Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 123 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

I think Christie could play in the EPL but McKenna would be replaced as championship is more his level tbh. 

How often have you watched mckenna? This season in the championship will be the making of him. He's got what it takes to step up to the EPL. 

Take a look at the CBs lining up every week in the EPL, most of them are mince

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

How often have you watched mckenna? This season in the championship will be the making of him. He's got what it takes to step up to the EPL. 

He is doing well for sure. I’m happy to be proven wrong and like McKenna, just not overly convinced on his last few Scotland outings in comparison to some of our other CBs.

Hopefully if they go up he keeps in the team and does well though. 

Worryingly, Hendry seems to be going through a wee spell of starting on the bench for Clubbe Brugge, hopefully just a glitch 🤔

Edit to say, not so much a wee spell, as 10 games!

Edited by todd

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Hes getting rave reviews and i am pretty sure Nottinghams good form started once he came into the side. At the start of the season they were terrible then mckenna came in and their form picked up massively. Next season he should be in the epl wether its with forest or some other team.

4 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

We had more shots and more shots on target than England. (Including a shot from SOD) They had more possession, but they were the home team, and a lot of their possession was spent passing between their centre backs, and Grealish wandering about with the ball not passing. So, I don't think that game is an ideal comparison.

Ideally we would have Robertson, Tierney and Patterson all available for the playoffs, but it's not looking likely, unfortunately.

I thought O'Donnell was really good against England. If his shot had gone in it would have been the icing on the cake. Wasn't McTominay the right-sided central back that game too?
It will be interesting to see what Steve Clarke goes with in the Ukraine game in defence. At least he has options?

44 minutes ago, todd said:

Worryingly, Hendry seems to be going through a wee spell of starting on the bench for Clubbe Brugge, hopefully just a glitch 🤔

Edit to say, not so much a wee spell, as 10 games!

I had a bit of a 'mare with the spelling of Club there!  Over thought it! 😁

2 hours ago, mcguffin said:

I thought O'Donnell was really good against England. If his shot had gone in it would have been the icing on the cake. Wasn't McTominay the right-sided central back that game too?
It will be interesting to see what Steve Clarke goes with in the Ukraine game in defence. At least he has options?

Can you imagine he'd scored?! He'd be a legend for all time and no one would be debating if he is good enough for Scotland. What ifs and all that.

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Hes getting rave reviews and i am pretty sure Nottinghams good form started once he came into the side. At the start of the season they were terrible then mckenna came in and their form picked up massively. Next season he should be in the epl wether its with forest or some other team.

Don't think he has missed a game all season! I could be wrong mind you 

4 hours ago, ProudScot said:

He is doing well for sure. I’m happy to be proven wrong and like McKenna, just not overly convinced on his last few Scotland outings in comparison to some of our other CBs.

Hopefully if they go up he keeps in the team and does well though. 

McKenna will probably do well in the EPL. A left footed CB with pace, strength and technique is a commodity down south. He is also 25 and a few years off his prime.

He and Worall have been eyed from Prem moves this season. 

8 hours ago, bigfingers said:

Leon King playing the second half for rangers. 

He did well. He wasn't really tested defensively but on the ball he was great. Very, very good technically and a good range of passing, probablyon par with if not better than Goldson in that regard.

It's a shame he's only 5'11/6 foot. If he was 6'2/3 he'd probably have played about 20/30+ games for Rangers by now. He is more than ready and should be a squad player next season along with Lowry (he was injured today). My only fear is King will be held back until he either grows or fills out. Under 6ft as a CB in Scotland is very small.

I hope I'm wrong and he gets his chance and becomes a part of our CB rotation next season. 

9 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

He did well. He wasn't really tested defensively but on the ball he was great. Very, very good technically and a good range of passing, probablyon par with if not better than Goldson in that regard.

It's a shame he's only 5'11/6 foot. If he was 6'2/3 he'd probably have played about 20/30+ games for Rangers by now. He is more than ready and should be a squad player next season along with Lowry (he was injured today). My only fear is King will be held back until he either grows or fills out. Under 6ft as a CB in Scotland is very small.

I hope I'm wrong and he gets his chance and becomes a part of our CB rotation next season. 

Good to hear.

Times have slightly changed in being good on the ball and fast are more important (to a lot of managers) than simply being tall and strong. Obviously having it all is ideal but someone like Tierney isn’t held back by being only 5’10.

Really hope King and Lowry get lots of starts next season. Could see a change of manager there again though possibly? Which could mix it all up again. 

On 4/5/2022 at 9:30 PM, ProudScot said:

KT & Patterson out till next season - surely better for us the play off is in September now.

The thought of Stephen O’Donnell vs Gareth Bale is enough to give sleepless nights… 

They play on opposite sides of the park tbf. Bale has been getting some time off the bench for Madrid recently so there's a fair chance he'll be injured come June anyway 🤞

6 hours ago, ghorne67 said:

They play on opposite sides of the park tbf. Bale has been getting some time off the bench for Madrid recently so there's a fair chance he'll be injured come June anyway 🤞

And for all the scoffing of O'Donnell he has coped very well with big stars of England side who are lauded shutting them out but of course it has to be forgotten since it does not paint him in a bad light 

32 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And for all the scoffing of O'Donnell he has coped very well with big stars of England side who are lauded shutting them out but of course it has to be forgotten since it does not paint him in a bad light 

You're right. Hasn't let us down playing against some real big names. Some folk have got a problem with guys from the so called unfashionable clubs. If they do a good job for us... there.shouldn't be a problem. 

28 minutes ago, thesaint said:

You're right. Hasn't let us down playing against some real big names. Some folk have got a problem with guys from the so called unfashionable clubs. If they do a good job for us... there.shouldn't be a problem. 

I've nae problem with players from unfashionable clubs, I support one of them...I have a problem with players that are shite, and SOD definitely fits into the category at international level

9 minutes ago, mcguffin said:

Yep. An outstretched goalie's hand away from greatness.

And I'd imagine that's the thought that goes through the lads head on an almost daily basis, fine lines!

Edited by todd

2 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

I've nae problem with players from unfashionable clubs, I support one of them...I have a problem with players that are shite, and SOD definitely fits into the category at international level

When exactly has O'Donnell been shite.Has played 26 times and i certainly don't remember him having a lot of terrible performances.Two or three maybe,but generally he has been pretty stable.Can think of quite a few of the so called bigger names that have had more than that.