Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals - Page 31 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, aaid said:

Itā€™s way too cold tbh. I was at our game this afternoon and everyone was heading home to watch it rather than going to the pub.Ā 

Someone's told me the police have loved the World Cup being in winter as people either stay in the pub after matches or go straight home due to how cold it's been.

Edited by Clyde1998

Didn't watch the match but from what I can make of it, England simply found their level.

They are perennially over-rated; Kane over-rated. How many goals has he got from getting penalties? Sooner or later you're going to miss one.Ā 

Saw a clip with Ian Wright. I think he said 'he (almost) hit it too well'

Edited by exile

3 minutes ago, exile said:

Didn't watch the match but from what I can make of it, England simply found their level.

They are perennially over-rated; Kane over-rated. How many goals has he got from getting penalties? Sooner or later you're going to miss one.Ā 

England could have won, some diabolical defending from the French letting England back into the game.

6 minutes ago, exile said:

17; If he'd scored that penalty exactly a third of his England goals would've been penalties (18 of 54). I only count two goals he's scored in competitive matches against comparable or stronger opposition to England which weren't penalties.

6 minutes ago, bonzo said:

So, Southgate recons they competed well against one of the big teams......fifa rank England 5th in the World ffsĀ 

Part of their high rank is down to their qualifying record and favourable paths in recent tournaments (see the earlier discussion for their record against good teams in tournaments).

• 2018: 2nd in a group containing Belgium, Tunisia and Panama; R16: penalty win over Colombia; QF: 2-0 win over Sweden; SF: lost 2-1 to Croatia in extra time.
  • 2021: 1st in a group containing Croatia, Czech Republic and us; R16: 2-0 home win over a poor Germany side; QF: 4-0 win over a poor Ukraine; SF: 2-1 extra time win at home toĀ Denmark; Final: lose on penalties at home to Italy.
  • 2022: 1st in a group containing the USA, Iran and Wales; R16: 3-0 over Senegal; QF: lost 2-1 to France.

It's not been the most difficult path up to their recent exits. With our current squad, assuming everyone is fully fit and available, you'd be disappointed if we didn't at least compete against most of the sides England have beaten in their last three tournaments.