Steve Clarke Fuck Off - Page 25 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steve Clarke Fuck Off

kumnio

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Lol Billy Dodds and Gordon durie. That just illustrates my point about how poor our striking options were. 

Aye Doddsy wouldn't have been that much of an upgrade on who went to France, but he did end up being a decent option for us 

One I forgot to mention was Don Hutchinson, within a few months he was our main man up front, if only Brown had taken a punt on him earlier 🫤

34 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

What have the Romans ever done for us? 

I was going to say Diego Maradona, but have Napoli and Lazio mixed up.   A punchline only 140 miles  out is pretty good for me!

50 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Aye Doddsy wouldn't have been that much of an upgrade on who went to France, but he did end up being a decent option for us 

One I forgot to mention was Don Hutchinson, within a few months he was our main man up front, if only Brown had taken a punt on him earlier 🫤

Dare I say it, Hutchison was normally a midfielder. 

The sad thing about this is that since 1986 it has been replicated almost repeatedly

Scotland not turning up under Clarke isn't a new thing

Why do we need to keep digging back up this embarrassing thread title?

To be fair I've not seen much slander of Clarke on this thread but there are undertones of people losing their nut at a couple of friendly results.

Every international team has bad international windows now and again, the important thing is how the team respond, and as long as the "fans" don't start to pile on needless pressure facilitated by the gutter press ahead of a big tournament for their click rates.

The stat much banded about I'll repeat:

15 wins from 21 competitive games - the last 2 being dead rubber where we played with a threadbare squad

2 wins from 19 Friendlies

I'm not suggesting Clarke is anything like Berti Vogts, but the difference in approach and between friendlies and competitive games does have a certain similarity. Obviously Berti failed but he was the last manager before Clarke to take us anywhere near qualification.

20 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

After watching that you tube analysis of Ferguson the whole way through ( can't find who posted it but thanks for doing it), I now think we should build around Ferguson, even it means - leaving out Tierney or Robertson. He is the ideal no. 10 and should bring out the best in Shankland.  How about: 

Gunn: Hickey, Hanley, McKenna, Robertson/Tierney; Gilmour, McGregor; McTom, Ferguson, McGinn: Shankland.

What youtube analysis is this? Ferguson looked quite good the other night but building a team around him? I'm not sure. I would say that McGinn's form worries me as he's been consistently off it for a while for us. He's also captain of a side challenging for the top 4 so I can understand him not being as good in dead rubbers and friendlies.

I wouldn't want to drop Robertson but I don't think his place in Liverpool's starting XI is safe now and there's not much point in him attacking down the left for us if his crossing is like it was against the Netherlands. In fact, Tierney put in some good balls against NI so I prefer it when he goes forward.

27 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

What youtube analysis is this? Ferguson looked quite good the other night but building a team around him? I'm not sure. I would say that McGinn's form worries me as he's been consistently off it for a while for us. He's also captain of a side challenging for the top 4 so I can understand him not being as good in dead rubbers and friendlies.

I wouldn't want to drop Robertson but I don't think his place in Liverpool's starting XI is safe now and there's not much point in him attacking down the left for us if his crossing is like it was against the Netherlands. In fact, Tierney put in some good balls against NI so I prefer it when he goes forward.

Robo's starting place is nailed on at Liverpool, if you read their forums then they'll tell you how much they miss him when he is out the team and Tsimikas is nowhere near his level apart from his crossing ability. 

Ferguson video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPyxwWAD8d0&t=602s&ab_channel=OllieCopland

38 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Robo's starting place is nailed on at Liverpool, if you read their forums then they'll tell you how much they miss him when he is out the team and Tsimikas is nowhere near his level apart from his crossing ability. 

Ferguson video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPyxwWAD8d0&t=602s&ab_channel=OllieCopland

He's not been replaced by him. He's been dropped a few times for Gomez recently.

2 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Gomez was in because Roberston was injured for a while

2 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Gomez was in because Roberston was injured for a while

Thanks for the link. There were a couple of recent games with Gomez starting.  Could be Robertson's fitness which probably means he shouldn't have been called up. He's also 30 which is getting on for a FB. Hopefully ages like Kyle Walker

2 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

Thanks for the link. There were a couple of recent games with Gomez starting.  Could be Robertson's fitness which probably means he shouldn't have been called up. He's also 30 which is getting on for a FB. Hopefully ages like Kyle Walker

They are in a number of competitions and after being out so long, they will be managing his minutes i'm sure.

Gomez is more of a utily player and almost certain he has played CB and RB this season too so I won't read anything into this plus Tsimikas was out also hence why he started playing a few games.

Roberston has that natural fitness ability where he can run all day and hasn't had to deal with any real major injuries in his career so I think he will have good longevity. Also, playing careers last longer now and you see a lot of top players at big clubs playing well into their thirties these days.

4 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Why do we need to keep digging back up this embarrassing thread title?

To be fair I've not seen much slander of Clarke on this thread but there are undertones of people losing their nut at a couple of friendly results.

Every international team has bad international windows now and again, the important thing is how the team respond, and as long as the "fans" don't start to pile on needless pressure facilitated by the gutter press ahead of a big tournament for their click rates.

