Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 59 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Patterson and Jack both got minus ratings on who scored which is pretty hard to do on the winning team unless you get sent off.

Jack didn't do much but that's expected after 9 months out. It's just about getting his fitness and match sharpness up for the next month or 2.

Patterson came on at LB and I think he went forward about once. The ball was constantly down the right when he came on.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, slasher said:

We'll all have to hope that Patterson's lack of game time doesn't result in a lack of sharpness. He's being dealt a pretty poor hand by Gerard as far as I can see. 

he hasn’t been dealt a poor hand by Gerard.   Gerard has the best two right backs in Scotland in his squad of which Patterson is second.  It’s up to Patterson to improve his game to become the best or get a move to another club.  If I’m Gerard I’m delighted with the current situation.

14 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

he hasn’t been dealt a poor hand by Gerard.   Gerard has the best two right backs in Scotland in his squad of which Patterson is second.  It’s up to Patterson to improve his game to become the best or get a move to another club.  If I’m Gerard I’m delighted with the current situation.

Patterson had the chance to move and Gerrard said he would get plenty of game time........I didn't believe him then and I don't believe him now

15 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

the guy is doing well over in the MLS - shame he's up against McGinn, Christie, Armstrong, Turnbull etc  

Out of interest for these squads is it a 23 man max squad, if it is i would always have 23 men in the squad, for example with Fraser dropping out is it not worth having a youngster who could be a potential squad player or first team player in the future. Get them in the squad even if they don't have a chance of starting.

Surely the benefits of them being around the training camp getting to know the manager, coaches, first team squad, training ground, travelling with the squad, expectations, strategy, formations, tactics etc gives them some hands on experience so if they were needed in a future squad they are more prepared as already been around it. 

51 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I honestly think gauld can develop into a world class midfielder , i would be shocked if a big European team does not go after him shortly, he has been brilliant for his new club 

I'm a big fan of Gauld but world class is maybe a bit much, he's already 25 so he'd have to develop a lot in a short space of time.
I'd be interested to see where his next move (if any) is as he seems to have thrived most at teams where he's gone in as the star man and play built around him. It makes me wonder would he struggle to fit in at a bigger team back in Europe.
The fact that he's taken the Whitecaps from down near the bottom when he arrived to now in the playoffs is a great achievement though.

2 hours ago, csinclair said:

I'm a big fan of Gauld but world class is maybe a bit much, he's already 25 so he'd have to develop a lot in a short space of time.
I'd be interested to see where his next move (if any) is as he seems to have thrived most at teams where he's gone in as the star man and play built around him. It makes me wonder would he struggle to fit in at a bigger team back in Europe.
The fact that he's taken the Whitecaps from down near the bottom when he arrived to now in the playoffs is a great achievement though.

Aye maybe jumping the gun but could end up a top players for us anyways,  hes a guy who needs the right club due to his build/physic

This is probably the wrong thread, but I didn't want to start a new one. Apologies if it has been discussed elsewhere, but is anyone else absolutely ecstatic that Gerrard has left Rangers?

Much like the Norwich manager vacating the seat at Norwich, this could be a wonderful opportunity for Patterson (and Gilmour) to stake a claim in the starting 11. I really hope that Gerrard takes Tavernier with him to Villa. Or at least a new manager realises the benefit of giving youth a chance at Rangers.

6 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

This is probably the wrong thread, but I didn't want to start a new one. Apologies if it has been discussed elsewhere, but is anyone else absolutely ecstatic that Gerrard has left Rangers?

Much like the Norwich manager vacating the seat at Norwich, this could be a wonderful opportunity for Patterson (and Gilmour) to stake a claim in the starting 11. I really hope that Gerrard takes Tavernier with him to Villa. Or at least a new manager realises the benefit of giving youth a chance at Rangers.

Would prefer it if he took Patterson to Villa which might not be as unlikely as it sounds.

8 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Would prefer it if he took Patterson to Villa which might not be as unlikely as it sounds.

It's certainly possible, but he may still not play much. Kind of like when Martin O'Neill signed Maloney for Villa. He didn't start him much at Celtic, and the same happened at Villa, at least to begin with. I don't want Patterson to swap one bench for another.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He won’t do that as he has no interest in developing young players.

Him leaving is probably good for Scotland in terms of Rangers playing young players. 

3 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

That'll be McGinn a bench warmer for Villa from now on once Gerrard sees that Saltire next to his name!

10 hours ago, ProudScot said:

He won’t do that as he has no interest in developing young players.

Him leaving is probably good for Scotland in terms of Rangers playing young players. 

Do you know something we don't? How do you know the next rangers manager won't be exactly the same when it comes to youth?

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Do you know something we don't? How do you know the next rangers manager won't be exactly the same when it comes to youth?

I don’t that’s why I said probably but he never gave youth a chance at all so it can’t harm the chances of any youth players with the change that’s for sure. 

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I mean it can't be any worse, can it? It would even been hard for him to be similar. The only way he could be any worse is if he released anyone under the age of 21.

Gerrard gave no young Scottish players a chance unless he was forced to due to injuries or lack of options. He would then immediately dump them if they underperformed in a Game or 2.

Middleton out performed and got more goals and assists than Ojo, Barker and Jones yet all 3 were given more opportunities and time than Middleton. 

Ross McCrorie future captain, until Gerrard didn't fancy him after a few games.

