Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 190 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to see Patterson make a swift return only a couple of weeks ago he was reported to still be facing several weeks out.

I would have no objection to seeing Tommy Conway in the squad to face Turkey. Good to have a young striker coming through.

The U21s aren't playing in November are they ?

Edited by ErsatzThistle

On 10/29/2022 at 3:40 PM, bigfingers said:

Nice finish by Connor Barron for Aberdeen away to rangers. 

He's a bright future ahead of him, that boy.

38 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Good to see Patterson make a swift return only a couple of weeks ago he was reported to still be facing several weeks out.

I would have no objection to seeing Tommy Conway in the squad to face Turkey. Good to have a young striker coming through.

The U21s aren't playing in November are they ?

Don't think so. If that is the case I wouldn't mind seeing the likes of Anderson, Conway and Ramsay included in the next squad.

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Shankland scores. Hes starting to hit a bit if form but with the emergence of stewart and conway it could be tricky for him to get into future squads. Wish the guy all the best but i doubt he gets many caps in the future.

Would have Shankland ahead of Stewart for sure 

4 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Would have Shankland ahead of Stewart for sure 

Yeh? Stewart looked excellent before his injury and scored 27 goals in league 1 last season. Shanklands yet to have a decent season in the spl. Saying that hes scored 11 so far this season so he should hit 25-30 this season which is pretty good.

Currently I would favour stewart over shankland because he was doing well in the championship which is probably slightly above the spl in terms of standard(excluding the old firm).

Saying that if shankland has a brilliant season and scores more than 30 then he should definitely get another chance with scotland. 

24 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh? Stewart looked excellent before his injury and scored 27 goals in league 1 last season. Shanklands yet to have a decent season in the spl. Saying that hes scored 11 so far this season so he should hit 25-30 this season which is pretty good.

Currently I would favour stewart over shankland because he was doing well in the championship which is probably slightly above the spl in terms of standard(excluding the old firm).

Saying that if shankland has a brilliant season and scores more than 30 then he should definitely get another chance with scotland. 

That's quite the statement. Shankland will not score more than 25 goals this season. If he gets anywhere near that then he'll obviously be straight back into the squad.

Has any player not playing for the old firm scored 30 goals in a season this century? Genuine question. Griffiths got something like 28 for Hibs then was immediately signed by Celtic. 

5 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

That's quite the statement. Shankland will not score more than 25 goals this season. If he gets anywhere near that then he'll obviously be straight back into the squad.

Has any player not playing for the old firm scored 30 goals in a season this century? Genuine question. Griffiths got something like 28 for Hibs then was immediately signed by Celtic. 

Do you mean just the league or the league, domestic cups and Europe ?

20 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Well hes on 11 so far this season. I was referring to all competitions. I think its pretty realistic that shankland gets near to 25 and maybe more. I think were just under a third of the season gone and hes on 11 already. 

If he hits 25 or more then an english championship team will probably snap him up. Personally i reckon rangers should take a chance on him if he does. Hes a cheap option who would score goals against the lower 6 spl teams while they can rest a better striker for bigger games in europe or old firm games.

The griffiths situation was slightly different in that he was only 23 i think when he hit 28 for hibs. Celtic probably felt there was plenty of potential for him to improve and then sell on.

7 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

For me it's Stewart all day long before Shankland. Without repeating any stats or opinions on here if you where to put both players up for transfer right now, Stewart even while injured would get bids probably 10 times higher than Shankland. 

Funnily enough, Ross Stewart's just might end up moving somewhere for absolutely nothing next summer. His contract is up at the end of this season and there is no sign of him at present singing another with Sunderland.

Long story but I’ve got an Arsenal season ticket ( wasn’t there today ) but it’s quite obvious that Arteta doesn’t fancy Tierney, Zivchenko  is his first choice left back now, he’s started Tomiyasu last few games because he’s injured.

The Japanese got a knock and taken off he brought on Cedric instead of KT, looks like he’ may have dropped down to 4th choice.

Mates of mine think Arteta thinks he’s a liability due to him being injury prone, not sure if the exact figures but he’s only figured in Around 30% of Arsenal games since he signed. they reckon Arsenal are trying to move him on in January. 

