Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 97 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

It seems he and Rory Wilson are currently playing for our u17s and both have scored with us 2-1 up at HT. 

Craig Moore, his Dundee United colleague, was also playing in this game. Also made his first team debut this season at Ibrox after recently turning 16. 3 16 year olds have played for United this season although Kerr Smith now sold to Villa. Youth certainly getting a chance at Tannadice with at least 8 teenagers playing in the 1st team

I don't understand why people keep knocking SOD. He came into a Scotland team when there was nobody in the squad playing rb. He turns up and has done a job for us and has played very well in some big games. I know we have better options now and we should use them but I wish people would stop slagging him. At the England game he new what a lot of fans were saying about him not being good enough but still managed to produce a great performance. 

7 hours ago, stitch said:

I don't understand why people keep knocking SOD. He came into a Scotland team when there was nobody in the squad playing rb. He turns up and has done a job for us and has played very well in some big games. I know we have better options now and we should use them but I wish people would stop slagging him. At the England game he new what a lot of fans were saying about him not being good enough but still managed to produce a great performance. 

I agree. Didn't look at all out-of-place in the England game, up against their much-vaunted attack. I think he adds a good balance to the team.

7 hours ago, stitch said:

Nothing like the home support getting behind one of their own. Who needs enemies when you have friends like this. 

I agree with what you say. Does he have limitations, absolutely but gives his all and thats all you can ask. You cant have a go that the guy was the best in that position but wasnt good enough thats not his fault. 

Its also arguable that Patterson and Ralston are better options at the moment. Patterson how many minutes has he played at the minute this season, you wouldnt consider him match fit or on match form. Ralston playing in a lot better team, manager and style of football. How would Ralston perform in the Motherwell side 

1 hour ago, borojock said:

Nothing like the home support getting behind one of their own. Who needs enemies when you have friends like this. 

I agree with what you say. Does he have limitations, absolutely but gives his all and thats all you can ask. You cant have a go that the guy was the best in that position but wasnt good enough thats not his fault. 

Its also arguable that Patterson and Ralston are better options at the moment. Patterson how many minutes has he played at the minute this season, you wouldnt consider him match fit or on match form. Ralston playing in a lot better team, manager and style of football. How would Ralston perform in the Motherwell side 

Better than O’Donnell in the Celtic side 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Better than O’Donnell in the Celtic side 

Yes maybe. It's certainly an interesting mental exercise.
My view is that I want to see all our potential right backs playing as much as possible. I'm delighted that Ralston is playing so well. But it pains me to see Patterson and O'Donnell sat on the bench. It doesn't make Steve Clarke's job any easier if he can't see his players on the field.

5 hours ago, borojock said:

It's so disappointing that Patterson so far has managed a total of 0 minutes playing time for Everton, when his immediate competitors for a place are Coleman, who is past it, and Kenny, who never had it.

45 minutes ago, scotlad said:

It's so disappointing that Patterson so far has managed a total of 0 minutes playing time for Everton, when his immediate competitors for a place are Coleman, who is past it, and Kenny, who never had it.

When robertson moved to hull was he not there for a half dozen games before breaking through? I am not overly concerned he hasnt had any game time however if there is no sign of game time in the next half dozen matches then I will start to worry a bit

3 hours ago, mcguffin said:

Yes maybe. It's certainly an interesting mental exercise.
My view is that I want to see all our potential right backs playing as much as possible. I'm delighted that Ralston is playing so well. But it pains me to see Patterson and O'Donnell sat on the bench. It doesn't make Steve Clarke's job any easier if he can't see his players on the field.

I can’t see O’Donnell getting a sniff when there’s Patterson who’s been excellent at international level, Ralston who’s been the star right back for much of the SPL season both ahead of him & O’Donnell himself is struggling at the same level Ralston is excelling at. 

14 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

When robertson moved to hull was he not there for a half dozen games before breaking through? I am not overly concerned he hasnt had any game time however if there is no sign of game time in the next half dozen matches then I will start to worry a bit

Yeah, I wouldn't worry at all about Patterson. (Or Gilmour) We need to remember they are still extremely young. Being Premier League regulars at that age is not that common. 

The only concern is the short term options for Scotland. Long term, I'm not concerned at all.  A little over a year ago Patterson, Ralston and Ramsay weren't on anyone's lips. Hickey was barely even a consideration. I'll bet in 2 or 3 years we'll all look back and chuckle at how worried we were about RB in 2020/2021.

16 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

I can’t see O’Donnell getting a sniff when there’s Patterson who’s been excellent at international level, Ralston who’s been the star right back for much of the SPL season both ahead of him & O’Donnell himself is struggling at the same level Ralston is excelling at. 

These are good points.

Still, it worries me that Ralston is the only one of the three who is getting time on the pitch at the moment.  I think Clarke needs options, and he needs those options to be playing?

3 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I'm not worried about him in the long term, I'm sure he'll a get a chance at some stage, but we've our biggest game in years coming up next month and to play someone who hasn't played any football in weeks is a gamble, especially when he is still learning his trade.

20 hours ago, stitch said:

Don't think he has let us down.He has done a good job for us.There's always a guy in the team that fans take a dislike to.He seems to be IT at the moment.

2 hours ago, thesaint said:

There's always a guy in the team that fans take a dislike to.He seems to be IT at the moment.

I don't think that's fair at all. I don't see that he's become a whipping boy. Fans are, I think, quite rightly questioning whether he is still picked on merit. That's not the same thing. 

Edited by slasher

44 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

It’s a tricky one.  We can only hope that either Patterson gets game time or o donnel gets back in the team and starts performing otherwise we are without a right back for a massive game.

Patterson will play regardless of game time. You’re also forgetting about Ralston

54 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

It’s a tricky one.  We can only hope that either Patterson gets game time or o donnel gets back in the team and starts performing otherwise we are without a right back for a massive game.

Today is Everton's third game in 8 days. And surely Frank Lampard won't start the game with the same team that trudged off in defeat on Tuesday?  Here's hoping Patterson will finally get on the pitch today.  

Hope O'Donnell plays today for Motherwell too.

1 hour ago, mcguffin said:

Today is Everton's third game in 8 days. And surely Frank Lampard won't start the game with the same team that trudged off in defeat on Tuesday?  Here's hoping Patterson will finally get on the pitch today.  

Hope O'Donnell plays today for Motherwell too.

Maybe I was being a bit too optimistic about Patterson maybe starting today? Interview with Lampard: https://www.liverpoolworld.uk/sport/football/everton/frank-lampard-explains-nathan-pattersons-everton-situation-e-as-he-still-awaits-debut-after-rangers-move-3564568

16 minutes ago, mcguffin said:

They have Boreham Wood in the FA Cup on the 3rd of March, surely they’ll rest Coleman for that. So hopefully some minutes before Ukraine. 

But he needs to displace Jonjoe Kenny as second choice first…!

1 hour ago, mcguffin said:

You could pretty much swap Lampard and Coleman for Gerrard and Tavernier, and it would be an almost identical quote from 6 months ago.

New managers do tend to rely a lot on the club captains to help settle in, so I don't really blame him for putting a lot of importance on Coleman. But it's a bit frustrating from a Scotland point of view.