Nathan Patterson. Gerrard's second season, Tav gets injured and everybody is clamouring for Patterson and he is clearly ready. Does Gerrard give him a chance... Nope. First we get Flannigan flailing at RB and then once he is dropped to we go with Patterson... Nope. We get a CM who played about 1 game for us in 2 years at RB in Polster. Last season when Tav goes down do we get Patterson... Eventually. First we had to Endure Balogun against Antwerp and despite thriving Patterson is dumped a few games later for Balogun against Celtic.

Stephen Kelly does very well in preseason and is by far Rangers best player preseason. He has played the some total of 13 minutes this season. 

Surely to god he can't be as bad as Gerrard at giving young players a chance. This isn't even bitter grapes from me as a Rangers fan. I have been saying it for years about Gerrard.

I hope we get a manager who is willing to give youth a chance. Rangers have some very talented Scottish youngsters, who Gerrard massively let down during his tenure.

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart

7 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I mean it can't be any worse, can it? It would even been hard for him to be similar. The only way he could be any worse is if he released anyone under the age of 21.

Gerrard gave no young Scottish players a chance unless he was forced to due to injuries or lack of options. He would then immediately dump them if they underperformed in a Game or 2.

Middleton out performed and got more goals and assists than Ojo, Barker and Jones yet all 3 were given more opportunities and time than Middleton. 

Nathan Patterson. Gerrard's second season, Tav gets injured and everybody is clamouring for Patterson and he is clearly ready. Does Gerrard give him a chance... Nope. First we get Flannigan flailing at RB and then once he is dropped to we go with Patterson... Nope. We get a CM who played about 1 game for us in 2 years at RB in Polster. Last season when Tav goes down do we get Patterson... Eventually. First we had to Endure Balogun against Antwerp and despite thriving Patterson is dumped a few games later for Balogun against Celtic.

Stephen Kelly does very well in preseason and is by far Rangers best player preseason. He has played the some total of 13 minutes this season. 

Surely to god he can't be as bad as Gerrard at giving young players a chance. This isn't even bitter grapes from me as a Rangers fan. I have been saying it for years about Gerrard.

I hope we get a manager who is willing to give youth a chance. Rangers have some very talented Scottish youngsters, who Gerrard massively let down during his tenure.

That’s pretty accurate really 

9 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I was going to make a similar post that wouldn't have come close to being as thorough as yours. Spot on.

Just to expand on that last point, it has been touted that Rangers have had the best youth team in decades. Patterson and Gilmour being the obvious early examples of that being true. But there have been at least 3 or 4 other names being thrown about e.g Kelly, King. If I'm not mistaken, at least 2 or 3 others refused to sign new contracts and left. Almost certainly because they knew they wouldn't get a chance under Gerrard. 

Gerrard, and Rangers in general, were so hell bent on stopping the 10, that they forgot to plan for the future. Gerrard leaving will benefit both Scotland and probably Rangers too (mid-long term).

4 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I was going to make a similar post that wouldn't have come close to being as thorough as yours. Spot on.

Just to expand on that last point, it has been touted that Rangers have had the best youth team in decades. Patterson and Gilmour being the obvious early examples of that being true. But there have been at least 3 or 4 other names being thrown about e.g Kelly, King. If I'm not mistaken, at least 2 or 3 others refused to sign new contracts and left. Almost certainly because they knew they wouldn't get a chance under Gerrard. 

Gerrard, and Rangers in general, were so hell bent on stopping the 10, that they forgot to plan for the future. Gerrard leaving will benefit both Scotland and probably Rangers too (mid-long term).

Wilson is potentially the next big one as well but he looks like he will be offski in January. 

I'm sure Rangers have won the u18s for the last 2/3 years. There is talent there it just isn't being harnessed. If anything it seems like a lot end up disheartened. McPake wanted out on loan straight away after just turning 17. He hasn't really recovered since. Kennedy had massive amounts of speculation about him being unhappy for years. About 3 or 4 promising players left and went to EPL sides.

Gerrard always liked a soundbyte about pathways but he has shown with his actions it was complete bs.

I'm hoping for a guy like Knudson at Bodø glimt. He has shown a willingness to bring through young players and using homegrown players to great effect. Without dropping levels of performance.

It's looking like it will be Gio. I'm sure he worked on a small budget with younger players while keeping up with Ajax and PsV.

2 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Wilson is potentially the next big one as well but he looks like he will be offski in January. 

I'm sure Rangers have won the u18s for the last 2/3 years. There is talent there it just isn't being harnessed. If anything it seems like a lot end up disheartened. McPake wanted out on loan straight away after just turning 17. He hasn't really recovered since. Kennedy had massive amounts of speculation about him being unhappy for years. About 3 or 4 promising players left and went to EPL sides.

Gerrard always liked a soundbyte about pathways but he has shown with his actions it was complete bs.

I'm hoping for a guy like Knudson at Bodø glimt. He has shown a willingness to bring through young players and using homegrown players to great effect. Without dropping levels of performance.

It's looking like it will be Gio. I'm sure he worked on a small budget with younger players while keeping up with Ajax and PsV.

Is that Rory Wilson, the striker? Maybe he'll stay now.

Celtic dominated the youth setups for the majority of the last 20 years, which is reflected in the ratio of how many Celtic youths became internationals compared to any other team. So the fact Rangers are now seemingly dominanting it could be a sign that the ratio will balance out. However, they need to be nurtured correctly. I'd be excited by that youth setup if I were an incoming manager.

I don't know much about Gio, but, being Dutch, the youth development ethos should be ingrained into his pysche.