Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 63 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, syecosse said:

A few of the fans also on there claim Turnball, Ralston and Johnston do not seem to have it when they are playing big games......I thought losing away 3-2 at Bayer wasn't a bad result. 

because they were 2-1 up celtic fans probably expected to get at least a draw out the match which would of given them a chance to qualify if they beat betis. 

I think johnston is struggling big time and probably won't make it at celtic or scotland. It's a shame because he is quite a skillful player with flair and tricks. We don't often produce many of those type of players. Hes injured too much and far too inconsistent and ineffective. 

Ralston has done very well domestically but hes maybe not good enough against teams of leverkusens quality. Either way it's unlikely he will be our first choice right back. He might turn into a decent back up option for Scotland. 

15 minutes ago, Bzzzz said:

I thought that Mickey Johnston looked like a real prospect but saw nothing to speak of tonight. 

I doubt if Johnston is fully match sharp yet. He was injured for a long time.  He can’t just slot back in like a centre half would. Too early to judge him, for me. If he plays 20 in a row that will be the time. 

Dominic hyam and Michael rose are two players that seem to have went under the radar on here. Coventry could potentially be playing epl next season and these two make regular starts for them, hyam more often than rose. Both still relatively young for centre backs and although we have seen an improvement in our centre back options they might develop into decent options in the future. Personally I don't know much about them but Coventry must be doing something right going by their league position. 

Also jack hendry started last night for club brugge in their 5 nil defeat to RB leipzig. Hopefully it's just a blip and he is good enough to make it at club brugge long term as hes come a long way since his torrid celtic spell. 

On 11/24/2021 at 9:26 AM, todd said:

You could be right, but at the same time I reckon he gets so much abuse from Manc fans because of that Saltire

You may well be right. I also think the tv/radio pundits lazily blame the same players for poor Man Utd performances. And McTominay is one of their go-to scapegoats (along with Fred, the 'McFred' jibe is a particular cheap shot).  And some fans naturally take their lead.

On the other hand, Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho and Ole Gunnar Solksjaer have all publicly praised Scott McTominay.  (Wouldn't be that suprised if the new manager Ralf Rangnick includes him in his plans. Fingers crossed).

On 11/25/2021 at 9:27 PM, er yir macaroon said:

I doubt if Johnston is fully match sharp yet. He was injured for a long time.  He can’t just slot back in like a centre half would. Too early to judge him, for me. If he plays 20 in a row that will be the time. 

Yeh i agree, needs to stay fit for a sustained period before judging him. Seems to be the chosen back up to Jota at Celtic so he should get minutes of the bench regularly, he needs to start using his chances productively which in turn might persuade management he deserves to start games. 

On 11/26/2021 at 1:04 AM, mccaughey85 said:

Dominic hyam and Michael rose are two players that seem to have went under the radar on here. Coventry could potentially be playing epl next season and these two make regular starts for them, hyam more often than rose. Both still relatively young for centre backs and although we have seen an improvement in our centre back options they might develop into decent options in the future. Personally I don't know much about them but Coventry must be doing something right going by their league position. 

Also jack hendry started last night for club brugge in their 5 nil defeat to RB leipzig. Hopefully it's just a blip and he is good enough to make it at club brugge long term as hes come a long way since his torrid celtic spell. 

Just had a little read of their forum & they seem to play 3 at the back, it's the middle centre back McFadzean(also eligible) who seems to be highly thought of but he is 34 so beyond a call up. 

Hyam starts regularly & seems to be a strong defensively but very poor on the ball. 

Michael Rose who seems a good all round defender was linked with a big money move to Leeds due to his performances during Coventry's promotion winning season 2 years ago. Last season i think he got injured then couldn't get back in the team so didn't play much. This season it's only been the last month or so he has been a starter, so i guess he needs to stay in the team & really impress at that level for a sustained period then I would have thought Clarke will consider him. 

All based on fans opinions though as I've never watched Coventry play live since their days in the Premier league which much be 20 years ago. 

57 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Gilmour starts for Norwich and Robertson starts for Liverpool.

Good to see Robertson start, the Greek lad has been pretty impressive when he's played. They say its good to have completion for your place so maybe it will help Robertson kick on from what has been a poor start to the season for him. 

Maybe competition is good for Tierney too. 

7 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Good to see Robertson start, the Greek lad has been pretty impressive when he's played. They say its good to have completion for your place so maybe it will help Robertson kick on from what has been a poor start to the season for him. 

Maybe competition is good for Tierney too. 

Robertson was supposedly on fire when he replaced him in the champions League, the other night. Hopefully carries it on

Watched 20mins of the Norwich v wolves game and Norwich have been brilliant. Passing and movement has been excellent. They look like they could stay up if they play like this for the rest of the season which would be great for Hanley and mclean. Gilmour will probably be off somewhere else regardless as of what happens.