Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 124 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

1 hour ago, thesaint said:

When exactly has O'Donnell been shite.Has played 26 times and i certainly don't remember him having a lot of terrible performances.Two or three maybe,but generally he has been pretty stable.Can think of quite a few of the so called bigger names that have had more than that.

Steve Clarke rates him and he has coached in football for decades. Tambers have zero involvement in the coaching of professional footballers. Howany games have we shipped four or five goals with him in the side? The clues are there.

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, thesaint said:

When exactly has O'Donnell been shite.Has played 26 times and i certainly don't remember him having a lot of terrible performances.Two or three maybe,but generally he has been pretty stable.Can think of quite a few of the so called bigger names that have had more than that.

For me Odonnell hasnt been shite for Scotland. He has done a very solid job at rwb. 

Theres a difference between his performances and his ability. He has played well, done what he is good at and to a certain extent relied upon others in the team to make up for his weaknesses. By that I mean that he isnt particuarly good going forward but our left hand side is very strong and McGinn has been excellent offensively. As a stand alone player his ability isnt great but thats not how football works.

What I would say is that continuing to play with players like Odonnell will only take us so far and I feel like we have reached that stage now. If we want to be reguarly competing with top 20 teams then we need to be good defensively and offensively across the team. Having Patterson at RWB means teams cant concentrate on just our left hand side. That makes every part of our team more dangerous. Potentially it also makes us more vulnerable defensively but hopefully that will be a short term thing as Patterson develops.

Hickey had a great game at RWB today.

He almost scored a beauty of a goal. Hickey Backheeled a through ball to Arnautovic, then ran on. Hickey got the ball back cut in on his man just outside the 6 yard box and curled it just past the far post. 

For Bologna's first goal Hickey whiped in a swerving far post cross. The left wingback got to it and passed it across for a tap in.

I have to say Hickey is a fantastic technical player. He may not be fully there yet physically but in 2/3 years, I can definitely see Hickey being talked about as a top 10 LWB or RWB. 

You have to say well done to the lad on backing himself. He knew he wouldn't get gametime at Bayern and wanted to play week in and out at a higher level. 90% of kids his age would have taken the easy money and facilities at Bayern over potential first team football at Bologna. 

18 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Good to hear.

Times have slightly changed in being good on the ball and fast are more important (to a lot of managers) than simply being tall and strong. Obviously having it all is ideal but someone like Tierney isn’t held back by being only 5’10.

Really hope King and Lowry get lots of starts next season. Could see a change of manager there again though possibly? Which could mix it all up again. 

I mean my pick for Rangers manager before Gio got the job was Knudtsen, so if Gio fails and leaves. I'd try for Knudtsen. Guys is the perfect manager for a club wanting to pick up cheaper players to develop and bring through youth, while playing good football. 

I'll be shocked if Lowry isn't part of the midfield rotation next season. If he isn't then he will probably run his contract down and leave for free.

Another promising lad to watch, that has benefitted massively from men's football with the B team is the LB Fraser. Probably not next season but the one after that, I can see him being part of Rangers main team (as back up to Bassey).

8 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

For me Odonnell hasnt been shite for Scotland. He has done a very solid job at rwb. 

Theres a difference between his performances and his ability. He has played well, done what he is good at and to a certain extent relied upon others in the team to make up for his weaknesses. By that I mean that he isnt particuarly good going forward but our left hand side is very strong and McGinn has been excellent offensively. As a stand alone player his ability isnt great but thats not how football works.

What I would say is that continuing to play with players like Odonnell will only take us so far and I feel like we have reached that stage now. If we want to be reguarly competing with top 20 teams then we need to be good defensively and offensively across the team. Having Patterson at RWB means teams cant concentrate on just our left hand side. That makes every part of our team more dangerous. Potentially it also makes us more vulnerable defensively but hopefully that will be a short term thing as Patterson develops.

Perfectly put. 

12 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Hickey had a great game at RWB today.