Edited by Jersey Jim

Just now, Jersey Jim said:

Long story but I’ve got an Arsenal season ticket ( wasn’t there today ) but it’s quite obvious that Arteta doesn’t fancy Tierney, Zivchenko  is his first choice left back now, he’s started Tomiyasu last few games because he’s injured.

The Japanese got a knock and taken off he brought on Cedric instead of KT, looks like he’ may have dropped down to 4th choice.

Mates of mine think Arteta thinks he’s a liability due to him being injury prone, not sure if the exact figures but he’s only figured in Around 30% of Arsenal games since he signed. 

Arteta spoke warmly of Tierney only recently and said what a good player he thought he was. It's also worth remembering that he's playing regularly in Europe for them.

In any event, there would be no shortage of clubs that would be interested in signing Tierney if Arsenal did decide to move him on.

13 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Arteta spoke warmly of Tierney only recently and said what a good player he thought he was. It's also worth remembering that he's playing regularly in Europe for them.

In any event, there would be no shortage of clubs that would be interested in signing Tierney if Arsenal did decide to move him on.

Yeah, I get that but Arteta talks up all of his players, maybe I’m overthinking things, but being fit for around 30% of games is not a good sign.

Arsenal fans love him but i disagree with your “playing regularly in Europe” as some sort of positive comment as Arsenal normally make at least 7 changes from their settled EPL starting 11.

As for no shortage of clubs, I would imagine they would look at his injury record. Hopefully I’m wrong and Arteta is managing him well, if not he’s not going to get a move to bigger club than Arsenal.

Just my opinion 👍

Edited by Jersey Jim

13 minutes ago, Jersey Jim said:

Yeah, I get that but Arteta talks up all of his players, maybe I’m overthinking things, but being fit for around 30% of games is not a good sign.

Arsenal fans love him but i disagree with your “playing regularly in Europe” as some sort of positive comment as Arsenal normally make at least 7 changes from their settled EPL starting 11.

As for no shortage of clubs, I would imagine they would look at his injury record. Hopefully I’m wrong and Arteta is managing him well, if not he’s not going to get a move to bigger club than Arsenal.

Just my opinion 👍

Injury prone players who nonetheless have proven themselves to be posses great talent (which Tierney has done) don't have trouble finding new clubs.

He'll have to take a wage cut to some degree but there are a lot of clubs in Europe that would be interested in signing Tierney.

Just as long as he doesn't end up on a season long loan back to Celtic. It would be deflating.

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Do you mean just the league or the league, domestic cups and Europe ?

I mean everything. I'd be surprised if any non-old firm player had exceeded 30. 

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Well hes on 11 so far this season. I was referring to all competitions. I think its pretty realistic that shankland gets near to 25 and maybe more. I think were just under a third of the season gone and hes on 11 already. 

If he hits 25 or more then an english championship team will probably snap him up. Personally i reckon rangers should take a chance on him if he does. Hes a cheap option who would score goals against the lower 6 spl teams while they can rest a better striker for bigger games in europe or old firm games.

The griffiths situation was slightly different in that he was only 23 i think when he hit 28 for hibs. Celtic probably felt there was plenty of potential for him to improve and then sell on.

I was referring to all competitions as well. I'm not saying he won't end up on 25-30, but I'd be pretty shocked if he did. Not to be 'that' guy, but how many of those 11 are penalties? 11 is impressive regardless, though. 

19 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I mean everything. I'd be surprised if any non-old firm player had exceeded 30. 

I was referring to all competitions as well. I'm not saying he won't end up on 25-30, but I'd be pretty shocked if he did. Not to be 'that' guy, but how many of those 11 are penalties? 11 is impressive regardless, though. 

He probably wont hit 25+ but i think he gets well over 20. Maybe 22/23 would be my estimate providing he stays fit. If he does get that then he should get a scotland call up but i still think it will be tough for him to get in the first team as guys like stewart, conway and dykes and maybe even mcburnie will be ahead of him and adams will probably be first pick. Maybe if we are playing 2 upfront then his chances increase.

Not looking to rule the guy out completely but he needs this season to be really good if hes to stand a chance of being a scotland regular.

Its true that barely any non old firm strikers hit more than 25 in a season. Griffiths did it in recent years but i think thats it unless someone can name another.