How Would You Approach Tuesday? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

How Would You Approach Tuesday?

weekevie04

If you were the coach, how would you set the team up for Tuesday?

It's not a 'free hit' at all, BUT, I do believe a draw wouldn't be the end of the world (if Denmark don't lose to Israel in Copenhagen). Although I wouldn't set out to play for the draw, or defensively like we did in Copenhagen. The only time we have set up cautiously and got something was the England game, even then we are more cavalier in these games, is it due it being a non-foreign opponent and playing in a stadium and against players we know from the EPL etc? 

I'd start a similarish line up to Saturday, and go for it. Soaking up pressure with our team will lead us to concede. We HAVE been here before. We went to Slovakia in the Nations League needing 1 pt out of 6 to win that group and choked. Slovakia at the time were on an awful run, they had won only once in 90 minutes in ten games! Austria whilst nowhere near as in the doldrums as the Slovaks were then, have just 9 goals in two games to Denmark and Israel and have two key players out for this, plus who knows what knocks they might have from Tel Aviv? They are a good side, and underperforming at present, we seen them in the Euros and they pushed Italy all the way in the last sixteen! So from an Austrian perspective, probably a perfect time to play Scotland and put us to the sword 2-0. 

Havering on, but we have a huge chance on Tuesday to pretty much knock them out, and make a huge cup final at Hampden against Israel. 

I've seen us feck up too many times in these circumstances, so I'm not getting ahead of myself.

Saying that, if we have as good players as some of us and the media think, then these are games we need to make a statement in and WIN. When did we last go abroad and win. A draw is not the end of the world, but let's change the script and go for it. 

We'd then have Israel (h) Faroes (a) followed by Moldova (a) and Denmark (h). 

Knowing us, we'll need to beat Denmark by 2 goals or something to get second, but how refreshing would it be if we had secured the playoffs by the Denmark game! 

I think we have to try and win although the main problem we don’t win many games against teams of our level and above .

We tend to only beat teams below us which needs to change.

The penalty shoot out wins I still see as draws .

I can see another safety first approach trying not to lose would probably be the end of the road. 

55 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I would be strong out the gate, they are fragile but also hurting with a heavy defeat.  The good news is their scoring record is worse than us.  Attack is the best form of defense, I would not play for draw that's for sure. 

True, but they do have Arnautovic back, who has a scoring record at international level our strikers can only dream of.

I'd play to win; it's too risky to try and shut down the game and play for a draw.  If we did draw though that wouldn't be a poor result at all.

YIp, aggressive approach. High press, don't sit off them and attempt to exploit their backline which has just been torched in Haifa. Most of the complaints about Clarke are he is too negative - if he gets beat being aggressive then no-one who has shouted out about negativity can eat his lunch for that. Fuck the naysayers and the negative ninnies, go for it and bring the win home Scotland.

1 hour ago, weekevie04 said:

Saying that, if we have as good players as some of us and the media think, then these are games we need to make a statement in and WIN. When did we last go abroad and win. A draw is not the end of the world, but let's change the script and go for it. 

Czech Rep and Cyprus. Before that it was San Marino and the manager got sacked straight after. 

History is not on our side in this one.

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

We've never beaten Austria in a competitive game away from Glasgow, so any win would be historic. 

In that case I'd definitely take a draw on Tuesday. 😂

I mind we drew with them in Austria during the France '98 qualifiers, and we had Duncan Ferguson and Ally McCoist up front that night!

^ I think that will be team - except Christie will start instead of Nisbet in midfield.
Should be obvious what we need to do.  Keep it tight and get in their faces.  Don't give them an inch.

I have no doubt we will create opportunities given quality of players in our team. 
Just need to make sure they hit back of net.

Edited by Haggis_trap

It’s a cliche but we need to be on the front foot from kick off and don’t let them settle.

We seem to give teams far too much respect and sit off them in away games so I think we need to be more positive.

I know recent performances and results haven’t been great but we actually have a decent set of players and if we play to our strengths and have some belief then we should really be competing against teams like Austria. 

A positive result will set us up nicely for the game at Hampden against Israel next month.

We need to have the belief we can score first, and if we go behind we can and must equalise.

We need to keep possession and minimise unforced errors.

And have a plan for set pieces - free kicks and corners. 

For this match I wouldn't be too fixated on finishing or making it a big thing; the players surely know what they have to do. Sooner or later surely the goals will come.

Edited by exile

I think we need to win and Austria are leaking goals defensively.

I’d play aggressively with Dykes and Adams as a front 2 and McGinn off them, go on the front foot from the off and try to score goals.

The group is technically alive if we don’t win but I think this is our opportunity and if we don’t take it we’ll miss out.

20 hours ago, csinclair said:

I'd set out like this and tell Nisbet, Dykes & McGinn to press their defenders right from the off to try force mistakes.

Screenshot 2021-09-06 at 15.53.11.png

This is my frustration with the system, it’s really difficult to press high because unless our wing-backs press onto the opposition wing backs/full-backs they can just pop it around our narrow front 2 and we have to drop off and pressing becomes impossible.

It’s why we look so passive in my opinion.

2 hours ago, BraveheartGordon said:

This is my frustration with the system, it’s really difficult to press high because unless our wing-backs press onto the opposition wing backs/full-backs they can just pop it around our narrow front 2 and we have to drop off and pressing becomes impossible.

It’s why we look so passive in my opinion.

Yep the 352 is a bag of shite basically when you have to do what we have to do to try and win, which is why usually we don’t. 

4 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Yep the 352 is a bag of shite basically when you have to do what we have to do to try and win, which is why usually we don’t. 

Where is our champion of 3 at the back when you need him?