He almost scored a beauty of a goal. Hickey Backheeled a through ball to Arnautovic, then ran on. Hickey got the ball back cut in on his man just outside the 6 yard box and curled it just past the far post. 

For Bologna's first goal Hickey whiped in a swerving far post cross. The left wingback got to it and passed it across for a tap in.

I have to say Hickey is a fantastic technical player. He may not be fully there yet physically but in 2/3 years, I can definitely see Hickey being talked about as a top 10 LWB or RWB. 

You have to say well done to the lad on backing himself. He knew he wouldn't get gametime at Bayern and wanted to play week in and out at a higher level. 90% of kids his age would have taken the easy money and facilities at Bayern over potential first team football at Bologna. 

I said it weeks ago, he has the potential to be better than Robbo and Tierney...he's nae Stephen ODonnell though 

14 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Absolutely this...yes, SOD has worked tirelessly for the cause and yes he has had some good games but at the level we want to compete at we want and need someone that is better on our right side. I've a rotten memory, but there have been matches where he has been given the entire right hand side of the pitch to himself because opposition know that he doesn't have the pace or the technical ability to cause them any problems, therefore they concentrate on defending against Robertson on the opposite flank in the hope that we will attempt to go down our own right side. I watch the guy play for Motherwell and in terms of technical ability he isn't in our 1st XI let alone in Scotlands. 

To have amassed so many caps and to have played at the venues he has done just makes him the luckiest man alive

11 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Absolutely this...yes, SOD has worked tirelessly for the cause and yes he has had some good games but at the level we want to compete at we want and need someone that is better on our right side. I've a rotten memory, but there have been matches where he has been given the entire right hand side of the pitch to himself because opposition know that he doesn't have the pace or the technical ability to cause them any problems, therefore they concentrate on defending against Robertson on the opposite flank in the hope that we will attempt to go down our own right side. I watch the guy play for Motherwell and in terms of technical ability he isn't in our 1st XI let alone in Scotlands. 

To have amassed so many caps and to have played at the venues he has done just makes him the luckiest man alive

He probably would do okay at Motherwell if he had a 100 and 50 yards of open space to play in. 

Hopefully the emergence of a threat on his side will allow more space on the left and we can think about stepping up a level

It is hard to think of a less natuarly talented player with as high a number of caps compared to their ability 

Alan Rough springs to mind for me,although there is probably a milion players on one cap

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Yep bang on. Completely hamstrung down one side of the pitch which changes the whole ethos of the oppositions approach if he’s playing.

Ralston is behind Patterson but even Ralston flies down the right at pace, sets up goals & is a goal threat - all of which O’Donnell isn’t. He’s also as good a defender. 

Unsure where the obsession with claiming a very average player isn’t average comes from. 

He’s done amazing to get the caps he has but he shouldn’t even get in our squads now. 

On 4/6/2022 at 9:11 AM, mccaughey85 said:

Hes not been shite, hes played quite well in the majority of his games. 

We have a better option now in patterson but o donnell has done reasonably well for us and deserves some positive recognition for his service. 

Agreed. 

I couldn;t care less how he plays for Motherwell. 

I said it weeks ago, he has the potential to be better than Robbo and Tierney...he's nae Stephen ODonnell though 

Potential. That;s all it is just now. Time will tell but Robertson is a mainstay in one of the best teams in Europe, Hickey as a long way to go before he's anywhere near that level. 

His best chance of a regular game will be on the right. Up to him and Patterson to fight it out. 

Worse players than SOD with more caps for us. He's performed against some of the best players in the world and rarely let us down. Wembley, away to Serrbia etc. 

He's limited, nobody is denying that but he's rarely let us down and for the vast majority of those caps, there was nobody coming through that was a better option. IF Patterson was playing every week then SOD would have not got to 26 caps. 

Fair play to him though, rarely lets us down and can tell he knows he;s unbelievably lucky and values every time he's called up. 

Edited by Squirrelhumper

42 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Yep bang on. Completely hamstrung down one side of the pitch which changes the whole ethos of the oppositions approach if he’s playing.

