Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 188 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

Watched Man City vs Brighton. Billy Gilmour was subbed on in the 87th minute. He was understandably keen to get on the ball and on the few times he got it he would play a very quick short pass, nothing fancy, then make himself available for the return pass (which usually didn't materialise). Even in this short time he did make one  'almost' incisive pass behind the Man City defence. Unfortunately the Brighton forward, who would have been through on goal,  was on a 'different wavelength' and didn't see the pass coming and gave Gilmour one of those exasperated, palms up 'ball-to-feet!' gestures that attacking players love to do.
So what the Brighton manager, De Zerbi made of this very short performance is anyone's guess.
I think this article maybe sums up the difficulty of the situation (though from De Zerbi's comments, it's by no means an impossible one):
https://www.sussexexpress.co.uk/sport/football/brighton-and-hove-albion/roberto-de-zerbi-gives-two-clear-reasons-why-billy-gilmour-does-not-start-for-brighton-as-chelsea-await-3890313

From a Scottish perspective, great to see  Gilmour playing, even for a few minutes here and there. And my gut tells me Che Adams would have read that pass 😜

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Jack Hendry was back in action for Cremonese the other night. Had missed a few games through injury.

BTW Is Kilmarnock's Danny Armstrong Scottish or English ?

Came on in the 60th minute against a Serie B team, conceded a penalty and gifted another. Doubt we’ll see him getting into the starting 11 anytime soon. 

1.15 onwards. 

35 minutes ago, dan cake said:

McGinn dropped by Villa, been coming tbh. Hopefully his next club manager plays him in his best position unlike Slippey G

But mings keeps his place. That guy is utter horse shit

3 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Came on in the 60th minute against a Serie B team, conceded a penalty and gifted another. Doubt we’ll see him getting into the starting 11 anytime soon. 

1.15 onwards. 

Lol thats two awful mistakes by him. Especially the second one. Looks like he may have to find another loan move in january. Shame as he looked class for scotland. 

10 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Only 23, hopefully he can get to the same level as our starting midfielders. 

4th Scotsman to score in Serie A in less than a year. Prior to Hickey scoring you had to go back 35 years for the last one. 

We are going to be missing quite a few players for this upcoming friendly against Turkey.

Calum McGregor, Aaron Hickey, Nathan Patterson, John Souttar and Ross Stewart all out injured for several weeks.

Although David Turnbull and Jacob Brown should be recovered from their present injuries by the time this game comes around, will they be 100% fit ?

Probably a good chance for Lewis Ferguson, Alan Campbell and Ryan Porteous to get further caps and maybe debuts for Calvin Ramsay and Dominic Hyam ?

Edited by ErsatzThistle

3 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

We are going to be missing quite a few players for this upcoming friendly against Turkey.

Calum McGregor, Aaron Hickey, Nathan Patterson, John Souttar and Ross Stewart all out injured for several weeks.

Although David Turnbull and Jacob Brown should be recovered from their present injuries by the time this game comes around, will they be 100% fit ?

Probably a good chance for Lewis Ferguson, Alan Campbell and Ryan Porteous to get further caps and maybe debuts for Calvin Ramsay and Dominic Hyam ?

I think particularly in midfield. We've been quite settled for a while and has been a strength but injuries to McGregor, Jack and Gilmour, even McTominay not always starting suggests it would be good to look at some of the players you mention.

Some people may have noticed a few weeks ago Clarke gave an interview where he actually said he was looking for new goalkeepers and was more than willing to use the granny rule to get one.

Blackpool's Welsh born goalie Chris Maxwell (played for Hibs) is eligible for us via the grandparent rule

Don't shoot the messenger !

With my Southampton hat on, whether Armstrong is or isn't in the starting eleven doesn't worry me too much. We have an abundance of midfielders at Saints.

However, with my Scotland hat on, it worries me Armstrong has barely started a match this season.

Hasenhuttl doesn't seem to fancy Armstrong (something Armstrong has more than hinted at in interviews). I don't really understand why not when Armstrong appears to be such good pro.

It has to be said, Armstrong does always seem to prove Hasenhuttl wrong when he returns - with a goal; like today.

40 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Armstrong is a very busy player, just his composure lets him down infront of goal sometimes. Was example I think at home to Ukraine when he was through on goal, leaned back and blazed miles over the bar.

Decent pick for away games though when you need to dig in.

He missed a couple of great chances against ukraine but he dug us out of a hole against armenia. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thisisanfield.com/2022/10/liverpool-u21s-come-from-behind-to-win-mini-derby-with-doak-winner/amp/

Doak scores winner for u21s against everton. Encouraging to see that doak has goals in him as we need players who can score. He might be a winger/forward similar to guys like sterling and mane who contribute lots of goals to their teams.

21 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Some people may have noticed a few weeks ago Clarke gave an interview where he actually said he was looking for new goalkeepers and was more than willing to use the granny rule to get one.

Blackpool's Welsh born goalie Chris Maxwell (played for Hibs) is eligible for us via the grandparent rule

Don't shoot the messenger !we

We will leave the shooting to the Ukrainians 🇺🇦😉 but surely we can do better than him. He is a journeyman & from what i recall not the biggest. 

I'm pleased Clarke is keen on the grandparent route, especially when he finds a gem such as Adams & "we all know the goalie position is going to be up for grabs within a couple of seasons so let's hope we get lucky without having to ask Angus Gunn again! 

7 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

We will leave the shooting to the Ukrainians 🇺🇦😉 but surely we can do better than him. He is a journeyman & from what i recall not the biggest. 

I'm pleased Clarke is keen on the grandparent route, especially when he finds a gem such as Adams & "we all know the goalie position is going to be up for grabs within a couple of seasons so let's hope we get lucky without having to ask Angus Gunn again! 

Are there any Scottish goalies playing in the Scottish Championship that we could look at as back-ups ? That's desperate, I freely admit, but it's not all that inconceivable that one or even two goalies from the Scottish Championship could get called up next year if Gordon and/or Kelly get injured.

Ross Doohan is playing regularly for Tranmere, but it is in English League Two.