The stat much banded about I'll repeat:

15 wins from 21 competitive games - the last 2 being dead rubber where we played with a threadbare squad

2 wins from 19 Friendlies

I'm not suggesting Clarke is anything like Berti Vogts, but the difference in approach and between friendlies and competitive games does have a certain similarity. Obviously Berti failed but he was the last manager before Clarke to take us anywhere near qualification.

The difference between Vogts and Clarke is Vogts tried lots of different players during friendlies. Clarke seems hell bent on sticking by the same core group of settled players constantly. Probably too settled

4 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

The difference between Vogts and Clarke is Vogts tried lots of different players during friendlies. Clarke seems hell bent on sticking by the same core group of settled players constantly. Probably too settled

Fair comment, there is a trade off in internationals between trying all the talent out there available and getting a consistent, club-like mentality. The latter is harder to achieve in internationals and has been beneficial to date so I can see why he is continuing like this.

Our main squad depth-related issue (outside of certain positions) is the drop off between the first XI and the second string, which we have seen badly exposed at times. The issue with Berti in friendlies was his willingness to try out players who were clearly not international standard and hence would rarely be called up again, which hurt any benefit we could gain from those friendly international breaks and eventually affected consistency, back when friendlies were much more common.

1 hour ago, DoonTheSlope said:

This is the main issue I have with Clarke, he likes to stick with the same settled team and have that club mentality around the place. This has worked really well to date but there has been times where we have been found out and it's worked against us and some players are not being given any or enough time to break in

1 hour ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Fair comment, there is a trade off in internationals between trying all the talent out there available and getting a consistent, club-like mentality. The latter is harder to achieve in internationals and has been beneficial to date so I can see why he is continuing like this.

Our main squad depth-related issue (outside of certain positions) is the drop off between the first XI and the second string, which we have seen badly exposed at times. The issue with Berti in friendlies was his willingness to try out players who were clearly not international standard and hence would rarely be called up again, which hurt any benefit we could gain from those friendly international breaks and eventually affected consistency, back when friendlies were much more common.

Vogts probably managed us at our lowest regarding available players

loyalty to players is great but with Dykes and particularly Patterson out of form. Alternatives should be blooded surely. If Patterson plays like he did in the last two matches we are in deep trouble unless Hickey comes back  

Ralston has been in the squad for some time and should have played at some point. A lot of people don’t rate him but he can’t be any worse than Patterson was in the two friendlies  He might be second choice at Celtic but I doubt he would be behind the two geriatrics Patterson is at Everton 

Clarke tries nothing new during friendly games, yet his record in them is appalling. The NI game was an opportunity to at least do something different, yet all we witnessed was another central midfielder dominated piss poor performance.

There seems to be a notion that Clarke is untouchable amongst a number of fans, he isn't the messiah, he isn't brilliant, and he does do things that warrant criticism. I know that some people can't quite grasp that, but your loyalty toward him isn't replicated by everyone else.

When we do well under him, he gets praised, when we do poorly under him, he absolutely deserves criticism. We have three games in June to look forward to. If he gets it right, he will be a national hero, if it goes badly like the last Euros, then he will be due every single bit of criticism heading his way.

26 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Clarke tries nothing new during friendly games, yet his record in them is appalling. The NI game was an opportunity to at least do something different, yet all we witnessed was another central midfielder dominated piss poor performance.

There seems to be a notion that Clarke is untouchable amongst a number of fans, he isn't the messiah, he isn't brilliant, and he does do things that warrant criticism. I know that some people can't quite grasp that, but your loyalty toward him isn't replicated by everyone else.

When we do well under him, he gets praised, when we do poorly under him, he absolutely deserves criticism. We have three games in June to look forward to. If he gets it right, he will be a national hero, if it goes badly like the last Euros, then he will be due every single bit of criticism heading his way.

Tell you what lets keep this thread going until our next manager in is a Craig Levein-type and we go back to failing to qualify for major tournaments. There is no Ferguson, Water Smith or Jock Stein out there willing to take this job and certainly no foreign managers we can afford who want it and can do it.

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

I've yet to see anyone say he is beyond criticism and there's certainly nobody labelling him the messiah or untouchable. 

If he gets us passed this group in June......... he's definitely the messiah 😆 🤣 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

I've yet to see anyone say he is beyond criticism and there's certainly nobody labelling him the messiah or untouchable. 

If he gets us passed this group in June......... he's definitely the messiah 😆 🤣 

The issue is though that as soon as you offer any sort of constructive criticism of Clarke then you get called things like a troll etc by posters like yourself... 

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Tell you what lets keep this thread going until our next manager in is a Craig Levein-type and we go back to failing to qualify for major tournaments. There is no Ferguson, Water Smith or Jock Stein out there willing to take this job and certainly no foreign managers we can afford who want it and can do it.

That just ain't true though whatsoever and based on nothing at all.

I bet there will be a lot of well respected managers who would be interested in taking this job especially with the squad we have now

25 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

That just ain't true though whatsoever and based on nothing at all.

I bet there will be a lot of well respected managers who would be interested in taking this job especially with the squad we have now

Not disagreeing with you but give us a few names.