 😂

Will share pics during the matches

I see your glass is half full, but joking aside I do see how that could be misunderstood.  I can't edit it anymore. 

It should be understood as "Let's get excited and fired up".

Posted (edited)

Italy had an extremely unconvincing qualifying campaign but a poor qualifying run while still getting your name in the hat doesn't necessarily mean you can't have a good tournament. 

Realistically 3points and an acceptable goal difference these days is enough to advance. That's 1 win and 2 losses so long as you don't ship a load of goals in those. That won't be lost on Clarke should we find ourselves trailing in games 1 and 2 when you might normally want to go all out to equalise.

Portugal won Euro 2016 having not won a game in the group stage.

Edited by N4Footsoldier
extra info

I've said before, in my opinion France are the favourites based on pure squad quality, quite closely followed by England so long as their best players get deployed in the right scenarios.

The winner of the tournament will be the team that can navigate difficult knockout rounds against extremely well organized sides that will be playing for penalty kicks in games that don't need to be won in 90mins. That is not necessarily going to be the best team at the tournament.

Italy won't defend their title. Will opt for France to beat England in the final.

My expectations have been lowered in the ladt few months by injuries to key players and our run of form but will still go to Germany with hope of us getting out of our group for the first time at a major tournament.

I will leave for Germany four weeks tomorrow and will be staying in Munich, Berlin and stopovers in Cologne and Stuttgart and have tickets to all three games. Will extend my stay if weget through to the knockout stages.

Its just great to be involved and not watching without any interest at home on TV.

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I don't think Italy will defend their title, France are favourites with England a close 2nd IMO. Till today I haven't given much thought to where I Will watch the games, I Wont be in Germany, it's likely I will watch it in London. There will be scotland fans congregating somewhere in London and its usually a decent atmosphere. 

hopes - getting passed the first round and then just enjoy the ride

Fears - I am a scotland fan, we all share the same fear, another embarrassing exit......one of the two shite 3rd place teams would be classic Scotland 😂

Will share pics during the matches

I know what you meant, couldn’t resist some mock shock 😜

Posted (edited)

Last EURO's I was just coming off the back of 5 months of unemployment and I had just started my current job.  I was not able to fully take in all our matches because I had to work.  This time it's different, I have taken the appropriate days off work.  In the buildup I have bought flag bunting, so I'll decorate the front room along with our Saltires and Rampant's. I am a Scotland top collector, currently I have 42, every one released since 1986, I have a few knock offs and I would scour ebay for bargains once new one's were released.  I have a ladder that I will decorate with the addition of one jersey a day in the run up to Christmas..I mean EURO's, 30 days of 30 jerseys. I've made and shared a EURO playlist on YouTube, the link is on here somewhere.  I fully intend to eat, drink and be merry as much as possible. I hope to have friends and family over to watch our matches.  If I can find a bar where our matches will be played and I can be loud, then I will venture out, but I'll likely go see some other EURO matches where I am not worried about the channel being switched over to an NBA pay off match, if they did some travesty to one of ours, I don't know what I would do. 

My dreams are we make the second round at least, my hopes are we go into the last match against Hungary with a chance and disappointment would be something I'll keep unspoken. 

I bought a 1990 repro White shell suit top that I am hoping arrives in time

Edited by romanticscot

I hope all those over in Germany will still have the time to share their thoughts on here. Can't make it sadly so would appreciate the ongoing analysis hot off the press! It might be the best of the Scottish coverage available 😋The wee man has a Hungarian pal so hope to watch that game with his family too. 

Posted (edited)

Tickets for all 3 Scotland games. Staying in Augsburg, Leverkusen and Stuttgart with a big group of us from Guernsey. Can’t wait. Went to Italia 90 and France 98 but this is first time seeing Scotland in the Euros. Hoping for at least one of best 3rd place teams and a win or two would be nice. Before then hoping no further injuries especially to key players. McGinn looked to be in some discomfort in that first half there. Rib injury. Hopefully not a break. Out for second half so must be ok. 

Edited by GHfaeGTA

Tournament winners & predictions - Think it’s either between France & dare I say… England to win it with Portugal as 3rd favourites. Can’t see any of the of the others touching those 3. Also cannot see Germany being anywhere near as bad as they’ve been. Looks like they managed to find a system that works and a starting lineup that can play that system as a team in the most recent international break in March.