Ralston is behind Patterson but even Ralston flies down the right at pace, sets up goals & is a goal threat - all of which O’Donnell isn’t. He’s also as good a defender. 

Unsure where the obsession with claiming a very average player isn’t average comes from. 

He’s done amazing to get the caps he has but he shouldn’t even get in our squads now. 

SOD is in for cover now, Patterson is the first choice. Clarke can trust SOD, he know's he can slot in. 

Not sure having Ralston and Patterson who can;t get a game for their clubs in the same squad is a good idea for a play off,  That said, i'd imagine SOD will start a play off in the summer rather than Ralston or Hickey. 

Lookong forward to the meltdown already, 

54 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Nobody says he isn't an average player, but surely that reflects well on him playing against some big hitters and not letting us down. That is an achievement in itself. Patterson if fit should play, but he isn't. As for him producing shite displays.. i am certainly willing to be educated.Name the games that he has been shite in. Two or three maybe, but certainly no worse than others with similar amount of caps. 

36 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Worse players than SOD with more caps for us. He's performed against some of the best players in the world and rarely let us down. Wembley, away to Serrbia etc. 

He's limited, nobody is denying that but he's rarely let us down and for the vast majority of those caps, there was nobody coming through that was a better option. IF Patterson was playing every week then SOD would have not got to 26 caps. 

Fair play to him though, rarely lets us down and can tell he knows he;s unbelievably lucky and values every time he's called up. 

Name a player that was worse than SOD but has almost 30 caps

33 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Plenty bog standard players with that amount. Darren Jackson, Andy Webster, Gary Caldwell to name but three. Had there been better options he wouldn't have 26 caps but for the vast amount of his caps, he's been the best option. Folk were falling over themsleves for him to have a howler at Wembley. Was quite sad to see Sootland "fans" that desperate for one of their players to fail just so they could prove a point.

2 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Plenty bog standard players with that amount. Darren Jackson, Andy Webster, Gary Caldwell to name but three. Had there been better options he wouldn't have 26 caps but for the vast amount of his caps, he's been the best option. Folk were falling over themsleves for him to have a howler at Wembley. Was quite sad to see Sootland "fans" that desperate for one of their players to fail just so they could prove a point.

Those 3 players were miles ahead of him mate

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

SOD is in for cover now, Patterson is the first choice. Clarke can trust SOD, he know's he can slot in. 

Not sure having Ralston and Patterson who can;t get a game for their clubs in the same squad is a good idea for a play off,  That said, i'd imagine SOD will start a play off in the summer rather than Ralston or Hickey. 

Lookong forward to the meltdown already, 

If Patterson doesn’t start next season as RB for Everton how can we really expect him to be first choice for Scotland? Same goes for gilmour, terrible choice going to Norwich. Set him back. Two terrific talents currently doing sweet FA. 

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Yes. That performance at wembley must have been a sweet one for him. No better feeling than being able to say... GET IT RIGHT F.. KING UP YOU. Just sad he was saying it to some of our SUPPORT as well as the english media. 

3 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Steve Crawford, Barry Bannan, Scott Gemmill…

plenty of folk that era won lots of caps and were of a similar ability to SOD. SOD has been lucky enough to have played with better players and has been part of a team which has got some decent results. He played his role in a number of good wins. No need for the drama around how shite he is. He’ll be moved on soon enough, but in the meantime he has played a part. 

1 hour ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Steve Crawford, Barry Bannan, Scott Gemmill…

plenty of folk that era won lots of caps and were of a similar ability to SOD. SOD has been lucky enough to have played with better players and has been part of a team which has got some decent results. He played his role in a number of good wins. No need for the drama around how shite he is. He’ll be moved on soon enough, but in the meantime he has played a part. 

Scot Gemmill? Are you having a laugh? He played over 350 games for Forest and Everton...he was significantly better than a Stephen ODonnell that got hunted from League2 Luton. Bannan and Crawford were far better players too.

Edited by 0Neils40yarder