Starting 11 v Ukraine - Page 17 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Starting 11 v Ukraine

Malcolm

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

He offers much more than billy gilmour though 

Not in the role Gilmour's expected to play he isn't. Also we need to keep in mind, Gilmour is only 20 - younger players typically have less constancy than older players. He will hopefully learn from this.

I'd expect Ryan Jack would've started ahead of him, had he been available, though.

Och I'm over it already - Qatar is a plastic world cup and fuck spending thousands to camp in a portacabin in November in the middle of a desert drinking Coke in a country where analisation is illegal anyway. 

I'll be watching the business end of Strictly hosted in Blackpool by then counting down to my Christmas train coming out.

Edited by ThistleWhistle

Guest Scot1

1 McTominay should never play as a centre back again

2 We cannot play 2 in central midfield against good teams

This at the very least is what Clarke should take from tonight

Edited by Scot1

4 minutes ago, exile said:

Disappointing to go out at home that way.

Did the occasion get to the team? Shouldn't have. we've done well in some must win games recently

I think the 'Ukraineness' of the occasion got to them, not the occasion of a world cup play off.  You could see the body language of our players was just not right?

4 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

Not in the role Gilmour's expected to play he isn't. Also we need to keep in mind, Gilmour is only 20 - younger players typically have less constancy than older players. He will hopefully learn from this.

I'd expect Ryan Jack would've started ahead of him, had he been available, though.

Gilmour will be this generations eoin Jess where he will be termed young forever more and suddenly he is 29

what age does his age stop allowing him a free pass

Souness is an utter bellend with next to zero knowledge of our national team, why the fuck was he suddenly drafted in to this game?  Although Kris "In terms of" boyd is a close second on the bellend scale.

3 minutes ago, Debian said:

Clarke takes the blame for that.  

Who do you want him replaced with then ?

That quite obviously is where you were going with that.

2 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Gilmour will be this generations eoin Jess where he will be termed young forever more and suddenly he is 29

What utter pish.

We get it. You're upset Gilmour turned down Rangers but I'm afraid you'll just have to get over it.

1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

What utter pish.

We get it. You're upset Gilmour turned down Rangers but I'm afraid you'll just have to get over it.

Not sure where you get I am a rangers fan from , but nothing changes in that he vastly overrated and lacks the awareness both defensively and in an attacking sense .

I will watch his next loan move with interest

4 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Central midfielders tend to reach their peak around age 25 and their regular minutes years are between 24 and 30 (at the top level). Gilmour is still four years away from that!

age_dist-2.png

End of the day Clarke started pretty much every player people wanted to see.

Hickey came in....and struggled.

Gilmour just couldn't get into it.

McTominay started in position he's started in for vast majority of last 18 months.

Dykes was terrible and really has outlived his use, should not be starting key games anymore.

Adams tried his best and will chip in with goals but again on periphery of game.

Robbo looked like he sunk 10 pints in last 48 hours...oh wait.

Tierney big miss tonight.

1 minute ago, Tartan Chris said:

End of the day Clarke started pretty much every player people wanted to see.

Hickey came in....and struggled.

Gilmour just couldn't get into it.

McTominay started in position he's started in for vast majority of last 18 months.

Dykes was terrible and really has outlived his use, should not be starting key games anymore.

Adams tried his best and will chip in with goals but again on periphery of game.

Robbo looked like he sunk 10 pints in last 48 hours...oh wait.

Tierney big miss tonight.

That’s a pretty decent honest summary of the situation 

1 minute ago, Tartan Chris said:

Hickey came in....and struggled

First half without a doubt he was poor.

Second half he came into it and was more confident.

Hanley is the one player I'm starting to give up on. Just how many more chances do we give this guy ?

1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

First half without a doubt he was poor.

Second half he came into it and was more confident.

Hanley is the one player I'm starting to give up on. Just how many more chances do we give this guy ?

We have other options to at least try out. Like McKenna and Souttar.

25 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

Tactically inept in the first half, too many players simply didn't turn up, too many gaps in defence. Craig Gordon kept it from being 3-0 by half-time.

Ukraine were there for the taking tonight - that's the annoying thing. Their keeper looked awful, but we barely tested him. As was said in commentary, put the set plays towards the six yard box with how uncomfortable their keeper was - but we simply didn't do it. We were playing high crosses into the box with no-one who was realistically going to win the ball in air - only Dykes of our attacking players had a chance of winning his and he was gone by half-time.

Our two biggest weaknesses, centre-backs and strikers, combined to ensure we wouldn't win tonight. This feels like deja vu from the Czech Republic and Croatia games last summer: simply gave up too many good chances by being too open at the back, meaning our midfield had no hope of attempting to control the play, and couldn't score when we got chances. You cannot beat decent teams like that.

What next? Two games against Armenia and Ireland away. If we're any good, we should get seven points minimum from them. Armenia are typically a Pot 5 side - the sort we've traditionally dropped points against - and Ireland aren't a good side on paper right now - although have gone eight unbeaten (including home draws against Serbia, Portugal and Belgium).

Ukraine were never there for the taking ; even from the perspective that all their players were comfortable on the ball , at times they went through us like the proverbial hot knife through butter - i agree with the defence and forwards being pish - its been this way for a while - usually our midfield has been enough to bail us out, and our full backs of course -aside from Adams and Dykes being way out of their depth - we;re carrying at least 1 passenger when they're both on the field 

McGinns header summed it up for me ; one mans bad luck is anothers bad technique

Just now, bigfingers said:

We have other options to at least try out. Like McKenna and Souttar.

Aye, those two should definitely be given starts.

I'm sure big Hanley is a genuinely good bloke and he certainly always looks proud as a lion to play for Scotland but I think he is a huge liability. Other teams do their homework and know he is our weakest link.

16 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

What utter pish.

A manager can take the blame without losing his job...