Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 125 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

11 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Scot Gemmill? Are you having a laugh? He played over 350 games for Forest and Everton...he was significantly better than a Stephen ODonnell that got hunted from League2 Luton. Bannan and Crawford were far better players too.

Haha! Fair enough to call me out on Gemmil. My memory of these years somewhat hazy! Clearly had a better club career than I remembered.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Plenty bog standard players with that amount. Darren Jackson, Andy Webster, Gary Caldwell to name but three. Had there been better options he wouldn't have 26 caps but for the vast amount of his caps, he's been the best option. Folk were falling over themsleves for him to have a howler at Wembley. Was quite sad to see Sootland "fans" that desperate for one of their players to fail just so they could prove a point.

Nope. Not having that. Gary Caldwell has 55 caps for Scotland. Which puts him in the top 20 of all time. He was the captain of a Premier League team in England and played for Celtic in the Champions League for many years. 

He might have had the odd bad game near the end of his career when injuries were taking over, but overall Caldwell was international class. Let's not forget he was the hero at Hampden vs France as well.

11 hours ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Steve Crawford, Barry Bannan, Scott Gemmill…

plenty of folk that era won lots of caps and were of a similar ability to SOD. SOD has been lucky enough to have played with better players and has been part of a team which has got some decent results. He played his role in a number of good wins. No need for the drama around how shite he is. He’ll be moved on soon enough, but in the meantime he has played a part. 

Nailed it with Crawford. 

All of the players (with the exception of Crawford who was capped in an era where we had virtually no good players or certainly strikers) named as “the same” ability as SOD are vastly superior players who, for example, played for Celtic in the champs league or the English premiership. Comparing SOD to them is laughable. He is a lower level SPL/league 1 standard player. 

SOD has also struggled for game time at times this season in an average Motherwell side. I don’t think his appearances will exceed Ralstons? And his assists and goals will certainly be significantly below his. 

If you say a player isn’t good based on the fact he isn’t good, you’re a “fan”. Laughable. 

Credit where it is due he gives everything, however, we have far better options now & he should be miles off contention.

Edited by ProudScot

On 4/12/2022 at 2:31 AM, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I mean my pick for Rangers manager before Gio got the job was Knudtsen, so if Gio fails and leaves. I'd try for Knudtsen. Guys is the perfect manager for a club wanting to pick up cheaper players to develop and bring through youth, while playing good football. 

I'll be shocked if Lowry isn't part of the midfield rotation next season. If he isn't then he will probably run his contract down and leave for free.

Another promising lad to watch, that has benefitted massively from men's football with the B team is the LB Fraser. Probably not next season but the one after that, I can see him being part of Rangers main team (as back up to Bassey).

If Lowry really is as good as people say he is then he surely will be, considering the players Rangers sign tend to be: lads from EPL academies who haven't made the grade; promising youngsters from the English lower leagues; or promising youngsters from middling European leagues.

On 4/12/2022 at 2:10 PM, 0Neils40yarder said:

Absolutely this...yes, SOD has worked tirelessly for the cause and yes he has had some good games but at the level we want to compete at we want and need someone that is better on our right side. I've a rotten memory, but there have been matches where he has been given the entire right hand side of the pitch to himself because opposition know that he doesn't have the pace or the technical ability to cause them any problems, therefore they concentrate on defending against Robertson on the opposite flank in the hope that we will attempt to go down our own right side. I watch the guy play for Motherwell and in terms of technical ability he isn't in our 1st XI let alone in Scotlands. 

To have amassed so many caps and to have played at the venues he has done just makes him the luckiest man alive

I remember watching O'Donnell playing for Thistle in the old First Division and he used to occasionally get done for pace there - and that was the better part of a decade ago!

People talk a lot about his performance against England - which, admittedly, was very good - but forget about his performance in the preceding game against the Czechs, where it was almost like playing with 10 men, or his performance against Israel in 2018 where he was torn apart so badly by the Israeli LWB he was replaced at right-back for the next round of fixtures by Callum Paterson - who is a centre-forward!

10 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Nailed it with Crawford. 

Crawford at his peak would get into the current squad.

41 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Andy Robertson & Ryan Jack will be playing in European semi finals next month, be nice to have a couple of Scots on show in those finals 

100% agree - seeing Scottish Players playing in Europe at very high level, would be great for them to reach the Final but there is a BUT 

With Scotlands Semi-Final date on Wednesday 1st June I’m sure it would be more beneficial to Scotland if they didn’t make the Final, A.Robertson and R.Jack are the only 2 that spring to mind but from a selfish point of view I’d like all our players to be rested and meet the rest of the Scotland Squad on the Monday after the Scottish Cup Final…..

30 minutes ago, broraboy said:

100% agree - seeing Scottish Players playing in Europe at very high level, would be great for them to reach the Final but there is a BUT 

With Scotlands Semi-Final date on Wednesday 1st June I’m sure it would be more beneficial to Scotland if they didn’t make the Final, A.Robertson and R.Jack are the only 2 that spring to mind but from a selfish point of view I’d like all our players to be rested and meet the rest of the Scotland Squad on the Monday after the Scottish Cup Final…..

The Europa League final is before the Scottish Cup final.

53 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Robertson assist. On another note, quite a few Luton fans saying Campbell should be their player is the season, best midfielder they've had in years, will be playing in prem with our without them, etc

Potential option as we don’t actually have that many deep lying midfielders. Would possibly need to play EPL to be considered though. 

Hickey reguarly playing and playing well at RWB in Italy. 

Cant help be impressed by the young man. Travelling to another country, coping and thriving during the pandemic. Playing in a top league week in week out and now doing it in a couple of positions.

Would be surprised if a top 5 club in one of the big leagues arent looking at him for the summer.

5 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Robertson assist. On another note, quite a few Luton fans saying Campbell should be their player is the season, best midfielder they've had in years, will be playing in prem with our without them, etc

I noticed that too. It's good to hear. 

I always thought he was a decent SPFL midfielder - neat and tidy, works hard but not much pace and would get found out at a better level - but maybe I've underestimated him.  Wouldn't be the first time I've been completely wrong about a player!

12 hours ago, romanticscot said:

The last games he has played as ring wing back. According to Sofascore his ratings have been 6.4, 6.9 and 7.2.  Perhaps he will take Patterson's spot against Ukraine should Nathan not make it. 

It's great that Hickey is showing his versatility and putting in such eye-catching performances in such a tough league.

I have a hunch that Steve Clarke will at least start against Ukraine with what he knows has worked in the past: most likely O'Donnell at right wing back in the event that Patterson doesn't recover in time. With Hickey as a bit of an 'ace up his sleeve' in the event he needs to change things around or if there is an injury somewhere in the defensive line?

(It's maybe unfortunate Hickey wasn't given some minutes at right wing back in the recent friendlies? )

16 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

So now we have a player starring in Serie A as a RWB and people still think O’Donnell should play there 😂

I think there is a case for the manager starting Patterson or O'Donnell in front of Hickey for the Ukraine game. It doesn't necessarily mean that would be my choice. I'll be happy with whatever Steve Clarke decides.

Guest Scot1

Thought Hickey played well yesterday and Bologna were unlucky not to get the 3 points. Still got a lot more to learn / give, especially offensively. But he looked good on the right hand side. If all fit and available, I’d still choose Patterson ahead of him because of his threat going forward.