Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 99 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

5 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Patterson unused sub. Its clear he will be an understudy to coleman which is what i suggested at the time of the transfer and was shot down.  Coleman also scored yesterday.

I'd have hoped he might have got a few minutes yesterday, since Everton were winning the game comfortably, but no. 🙄

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Patterson unused sub. Its clear he will be an understudy to coleman which is what i suggested at the time of the transfer and was shot down.  Coleman also scored yesterday.

Strange he’s gone to another club where the right back is the captain. No matter how well he does in training it’s almost impossible to take the place of a club captain. You would assume Coleman has another year or 2 left in him. 

25 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Strange he’s gone to another club where the right back is the captain. No matter how well he does in training it’s almost impossible to take the place of a club captain. You would assume Coleman has another year or 2 left in him. 

At 33 Coleman isn’t likely to be at Everton that much longer. I can only assume Patterson was happy to go to Everton and wait for Coleman’s retirement (likely no more than 2 years) rather than stay at Rangers and wait for Tavernier to leave or retire (possibly 5 years). 

He would obviously have been better going to a club who were in need of a right back but as far as I’m aware Everton was the the only club that met Rangers valuation. 

1 minute ago, syecosse said:

Shame about Frasers attitude towards call ups, Newcastle fans starting to love him, seems to have hit his best form for Newcastle. 

Will be interesting to see if he makes the playoff squad. Clarke seemed to be fed up with him the last time he pulled out. 

18 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

At 33 Coleman isn’t likely to be at Everton that much longer. I can only assume Patterson was happy to go to Everton and wait for Coleman’s retirement (likely no more than 2 years) rather than stay at Rangers and wait for Tavernier to leave or retire (possibly 5 years). 

He would obviously have been better going to a club who were in need of a right back but as far as I’m aware Everton was the the only club that met Rangers valuation. 

He would have been better staying at Rangers, having some game time than at Everton getting no game time.  The risk now is he becomes the forgotten man.

he could have waited for somewhere with a real vacancy at right back.  Might be two years before he gets regular football. I think Hickey is now looking like our right back (although wouldnt play him against Ukraine)

Just now, Malcolm said:

He would have been better staying at Rangers, having some game time than at Everton getting no game time.  The risk now is he becomes the forgotten man.

he could have waited for somewhere with a real vacancy at right back.  Might be two years before he gets regular football. I think Hickey is now looking like our right back (although wouldnt play him against Ukraine)

I don’t think he really had the choice to stay at Rangers. Once a club agrees to sell a player there’s not much the player can do.  OK so he could have refused point blank to go to Everton but how was he to know he’d get no game time there? There’s also no guarantee he’d have played much more at Rangers (although he’d probably have started yesterday in fairness). 

If Patterson applies himself in training and keeps the right attitude then he will give himself a chance of getting some game time. That’s all he can really do. If it doesn’t work out then so be it. I’m sure another club will come in for him. 

5 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I don’t think he really had the choice to stay at Rangers. Once a club agrees to sell a player there’s not much the player can do.  OK so he could have refused point blank to go to Everton but how was he to know he’d get no game time there? There’s also no guarantee he’d have played much more at Rangers (although he’d probably have started yesterday in fairness). 

If Patterson applies himself in training and keeps the right attitude then he will give himself a chance of getting some game time. That’s all he can really do. If it doesn’t work out then so be it. I’m sure another club will come in for him. 

just surprised he went there where the club captain is right back!

1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

Aye I don’t disagree. I just don’t think he would have had much of a say. Rangers wanted to sell him and his agent (and possibly Patterson as well) would have had pound signs in his eyes. 

24 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

If Hickey was playing right back in Serie A he would be a certain starter. 

58 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

He has played a few games at right back recently 

Yes, e.g. he started as right back in yesterday's game against Lazio, then was switched to left back in the second half. I thought he played well. There's a real maturity to his play these days.

Okay, it might be a bit of an outside shot he'll make the squad for the playoffs, but I have hunch we'll see him in a squad before long, for his versatility alone.

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

I’m not. It’s already been said that he’d have had little choice but throw in that his wages will have increased massively and Coleman is 34 this year. The way full backs are asked to play these days he’ll be the better option soon enough. That’s if Lampard fancies him of course.

52 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Still think it’s unlikely that Hickey will be called up. He’s also much more comfortable at left back, so he’d be a 3rd left back rather than a right back for me. 

He will be called up instead of Greg Taylor unless Steve Clarke has no eyes or a brain and no scouts or coaches who can advise him between an average player and a very good one. 

2 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Yeah, I think he’ll play McTominay there unless there’s injuries in midfield though.

Please GOD no.McTominay should be nowhere near that position.Like McTominay,but not at the back.Want's too much time on the ball  at the back.Recipe for disaster.

6 hours ago, Malcolm said:

He left a club where he was also understudy to a club captain that's 3 years younger than the Everton one. 

Seamus Coleman might be past his best but is still a club legend so it's not easy for a new manager to come in & drop him or even sub him with 10 or 15 minutes to go. 

Everton have 6 games to play before the World cup play offs, one is against Boreham Wood in the FA cup, that's the game i expect Patterson to get his debut. If he starts & plays well that might lead to more regular sub appearances until then he/we just need to be patient

10 hours ago, ProudScot said:

He will be called up instead of Greg Taylor unless Steve Clarke has no eyes or a brain and no scouts or coaches who can advise him between an average player and a very good one. 

Having a go at the manager for not calling up one player when we have ample cover in that position. 🙄

On 2/13/2022 at 7:28 PM, Tiny Tim said:

I’m not. It’s already been said that he’d have had little choice but throw in that his wages will have increased massively and Coleman is 34 this year. The way full backs are asked to play these days he’ll be the better option soon enough. That’s if Lampard fancies him of course.

Coleman is also nowhere near the player he was, Injuries have absolutely ruined him, which is a shame because in his mid 20s Coleman looked potentially world class. For me he'll be retired or at a lower level in 6-18 months.

From what I'd heard Patterson was going to their u23s for 6 months to try and keep fit while concentrating on bulking up in the GYM, he would then take over RB duties in the summer. This was before Rafa got sacked, so that plan may have changed.

While Patterson has a large frame he hasn't actually filled out much yet. If he can take this time and bulk up for the start of preseason, while learning mentally from Coleman it could serve him well. He's not long turned 20, it's not like he's 22/23 and struggling for gametime.