For Scotland - It’s more in hope than expectation. If we had our strongest squad available then I’d really fancy us to get runners up or qualify as one of the 4 best 3rd placed nations but right now, I’m not too sure as I was previously. Missing both our first choice RB’s and the huge gap in quality between those two and the possible replacements gives me the fear. I’m sure it’s giving Clarke a lot to think about on who he is going to play in that position. The Germany game is a free hit for me. It will be a bonus if we got a point or bagged a very unexpected win against the host nation on their back yard on the opening night but if we don’t get anything from that game then it’s not the end of the world. I’m more looking more towards the other two games that we must take points from - Switzerland & Hungary. 4 points from those two games is the target and if we achieve that, then it’s a very good possibility this Scotland team will have made history & be deservedly lauded for it by reaching the knockout rounds. Anything after that is a bonus.

Plans for the tournament - I depart Edinburgh en route to Germany early hours on Thursday 13th June (1 month today). Absolutely buzzing for my 1st ever major tournament would be an understatement & even moreso that I have tickets for our 3 group games! Staying in Munich till the 16th with my Dad who is coming with me on the 13th. He will head back home to Edinburgh on the 16th and I’ll be getting the train onto Cologne that same day & will be staying there till the 21st and then onto Stuttgart that day & staying there till the 25th. 

Will still to try post on here occasionally whilst in Germany & share a few pics/vids of the atmosphere around the area and of course inside the stadiums.

No tickets, going for atmosphere although hoping I might get a ticket, leaving Glasgow on 12th, ferry to Calais, driving to Bruges for 1 night , 2 nights in Augsburg, 2 nights in Koblenz, the 3 nights in Aachen, stomach turning as I am typing, surely we will get out of the group stage at last 🙏

1 hour ago, 86glebestreet said:

No tickets, going for atmosphere although hoping I might get a ticket, leaving Glasgow on 12th, ferry to Calais, driving to Bruges for 1 night , 2 nights in Augsburg, 2 nights in Koblenz, the 3 nights in Aachen, stomach turning as I am typing, surely we will get out of the group stage at last 🙏

Koblenz is a nice place, enjoy.

Watching from home unfortunately but looking forward to these finals far more than the last ones as these feel more like a proper finals (no covid restrictions, in one country etc) and we (were) performing much better in qualifying.

Hopes: We regain a bit of form and make it out the group.

Fears:  Usual Scottish ones 😂 just hope we don't disgrace ourselves.  Also we go to the finals with an extremely weakened right side of defence.  Fingers crossed Hickey makes it and can perform as required or, worst case, Ralston or McCrorie step up admirably.

I was in Paris, Bordeaux, and St Etienne during France 98. Never got a ticket for any games, but it was a brilliant experience.

This time around I’ve got tickets for all three matches in the group stage and cannot wait!

Will definitely be posting on here thoughts on Scotland matches, any top tips or experiences and looking for the occasional meet up (I’m in Augsburg on my tod when England play Serbia, for example).

I hope we’ll get beyond the group stage and feel we’ve got the players to achieve that. It’s also well within our capacity to make an arse of it.

Looking forward to making some new friends, as well as catching up with some very old ones.

Going over for the Switzerland & Hungary games with my Dad and can't wait. As for the Germany game, will be watching from Manchester, currently deciding on which pub.

Hard to gauge how we'll do. Having both Hickey & Patterson injured is a big blow. If we play like we did for the first hour against the Netherlands (but with better finishing) then I feel like we can get enough to get out of the group. If we play like the final half hour though then we'll finish bottom.

Posted (edited)

Countdown begins- One month to go. Today's top is the Home Jersey we wore to EURO 2020.  We wore this jersey in all three of our matches (England, Czech Republic and Croatia).

PXL_20240514_132351284_MP.jpg.28ab4f97b1d975de087becc37a689d97.jpg

Edited by romanticscot

2 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Will be in Munich with mates but not at the game. Got a single flight as hoping to get a Switzerland ticket, but nae luck so far. 

I hope you get one.