Starting 11 v Ukraine - Page 16 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Starting 11 v Ukraine

Malcolm

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

We did start to play better in the last twenty-five minutes or so. If McGinn had scored that header we'd have been into extra time.

I don't know why there was so much emphasis on putting crosses into the box when their team are feckin giants and dealt with them easily.

Hickey looked way out of his depth in the first half but got better in the second half.

Hanley should be dropped. Something also is not right with McTominay and Dykes.

Would like to see Jacob Brown get a start and see what he can do.

Their goalie was a flapping haddie yet whenever we got a corner it was an outswinger. Why not let a right-footer take one and put him under pressure? 

4 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Get a grip.

I'm also upset we lost but that is just nonsense.

Agreed.

I'm often down on the team, especially after a loss, but we've just lost a World Cup play-off - that's the closest we've been in qualifying in decades. Signs of improvement are there.

36 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

How bad is that Ukrainian keeper.

Pity we didn't test him more!

Was it 4 shots on target?

Surely Wales will do more...

Edited by exile

I don't know why our defence were so happy to fanny about on the ball in our half during the first forty five minutes.

Anyone else notice Hickey (first half  - he was better second half) at least twice dribbling the ball back towards our own goal WTF was all that about ?

Guest Scot1

We have a very good squad, Clarke got the formation and some of the personnel wrong. 
I don’t think Clarke is tactically good enough at this level to get the best from this very good squad. 

6 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Get a grip.

I'm also upset we lost but that is just nonsense.

This is why the SFA have held onto power 

It's only nonsense if you are wearing a see you jimmy hat and going to games for the party

Just now, Scot1 said:

We have a very good squad, Clarke got the formation and some of the personnel wrong. 
I don’t think Clarke is tactically good enough at this level to get the best from this very good squad. 

Would you include our forward as good or even international quality 

Just now, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Anybody else still wondering why he was going to bring on Souttar at 92 minutes in?

Surely you would bring on Ross Stewart in that situation. 6'2 striker who's good in the air beats playing 3 CB's upfront.

No one of league one level would make a difference against better quality 

Tactically inept in the first half, too many players simply didn't turn up, too many gaps in defence. Craig Gordon kept it from being 3-0 by half-time.

Ukraine were there for the taking tonight - that's the annoying thing. Their keeper looked awful, but we barely tested him. As was said in commentary, put the set plays towards the six yard box with how uncomfortable their keeper was - but we simply didn't do it. We were playing high crosses into the box with no-one who was realistically going to win the ball in air - only Dykes of our attacking players had a chance of winning his and he was gone by half-time.

Our two biggest weaknesses, centre-backs and strikers, combined to ensure we wouldn't win tonight. This feels like deja vu from the Czech Republic and Croatia games last summer: simply gave up too many good chances by being too open at the back, meaning our midfield had no hope of attempting to control the play, and couldn't score when we got chances. You cannot beat decent teams like that.

What next? Two games against Armenia and Ireland away. If we're any good, we should get seven points minimum from them. Armenia are typically a Pot 5 side - the sort we've traditionally dropped points against - and Ireland aren't a good side on paper right now - although have gone eight unbeaten (including home draws against Serbia, Portugal and Belgium).

5 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

He offers much more than billy gilmour though 

No he doesn't. Gilmour has been one of our best players in the last year.

I realise you are upset that Gilmour declined a contract at your favourite club side in favour of a move to Chelsea but to hold such a grudge against him for that is ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

This is why the SFA have held onto power 

It's only nonsense if you are wearing a see you jimmy hat and going to games for the party

I was actually watching at home and wearing my everyday clothes. I also hate the SFA blazers and said for years that the Largs coaching setup was a lot of conservative, long ball shite.

We have a long way to go but to paint this as being up there with the disasters of the (late era) Craig Brown, Berti Vogts, George Burley and Mk. II Alex McLeish eras is ridiculous and needlessly melodramatic.

Guest Scot1
5 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Would you include our forward as good or even international quality 

Think I’ve been pretty consistent over Clarke term in pointing out his weaknesses in choice of formations and personnel. Tonight he got exposed. Don’t matter who’s playing up front.

1 minute ago, Scot1 said:

Tbh I said at the Euro's Clarke has done very well to bring back the unity and get us to a level to compete, but it seemed like the right time to move. 

Clarke obviously turned it around massively in the WC qualifying group and at times we played some great football but still struggled with a few things. Tonight though we very much reverted back to type.

Clarke has done enough to warrant continuing but if we have a poor nations league then questions would need to be asked. 

6 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Anybody else still wondering why he was going to bring on Souttar at 92 minutes in?

Surely you would bring on Ross Stewart in that situation. 6'2 striker who's good in the air beats playing 3 CB's upfront.

It can only be about aerial threat (albeit if he was going to bring him on, it would've needed to be long before 92 minutes). If we had got an equaliser, it would've allowed us to return to more of a standard shape for extra-time.

2 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

I’m 58 in September. I don’t think I’ll see Scotland qualify for a World Cup again. 

Within the next ten years I reckon.  We got beat by the occasion for me. Took us 60 minutes to kick them and took them 60 seconds kick us.

Mentality is an issue for us.

9 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I don't know why our defence were so happy to fanny about on the ball in our half during the first forty five minutes.

Anyone else notice Hickey (first half  - he was better second half) at least twice dribbling the ball back towards our own goal WTF was all that about ?

Keeping possession under pressure?

Disappointing to go out at home that way.

Did the occasion get to the team? Shouldn't have. we've done well in some must win games recently

Edited by exile