Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 64 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

16 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Watched 20mins of the Norwich v wolves game and Norwich have been brilliant. Passing and movement has been excellent. They look like they could stay up if they play like this for the rest of the season which would be great for Hanley and mclean. Gilmour will probably be off somewhere else regardless as of what happens. 

I concur. I watched the whole 90 mins and the quality of Norwch was high throughout
Wolves are a good team, but I felt that Norwich should have won it (especially if Teemu Pukki had brought his shooting boots. Got himself into 3 excellent scoring positions only to fluff it up each time).

Of the Scottish contingent, nothing but good news:

* Hanley played the 90 mins. Starting to look sharp and confident again after his injury.
* McClean. Also played a classy 90 mins. Didn't put a foot wrong.
* Gilmour. Don't know where to start. He was excellent. Ran himself into the ground and committed himself to every tackle (despite being on a yellow from the 26 minutes). It looked to me like he dropped into the defence midfielder role after Normann had to go off injured (similar role that he plays for us)? He is so good in that role! Wouldn't be suprised to see him start there in the next game?

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

It's pretty obvious now that idiot Farke was using Gilmour as a scapegoat. Dean Smith on the other hand knows this lad is a good player.

Yep. Something wasn't quite right behind the scenes I'm guessing. Just glad Dean Smith is giving him the chance he deserves (long may it continue).

9 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

It's pretty obvious now that idiot Farke was using Gilmour as a scapegoat. Dean Smith on the other hand knows this lad is a good player.

Well to me it was never a worry that it would harm Gilmour's career. He'll be a massive star for us and will be much sought after by the best top flight clubs or clubs abroad.

10 hours ago, borojock said:

Tierney on the bench second game in a row which isnt good news, i thought the young Portuguese guy who replaced him looked hopeless against LIV so was expecting to see Tierney back in 

Fraser starting right wing back for Newcastle 

Tierney is their best player. Chill oot. There was someone worried the other day because the injured Robertson’s replacement had a good game. Is this a Scottish thing? 

Edited by er yir macaroon

28 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Tierney is their best player. Chill oot. There was someone worried the other day because the injured Robertson’s replacement had a good game. Is this a Scottish thing? 

Ok playing devil’s advocate here. 

All of the Arsenal back four had a mare against Liverpool last week (long story but for my sins I’m an Arsenal ST holder and travel over regularly ).

Tavares has been excellent since KT got injured and he’s got a fight on his hands to get his place back.

General feeling with Arsenal support is they love him going forward but see him as a bit of a liability when defending, Chelsea and Man City both deliberately targeted him this season as the weak link and exploited him.

He had a great start to his Arsenal career, the fans love his total commitment, but many are still unconvinced with his defensive capabilities. 

11 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

Ok playing devil’s advocate here. 

All of the Arsenal back four had a mare against Liverpool last week (long story but for my sins I’m an Arsenal ST holder and travel over regularly ).

Tavares has been excellent since KT got injured and he’s got a fight on his hands to get his place back.

General feeling with Arsenal support is they love him going forward but see him as a bit of a liability when defending, Chelsea and Man City both deliberately targeted him this season as the weak link and exploited him.

He had a great start to his Arsenal career, the fans love his total commitment, but many are still unconvinced with his defensive capabilities. 

To be blunt I could not give a thrupenny bit about how he is doing at Arsenal as long as he is putting in a good shift for us which he clearly is. Perhaps he is better protected in the Scotland team by Robertson's close presence? In any case I am sure if Arsenal do not see him as the answer he'd have no problem being picked up by another EPL club or overseas somewhere.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

To be blunt I could not give a thrupenny bit about how he is doing at Arsenal as long as he is putting in a good shift for us which he clearly is. Perhaps he is better protected in the Scotland team by Robertson's close presence? In any case I am sure if Arsenal do not see him as the answer he'd have no problem being picked up by another EPL club or overseas somewhere.

You should care. If he is off form and subsequently dropped and has a crisis of confidence, then that will dramatically impact on his Scotland performances. With the amount of competition we have for places right now, not even Tierney is undroppable. 

It's not like the old days where McFadden and Hutton would be automatic picks even when they aren't playing. Clarke immediately dropped our number 1 goalkeeper for the Euros as soon he was out of the Derby team. 

1 minute ago, Tartan blood said:

You should care. If he is off form and subsequently dropped and has a crisis of confidence, then that will dramatically impact on his Scotland performances. With the amount of competition we have for places right now, not even Tierney is undroppable. 

It's not like the old days where McFadden and Hutton would be automatic picks even when they aren't playing. Clarke immediately dropped our number 1 goalkeeper for the Euros as soon he was out of the Derby team. 

No. We have seen from previous months with fans on here crapping themselves over lack of club matches for Gilmour and Patterson. And how have they done amidst that time for us? Very well thank you very much. 

My point is Tierney is not a player bursting a gut to impress and break into our squad and prove himself at international level. He has done that and is an established member of our squad. Even last season (early doors) when he was struggling for Arsenal he will still putting in great shifts for us. That is all that matters for this Scotland fan.

Besides, as I said earlier, if he falls out of favour permanently at Arsenal I do not see Tierney falling off the radar. Other EPL or overseas clubs will be waiting to snap him up.

McTominay starting for Man Utd. Looks like they are lining up in a 4-4-2 diamond, with Matic at the base and Fernandez at the tip, hoping to see McTominay given a chance to play as a box - box midfielder today.

1 hour ago, Scot1 said:

McTominay starting for Man Utd. Looks like they are lining up in a 4-4-2 diamond, with Matic at the base and Fernandez at the tip, hoping to see McTominay given a chance to play as a box - box midfielder today.

Very much rooted to the defensive right sided midfield role. Probably Utd’s best player since he’s the only one prepared to make a tackle. 

A Billy Gilmour or even a Callum McGregor would transform that team. Absolutely no tempo in the central area. 

Edited by er yir macaroon

25 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Very much rooted to the defensive right sided midfield role. Probably Utd’s best player since he’s the only one prepared to make a tackle. 

A Billy Gilmour or even a Callum McGregor would transform that team. Absolutely no tempo in the central area. 

Can see him getting sent off here if he’s not careful.  Reckon he might have been booked for dissent earlier if he wasn’t already on a yellow.

26 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Any of the really big games he’s invariably MoTM. 

Yes, he really ups his game for the big games.

I watched the 2nd half with the commentary off. so couldn't at first work out what position he was playing. He was playing really deep. At times dropping back to play in what looked like a back 6?  I guess he was playing as a deep lying defence midfielder?

Anyway, I thought he was defensively very good. Put his body on the line (and got a rocket shot to the chin for his troubles).  Seems to be getting pretty good at defending corners and set pieces too (even if he doesn't get to the ball first, he normally does enough to put off the attacker). On those occassions he was on the ball, he seemed to handle Chelsea's press better than most of his team mates.

39 minutes ago, mcguffin said:

Yes, he really ups his game for the big games.

I watched the 2nd half with the commentary off. so couldn't at first work out what position he was playing. He was playing really deep. At times dropping back to play in what looked like a back 6?  I guess he was playing as a deep lying defence midfielder?

Anyway, I thought he was defensively very good. Put his body on the line (and got a rocket shot to the chin for his troubles).  Seems to be getting pretty good at defending corners and set pieces too (even if he doesn't get to the ball first, he normally does enough to put off the attacker). On those occassions he was on the ball, he seemed to handle Chelsea's press better than most of his team mates.

Watching the game with the commentary off?  Dad, is that you!? 😄

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Think we can take MoM awards with a pinch of salt. Even whoscored.com ones. 

MoM awards are a complete joke.  I say that as someone who was asked to name the MoM in an EPL game and was basically asked, who do you want to meet?